Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default For once, I wish I lived somewhere icy

"axolotl" wrote in message
On 12/17/2009 8:09 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Ha. A fluke eater, eh? Or blackfish?g

Guilty as charged.

As you know this time of year, in this weather, you can sometimes get ling
in the surf by grabbing them.

I didn't know that, but it doesn't surprise me.

My friend Carl would take his gunning dog for a walk on the beach. The dog
would see the flash of fish, dive in, and strut back with a ling flapping
in her mouth.

These days, I find it is less effort to have the waitress bring the fish
to me.

I have some catching up to do on posting recipes, but you'd probably like my
Broiled Ling with Bacon Bits. So would the dog.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 02:43:30 +0000, the infamous Christopher Tidy
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

P.S: I've heard that it snows in the UK about as much as it does in
Southern California. If I should ever wish to visit it, there is snow
on Mt. Ashland during the winter and spring, and that's within an
hour's drive of me here in Southern Oregon.

Yes, but the lack of snow is made up for by rain. I don't think that
happens in So. Cal., does it?

It's a desert. 15" a year. Well, in a monsoonal year, anyway.

It probably snows here once a year, but it doesn't last long.

Ditto here in So Oregon. We occasionally see flakes but it seldom
sticks around long enough to build up on surfaces (twice in my 7 years
here, IIRC.)

--
Indifference to evidence: Climate alarmists have become brilliantly
adept at changing their terms to suit their convenience. So it's
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

As long as you didn't read the'Nancy Boys' books. ;-)

I'm afraid to even ask what that is.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"axolotl" wrote in message
On 12/16/2009 10:20 PM, ATP* wrote:

I bought a few at Costco for my son. Mrs. Hardy is slim, attractive and
always serves the guests and defers to her husband. They have one fat
friend
who is obsessed with food, and the bad guy was a typical Spanish type,
small
and excitable.....

You need to find the originals at a used book store. Much more
interesting.

I didn't realize that the Hardy Boys novels I read as a kid were revisions
from 1959 on. Also dug up this interesting reference page:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Hardy_Boys

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

As long as you didn't read the'Nancy Boys' books. ;-)

I'm afraid to even ask what that is.

The punch line from an old 'Saturday Night Live' skit about the
network canceling 'The hardy Boys' and 'Nancy Drew' series. "But on the
bright side, they are going combine the shows into 'The Nancy Boys'!"
I think it was done by Dan Ackroid.

--
Offworld checks no longer accepted!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Wes wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

As long as you didn't read the'Nancy Boys' books. ;-)

I'm afraid to even ask what that is.

The punch line from an old 'Saturday Night Live' skit about the
network canceling 'The hardy Boys' and 'Nancy Drew' series. "But on the
bright side, they are going combine the shows into 'The Nancy Boys'!"
I think it was done by Dan Ackroid.

Well, there _is_ a rather cute novel named The Ananzi Boys which uses
several African etc. trickster myths. Not a bad read.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

axolotl wrote:
On 12/16/2009 10:20 PM, ATP* wrote:

I bought a few at Costco for my son. Mrs. Hardy is slim, attractive and
always serves the guests and defers to her husband. They have one fat
friend
who is obsessed with food, and the bad guy was a typical Spanish type,
small
and excitable.....

You need to find the originals at a used book store. Much more
interesting. When my son was (perhaps?) 8, I asked him what was on his
Christmas list. The answer? "An ultralight airplane and a revolver".
Frank Hardy had a revolver.

The originals are much better. In the revised books they substituted
foreign travel for decent writing.

Ed started this... I went off on a jihad to find a photo of a propeller
driven iceboat on the Navesink...puller, not pusher...didn't find it.

There appears to be a fair amount of coincidental places in the Hardy
Boys books and south of Ed in the Bayshore area.

Stratemeyer (who ran the syndicate that published the Hardy Boys books)
has been reported to have had a summer house in Atlantic Highlands
(Bayport). The old mill (on Whippoorwill Valley road), the Shore Road
(upper and lower Scenic Drive), The house on the cliff, the train to New
York, all point to the area.
But the books were ghostwritten by a Canadian. Go figure.

Are you talking about the area around the Bayport, NY? I read that the
town itself is pretty different from the Bayport of the books.

It has finally snowed here. 1/2 inch, maybe 1 inch. Not enough for a
propeller sled yet. But I just acquired another, more climate-suitable
project as an early Christmas present...

Enjoy Christmas!

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Christopher Tidy" wrote in message
axolotl wrote:
[...]

I understand the latest Hardy boys are very close to the originals. Some
guy looked at his kids Hardy Boys book and realized it had been PC'ed. Got
the rights to the originals and got a reissue of the originals.
http://www.mysterynet.com/books/testimony/hardyboys/
Seems to tell the story.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/23/2009 9:48 PM, Christopher Tidy wrote:

Are you talking about the area around the Bayport, NY? I read that the
town itself is pretty different from the Bayport of the books.

I am talking about Atlantic Highlands, NJ, the mythical "Bayport" in
several books.

If you are short of snow, we in Jersey (as in New) can spare you a
couple of feet.

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"axolotl" wrote in message
On 12/23/2009 9:48 PM, Christopher Tidy wrote:

Are you talking about the area around the Bayport, NY? I read that the
town itself is pretty different from the Bayport of the books.

I am talking about Atlantic Highlands, NJ, the mythical "Bayport" in
several books.

If you are short of snow, we in Jersey (as in New) can spare you a couple
of feet.

Kevin Gallimore

We got off easy here -- around 10 inches. What did you get?

My son finished his finals on Friday just as the snow was starting where he
goes to school (Lexington, VA), and they then had a 40-year record, with
around 15 - 18 inches. It took him two days to get home.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/24/2009 12:39 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

We got off easy here -- around 10 inches. What did you get?

About 2 feet, now fast melting.

My son finished his finals on Friday just as the snow was starting where he
goes to school (Lexington, VA), and they then had a 40-year record, with
around 15 - 18 inches. It took him two days to get home.

We got the baby home from Pennsylvania after finals on Friday, before
the storm began. My son came home from Cape Cod (without any problems)
on Wednesday. Everyone is together and life is good.

Ed and Everyone:
Please accept my best wishes during the holidays.

Kevin Gallimore
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"axolotl" wrote in message
On 12/24/2009 12:39 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

We got off easy here -- around 10 inches. What did you get?

About 2 feet, now fast melting.

My son finished his finals on Friday just as the snow was starting where
he
goes to school (Lexington, VA), and they then had a 40-year record, with
around 15 - 18 inches. It took him two days to get home.

We got the baby home from Pennsylvania after finals on Friday, before the
storm began. My son came home from Cape Cod (without any problems) on
Wednesday. Everyone is together and life is good.

'Sounds good. My neighbor across the street has a son at Penn State. He beat
the snow home, just barely, after a late Friday afternoon final. Then he and
the neighbors started watching the driveway for my son. It worried everyone,
but he made it fine.

Ed and Everyone:
Please accept my best wishes during the holidays.

Kevin Gallimore

To you and yours, too, Kevin. It's nice to have everyone together at home.

--
Ed Huntress