Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ohio brush company

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:58:46 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Ignoramus2298" wrote in message
m...
There is a world of difference between cheap brushes (objects made to
look like wire brushes) and good brushes.

I have a four inch stiff knotted cup brush on my angle grinder, it is
in its third year of life and is not showing much wear.

The previous one failed after 3-4 uses.

I would like to know what exactly is the difference in manufacturing
them.

There are some differences in methodology but the wire is the big
difference. Imports use wire that I could buy for $0.50/lb I use wire that
costs $6 to $9/lb. The alloy and temper are very specific to the brush
being made. I use different wire for 4" knot cups than for 6" knot cups,
otherwise it would fracture or wear wrong and not cut correctly.

I picked up a six-pack of so-called wire brushes from HF a year ago
and both the brass and steel brush wires bent over 90 degrees within
the first minute of use, staying that way after I took the pressure
off. They're absolute ****. Cheap import cup brushes have forced me
to wear heavy jacket (for sleeves), full face shield, and muffs (to
keep the wires out of my earlobes) when I use them. Now that I have a
Januwine Ohio Brush cup brush, I can go back to working without all
that super hot protective gear again. It doesn't instantly shed wire
at me. (Face shield and eyeglasses remain, though.)

IOW, there is an extreme difference in brush wire that you can spot
before buying a brush. Bend it. If it stays bent (untempered), run
away. You make good chit, Tawm. People don't run away from your
brushes.

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 04:35:54 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 09:15:12 -0800, the infamous Jon Anderson
scrawled the following:

Buerste wrote:

You bring up an interesting point. I DO believe that we could do retail
sales successfully and we have discussed how to formulate a plan to do
that but it hasn't been a high priority. If you have any suggestions
that you would like to share please send them to me at the address that
you used.

I believe you could do well with a good internet site, and hope such an
effort works it's way up the priority ladder.

Let me echo that.
(Sincerely)

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

We want to redo the existing site and start a new business with a new name
and all. Unfortunately, we don't have "Romantic" products. Sister Pat has
an MBA in Marketing so she has to develop the business plan. I think we
need a number of "Me-To" items that will be symbiotic with our products.
The Food Service market is a ****-load bigger than industrial or home-shop.
And, 80% of my products go into Food Service. If it was up to me, I would
abandon the hardware market entirely.

Why is that, Tom? Don't they rely on you, too? And doesn't the
hardware market make up some of the sales (or become a higher percent
of the sales) when the food service is slow for a time?

We'll see, as soon as we catch up. I
do feel guilty being so stuffed in this economy, I know people are
hurting...but, they STILL go out to eat! Go figure.

My neighbors across the street are an 80 year old man and 50-something
daughter. (His wife died a few years ago) They go out to eat for all
lunches and dinners, 365 days a year. It appears that neither of them
knows how to boil an egg, and neither is willing to learn. Go figure.

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 04:35:54 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

. ..

Buerste wrote:

[...]

I can't compete with the Spanish Prison System for the hardware quality
do-it-yourself market. They are heavily government subsidized, use ****
material and get past US labeling laws.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 03:31:36 -0500, "Buerste"
wrote:

Those are both fake e-mails after I received 10,000 e-mails per day from
people that disagree with me.

You missed the zipped file of bullet casting stuff I sent you. Also
sent it to the contact at the factory, but you must not have gotten
that either. It's been a few weeks.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-12-01, Buerste wrote:

A lot of wire that ends up in import brushes comes from the tire industry.
When they make steel belts they use 20 to 50 spools of wire at a time. When
the first spool runs out they scrap all the rest. Otherwise, the stoppages
to change each spool as it runs out would kill production. This scrap goes
into the cheap brush industry. Often it is brass plated. It's a hard-drawn
steel rather than oil tempered alloy. I use some hard-drawn but it's made
to different specs just for brush wire. Some foreign manufacturers make
good stuff but like American made good stuff, it's just not available to
consumers and is sold for professional use at a much higher cost. Not too
many people understand the difference between a $5 brush and a $25
brush...they look the same.

Thanks Tom. I did not understand the difference until I bought the
expensive one from McMaster-Carr. That one is made by Weiler.

I bought five Osborn knotted cup brushes, thinking that cup brushes
didn't last long. At that point I'd gone through several cheap cup
brushes on a single job. The first Osborn brush lasted me three years.
I'm now onto the second.

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On 2009-12-01, Buerste wrote:

[...]

Maybe that's why it's so hard to find good stuff. Buy a good
one and
it lasts but the guy making them can't sell you any more
because
the one you have is still on the job so the maker goes tits
up, nobody is
buying more. The guy making the junk is busy making more to
keep you,
and him, going. But then you don't get anything done and the
brushes
end up costing you an arm and a leg and you go broke. We
_all_ need
to buy the right tool even if it costs more and if we _all_
did that we'd
all be happy campers, eih?
phil