Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Ohio brush company

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:58:46 -0500, the infamous "Buerste"
scrawled the following:

"Ignoramus2298" wrote in message
m...
There is a world of difference between cheap brushes (objects made to
look like wire brushes) and good brushes.

I have a four inch stiff knotted cup brush on my angle grinder, it is
in its third year of life and is not showing much wear.

The previous one failed after 3-4 uses.

I would like to know what exactly is the difference in manufacturing
them.

There are some differences in methodology but the wire is the big
difference. Imports use wire that I could buy for $0.50/lb I use wire that
costs $6 to $9/lb. The alloy and temper are very specific to the brush
being made. I use different wire for 4" knot cups than for 6" knot cups,
otherwise it would fracture or wear wrong and not cut correctly.

I picked up a six-pack of so-called wire brushes from HF a year ago
and both the brass and steel brush wires bent over 90 degrees within
the first minute of use, staying that way after I took the pressure
off. They're absolute ****. Cheap import cup brushes have forced me
to wear heavy jacket (for sleeves), full face shield, and muffs (to
keep the wires out of my earlobes) when I use them. Now that I have a
Januwine Ohio Brush cup brush, I can go back to working without all
that super hot protective gear again. It doesn't instantly shed wire
at me. (Face shield and eyeglasses remain, though.)

IOW, there is an extreme difference in brush wire that you can spot
before buying a brush. Bend it. If it stays bent (untempered), run
away. You make good chit, Tawm. People don't run away from your
brushes.

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.