Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default convert air compressor to IC engine

I need a second portable air compressor to haul out into the orchard. So I
bought a 13 hp yanmar diesel. I have a nice Quincy 2 stage air compressor
made to run on an electric motor a sittin' on the shelf.

Do they make/sell change parts to run an air pump on a small engine? it must
be simple but I'm not sure what is needed.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-28, Karl Townsend wrote:
I need a second portable air compressor to haul out into the orchard. So I
bought a 13 hp yanmar diesel. I have a nice Quincy 2 stage air compressor
made to run on an electric motor a sittin' on the shelf.

Do they make/sell change parts to run an air pump on a small engine? it must
be simple but I'm not sure what is needed.

What you need is a setup where your motor and pump spin continuously,
but the pump would actually pump air only when needed (and when the
motor comes up to speed).

A Quincy dealer will get you started. You likely need a different
unloader, not electric. Quincys use a special pneumatic unloader that
may be hard to find except at a Quincy dealer.

Your pump may have the right kind of unloader already, but most likely
it does not.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-28, Karl Townsend wrote:
I need a second portable air compressor to haul out into the orchard. So
bought a 13 hp yanmar diesel. I have a nice Quincy 2 stage air compressor
made to run on an electric motor a sittin' on the shelf.

Do they make/sell change parts to run an air pump on a small engine? it
must
be simple but I'm not sure what is needed.

What you need is a setup where your motor and pump spin continuously,
but the pump would actually pump air only when needed (and when the
motor comes up to speed).

A Quincy dealer will get you started. You likely need a different
unloader, not electric. Quincys use a special pneumatic unloader that
may be hard to find except at a Quincy dealer.

Your pump may have the right kind of unloader already, but most likely
it does not.

You may be able to find specific controlls for your compressor, but Grainger
has unloaders for gas powered compressors. All they do is bypass the
discharge to atmosphere.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4TK14?Pid=search
Greg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 11:29:39 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I need a second portable air compressor to haul out into the orchard. So I
bought a 13 hp yanmar diesel. I have a nice Quincy 2 stage air compressor
made to run on an electric motor a sittin' on the shelf.

Do they make/sell change parts to run an air pump on a small engine? it must
be simple but I'm not sure what is needed.

Karl

Check almost any tractor-trailer truck, or air brake, shop. They will
know all about it and have the parts.

But, if memory hasn't failed me, the unloader simply unloads the
compressor when system pressure reaches the "set" value.

Regards,

J.B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-28, Karl Townsend wrote:
[...]

I believe that Quincy unloaders need a control valve that does the
opposite of what this one does. I may very well be mistaken about it,
but I went through this when setting up my Quincy compressor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 28, 11:29*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
I need a second portable air compressor to haul out into the orchard. So I
bought a 13 hp yanmar diesel. I have a nice Quincy 2 stage air compressor
made to run on an electric motor a sittin' on the shelf.

Do they make/sell change parts to run an air pump on a small engine? it must
be simple but I'm not sure what is needed.

Karl

I had a small Speedaire compresser with a 4 hp Briggs and Stratton
engine. It had only a pressure relief valve that was set for 90-100
psi. The engine ran continuously at constant RPM. When the pressure
in the tank reached 100 psi, the relief valve would vent and release
excess pressure. I imagine that if you were to make up such a setup
that you would want to make sure that the relief valve would be
properly sized so that the compressor pump could not overtake it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 28, 5:11*pm, "Greg O" wrote:
You may be able to find specific controlls for your compressor, but Grainger
has unloaders for gas powered compressors. All they do is bypass the
discharge to atmosphere.http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4TK14?Pid=search
Greg-

That's a lot more complex than the Load Genie I've had on my homebrew
electric compressor since the late 70's. It has a sliding valve
operated by the pressure difference between the head and the tank.
Soon after the electric compressor stops the valve slides to seal off
the tank and bleed the line to the head. When the motor starts it
bleeds air briefly, then slides to close the bleed vent and open up to
the tank. Side loading from the plumbing can jam it.

My little Campbell-Hausfeld tankless compressor has an adjustable blow-
off calibrated in pressure. It won't start with much back pressure so
I have to turn it on before connecting an external storage tank. It's
fine for inflating tires out back where I have electricity but not
piped air, but very inefficient for prolonged intermittent use with a
tank.

You could rig up a temporary equivalent from a water-heater relief
valve and separate manual bleed and tank inlet valves.

I watched a gas compressor on a logger's truck recently. It ran at
full speed to fill the tank and then dropped to idle and vented the
compressor head. After he had drawn the tank down a ways the engine
kicked back to full speed. The engine was a Honda. I didn't see a name
on the rest of it, which was mounted too high to examine closely.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When I first read that subject line I envisioned someone adding
fuel injection and a spark plug to an air compressor and trying
to run it as an IC engine. Yikes!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--
Bob Nichols * * * * AT comcast.net I am "RNichols42"

Some clever mechanics in the Air Corps ordnance company my father
commanded in the Phillipines did the reverse; they turned a Jeep
engine into a refrigeration compressor to make ice for the club. My
father contributed by loading his Jeep onto a cargo plane, flying to
Manila, loading up a barrel of whiskey and one of brandy at a brewery,
then driving & flying back.

From what I've heard and read the Fifth Air Force was a free-for-all
from the General on down, though an -extremely- effective one.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The subject had me thinking of those V8's where 4 cylinders were the
engine; the other 4 were the compressor, courtesy of a way different
head.

--
A host is a host from coast to

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The 6 banger versions just had different cams.

David Lesher wrote:
The subject had me thinking of those V8's where 4 cylinders were the
engine; the other 4 were the compressor, courtesy of a way different
head.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 11:29:39 -0600, the infamous "Karl Townsend"
scrawled the following:

I need a second portable air compressor to haul out into the orchard. So I
bought a 13 hp yanmar diesel. I have a nice Quincy 2 stage air compressor
made to run on an electric motor a sittin' on the shelf.

Do they make/sell change parts to run an air pump on a small engine? it must
be simple but I'm not sure what is needed.

I'm sure "they" do. You'll need a vacuum solenoid which can kick it
into higher revs for pumping, and drop it down to idle when the
pressure switch tells it to. And a pulley the right size.

Talked to Grainger or McMaster yet? Or Orchard Supply?

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 17:09:36 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

My little Campbell-Hausfeld tankless compressor has an adjustable blow-
off calibrated in pressure. It won't start with much back pressure so
I have to turn it on before connecting an external storage tank.

Ive got several external tanks..and I simply put a decent check valve on
each outboard tank

Gunner

"Aren't cats Libertarian? They just want to be left alone.
I think our dog is a Democrat, as he is always looking for a handout"
Unknown Usnet Poster

Heh, heh, I'm pretty sure my dog is a liberal - he has no balls.
Keyton
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I need a second portable air compressor to haul out into the orchard. So I
bought a 13 hp yanmar diesel. I have a nice Quincy 2 stage air compressor
made to run on an electric motor a sittin' on the shelf.

Do they make/sell change parts to run an air pump on a small engine? it
must be simple but I'm not sure what is needed.

How bout having the diesel turn a generator head, to drive the compressor
motor ?
If the diesel itself is electric start, you could rig it up so that when the
pressure switch calls for air, it starts the diesel, so the diesel doesn't
have to run all the time.
--
EA

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-29, Existential Angst wrote:
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I need a second portable air compressor to haul out into the orchard. So I
bought a 13 hp yanmar diesel. I have a nice Quincy 2 stage air compressor
made to run on an electric motor a sittin' on the shelf.

Do they make/sell change parts to run an air pump on a small engine? it
must be simple but I'm not sure what is needed.

How bout having the diesel turn a generator head, to drive the compressor
motor ?
If the diesel itself is electric start, you could rig it up so that when the
pressure switch calls for air, it starts the diesel, so the diesel doesn't
have to run all the time.

This is about the worst use of a diesel engine that you can think.

Plus, the starting diesel would have troubles starting the compressor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:...

Ive got several external tanks..and I simply put a decent check valve on
each outboard tank

Gunner

I have one small tank set up with a ball valve and male disconnect
that will deliver a BIG blast of air to seat a tire bead etc.
Otherwise, check valves.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-29, Existential Angst wrote:
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I need a second portable air compressor to haul out into the orchard. So
bought a 13 hp yanmar diesel. I have a nice Quincy 2 stage air compressor
made to run on an electric motor a sittin' on the shelf.

Do they make/sell change parts to run an air pump on a small engine? it
must be simple but I'm not sure what is needed.

How bout having the diesel turn a generator head, to drive the compressor
motor ?
If the diesel itself is electric start, you could rig it up so that when
the
pressure switch calls for air, it starts the diesel, so the diesel
doesn't
have to run all the time.

This is about the worst use of a diesel engine that you can think.

Why?
Then how bout a gas driven generator head?

Keep in mind that almost all diesel locomotives use the diesel to drive a
generator, which drives electric traction motors -- thousands of hp worth.

Plus, the starting diesel would have troubles starting the compressor.

Well, mebbe some kind of timed clutch? Or delayed unloader valve?

Or, since jthe OP was going to leave the direct-drive diesel on all the
time, just leave the generator on all the time, and let the compressor kick
on/off normally. I was just thinking of ways to save energy/fuel.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wayback in the 70s, I had a small 2HP electric air compressor that I wanted
to convert to gas engine power.
This pump was nothing like a Quincy, just a 2-cylinder, single stage pump
(reed valves in the head).

The parts were available from Campbell Hausfeld, consisting of 2 pneumatic
control valves, and I believe they were referred to as an unloader, and a
governor (no connection to the engine throttle).
I got a new Techumseh 5HP engine (Small Engine Distributors, in the midwest
USA) to replace the 2HP electric.

I don't think the idea was to vent the pump's full displacement air to
atmosphere, but it did prevent the tank pressure from increasing until the
tank pressure dropped to a point where it needed to be increased.
It made a lot of hissing noise out of two small (maybe 1/8" ports), so maybe
it was venting the pump air.

A Quincy distributor/parts dealer should be able to provide the correct
parts to ensure that the setup is safe and operates efficiently.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I need a second portable air compressor to haul out into the orchard. So I
bought a 13 hp yanmar diesel. I have a nice Quincy 2 stage air compressor
made to run on an electric motor a sittin' on the shelf.

Do they make/sell change parts to run an air pump on a small engine? it
must be simple but I'm not sure what is needed.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 01:13:45 -0600, Ignoramus10998

On 2009-11-29, Existential Angst wrote:
"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I need a second portable air compressor to haul out into the orchard. So I
bought a 13 hp yanmar diesel. I have a nice Quincy 2 stage air compressor
made to run on an electric motor a sittin' on the shelf.

Do they make/sell change parts to run an air pump on a small engine? it
must be simple but I'm not sure what is needed.

How bout having the diesel turn a generator head, to drive the compressor
motor ?
If the diesel itself is electric start, you could rig it up so that when the
pressure switch calls for air, it starts the diesel, so the diesel doesn't
have to run all the time.

This is about the worst use of a diesel engine that you can think.

Plus, the starting diesel would have troubles starting the compressor.

An air starter would be good in this application :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:

(...)

An air starter would be good in this application :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM

"There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza."

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 02:05:53 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
tanews.com...
I need a second portable air compressor to haul out into the orchard. So I
bought a 13 hp yanmar diesel. I have a nice Quincy 2 stage air compressor
made to run on an electric motor a sittin' on the shelf.

Do they make/sell change parts to run an air pump on a small engine? it
must be simple but I'm not sure what is needed.

How bout having the diesel turn a generator head, to drive the compressor
motor ?
If the diesel itself is electric start, you could rig it up so that when the
pressure switch calls for air, it starts the diesel, so the diesel doesn't
have to run all the time.

Far too much conversion loss, and way too RUbe Goldberg. (NOT That
there's necessarily anything wrong with that...) You turn gasoline or
diesel fuel into rotational energy at a loss (thermal mostly), then
convert the rotational energy into electricity at a loss, then the
electricty BACK into rotational energy at a loss, just to turn the
compresor head.

If you have the engine running, you turn the compressor head direct
to the engine and cut out all the other conversion losses - the only
reason to be running an electric compressor is when you don't want to
run the prime mover yourself, you buy the energy off the grid.

The smart way is to get the Constant Run Unloader assembly from
Quincy, which will involve a special head with pistons to hold the
intake valves open to eliminate pumping losses. And a second air
cylinder that drops the engine back to idle when the head is unloaded.

And if there is ever a call for electricity out in the field, say to
run a Sawzall for pruning, or flood lights for that 2 AM repair work,
you get a small belt-drive alternator head (1 KW to 5 KW) and belt it
in parallel with the compressor. (And delete or bypass the idle
control when you want power and air at the same time.)

They sell these commercially, search for "air and power" combo.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-30, Bruce L Bergman wrote:
The smart way is to get the Constant Run Unloader assembly from
Quincy, which will involve a special head with pistons to hold the
intake valves open to eliminate pumping losses. And a second air
cylinder that drops the engine back to idle when the head is unloaded.

Just a little by the way, I made my Quincy compressor run in both
Run-On-Demand, as well as Constant Run mode. It is switched by a DPDT
switch.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Quin...-vs-On-Demand/

In reality, I need constant run only when I am sandblasting, which is
rare.