Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg O[_2_] Greg O[_2_] is offline

Default convert air compressor to IC engine

On 2009-11-28, Karl Townsend wrote:
I need a second portable air compressor to haul out into the orchard. So
bought a 13 hp yanmar diesel. I have a nice Quincy 2 stage air compressor
made to run on an electric motor a sittin' on the shelf.

Do they make/sell change parts to run an air pump on a small engine? it
must
be simple but I'm not sure what is needed.

What you need is a setup where your motor and pump spin continuously,
but the pump would actually pump air only when needed (and when the
motor comes up to speed).

A Quincy dealer will get you started. You likely need a different
unloader, not electric. Quincys use a special pneumatic unloader that
may be hard to find except at a Quincy dealer.

Your pump may have the right kind of unloader already, but most likely
it does not.

You may be able to find specific controlls for your compressor, but Grainger
has unloaders for gas powered compressors. All they do is bypass the
discharge to atmosphere.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4TK14?Pid=search
Greg