Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Great metal working.

Pictures of a new Precision Weld jet boat being made.
http://s695.photobucket.com/albums/vv318/mmcwillis/

Lots of nice cutting and welding of aluminum results.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill McKee wrote:
Pictures of a new Precision Weld jet boat being made.
http://s695.photobucket.com/albums/vv318/mmcwillis/

Lots of nice cutting and welding of aluminum results.

Or, for real sailors - recreation of the schooner Atlantic.

http://www.schooner-atlantic.com/atlantic-pictures.htm

Scroll down to Hull Construction!

185 feet on deck
227 feet overall
29 feet beam (!)
16 feet draft
298 tons displacement
18500 square feet of sail

During sea trials in 1903 she hit 20 knots.

Awesome ship.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
Pictures of a new Precision Weld jet boat being made.
http://s695.photobucket.com/albums/vv318/mmcwillis/

Lots of nice cutting and welding of aluminum results.

Or, for real sailors - recreation of the schooner Atlantic.

http://www.schooner-atlantic.com/atlantic-pictures.htm

Scroll down to Hull Construction!

185 feet on deck
227 feet overall
29 feet beam (!)
16 feet draft
298 tons displacement
18500 square feet of sail

During sea trials in 1903 she hit 20 knots.

Awesome ship.

I like speed higher than 20 knots.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 19:43:21 -0700, "Bill McKee"
wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
Pictures of a new Precision Weld jet boat being made.
http://s695.photobucket.com/albums/vv318/mmcwillis/

Lots of nice cutting and welding of aluminum results.

Or, for real sailors - recreation of the schooner Atlantic.

http://www.schooner-atlantic.com/atlantic-pictures.htm

Scroll down to Hull Construction!

185 feet on deck
227 feet overall
29 feet beam (!)
16 feet draft
298 tons displacement
18500 square feet of sail

During sea trials in 1903 she hit 20 knots.

Awesome ship.

I like speed higher than 20 knots.

But powered by the wind? Granted..my Hobi 16 has been radar rated at 42
knots....on Lake Isabella in a 40+ knot wind......

Gunner

Once again, Gunner sets a world record! g (The official record is 37.18
knots, although there are a couple of big cats -- Gizmag and PlayStation --
that may actually be faster. But there are no Hobie 16s in there. g)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
Pictures of a new Precision Weld jet boat being made.
http://s695.photobucket.com/albums/vv318/mmcwillis/

Lots of nice cutting and welding of aluminum results.

Or, for real sailors - recreation of the schooner Atlantic.

http://www.schooner-atlantic.com/atlantic-pictures.htm

Scroll down to Hull Construction!

185 feet on deck
227 feet overall
29 feet beam (!)
16 feet draft
298 tons displacement
18500 square feet of sail

During sea trials in 1903 she hit 20 knots.

Awesome ship.

I like speed higher than 20 knots.

But powered by the wind? Granted..my Hobi 16 has been radar rated at 42
knots....on Lake Isabella in a 40+ knot wind......

Gunner

IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves,
but obviously craves. *The most appropriate response, and perhaps the
cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. *An alternative, if
you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post,
listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. *Just my $0.02
worth.

So, you've got a sailboat, too? I suppose that's a tool you need for
work, and couldn't possibly consider selling it to help pay some of
your bills. ****ing leech.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:40:05 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
my Hobi 16 has been radar rated at 42
knots....on Lake Isabella in a 40+ knot wind......

Once again, Gunner sets a world record! g (The official record is 37.18
knots, although there are a couple of big cats -- Gizmag and PlayStation --
that may actually be faster. But there are no Hobie 16s in there. g)

You forgot to take into account the speed enhancement of being helmed
by Captain 157 IQ who at the age of 10 marched with MLK.
(157/10)*40= 628 knots. How long before gummer backs up his previous
whopper by claiming that he was pacing an F15? :-)

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
[...]

There was a heavy current running that day.
:^)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
[...]

Their lakes must be very different in California. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
[...]

Chuckle...think again...

Call Kern County Sherrifs department and ask for Deputy Bart Collins and
ask him what he clocked the Hobie 16 guys at, using his radar gun. Back
in hummm late 1980s.

Three guys on the hull all trapped out and hauling ass. We finally
busted the mast, it had one of the early fiberglass top sections and it
came un****ed and we had to get towed in. Windancer II sits in my back
40 these days...a 1978 hull, getting soft on the top. Id never take it
back up to Isabella again..the poor old girl would bust in half..but
when she was newer..she was a kick in the ass. Sigh..the desert is
hard on the old Hobies...kills the glass in only a decade. Btw...I
mispoke..that was in MPH, not knots. Barts radar gun only read out in
MPH
Sorry.

Gunner, thinking how much fun he had sailing..been a while since he was
on a fast boat.

Force 5 in the front yard
Ensenada 20 in storage on friends ranch..slow pig....brrrr.....

Missing his Thistle really badly....sigh....

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves,
but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the
cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if
you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post,
listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02
worth."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
Pictures of a new Precision Weld jet boat being made.
http://s695.photobucket.com/albums/vv318/mmcwillis/

Lots of nice cutting and welding of aluminum results.

Or, for real sailors - recreation of the schooner Atlantic.

http://www.schooner-atlantic.com/atlantic-pictures.htm

Scroll down to Hull Construction!

185 feet on deck
227 feet overall
29 feet beam (!)
16 feet draft
298 tons displacement
18500 square feet of sail

During sea trials in 1903 she hit 20 knots.

Awesome ship.

I like speed higher than 20 knots.

But powered by the wind? Granted..my Hobi 16 has been radar rated at 42
knots....on Lake Isabella in a 40+ knot wind......

Gunner

I happen to like my white water jet boat. Sort of like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHye9...eature=related

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
[...]

Land speed wind power record as about 126 mph. I thought a large hobie is
75 or so.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

m...

wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
[...]

"75 or so" what?

Are you saying that Gunner was sailing his Hobie on a dry lake? With wheels?

Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
m...

wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
[...]

wheels? g

In Taft?
He'd have to be.

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

m...

wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
[...]

For a professional scribe, you fail. Was already set as the MPH we were
typing about. Isabella is only about 40 miles from Taft, and the ocean not
much difference is distance. But the valley can get extremely windy. Very
hot and very windy in the summer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
[...]

Thats got one gnarly power plant and jet..mother****er! Damn!

Must be a kick in the ass to run those rapids.

Course..its more fun in a kayak or canoe..but only down stream...G

Gunner

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves,
but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the
cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if
you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post,
listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02
worth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 18:26:33 -0700, "Bill McKee"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

m...

wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
[...]

Lake Isabella gets the wind surfers and sailors when the red lights
start to flash. High Wind warnings..which are a regular affair up
there.

Gunner

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves,
but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the
cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if
you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post,
listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02
worth."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
m...

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

m...

wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
[...]

I knew what you were talking about. And your assertion is ridiculous. I was
trying to avoid saying you're out of your tree and giving you a chance to
say something funny to take the edge off of it. But you missed the chance.

No sailboat in history has ever gone 75 mph, or anything close to it. I have
a reason for knowing and a personal interest, dating back to my days of
racing in Bay City, Michigan and sailing against the guys who *did* hold
many records at the time.

Isabella is only about 40 miles from Taft, and the ocean not much
difference is distance. But the valley can get extremely windy. Very hot
and very windy in the summer.

Very expensive, very special purpose-built boats have topped 40 mph. The
actual record for a wind-driven machine that (nominally) floats on water is
actually a kite board/sailboard -- around 50 knots. I wouldn't call that a
"sailboat."

There are some big, ocean-racing multi-mega-buck cats that may break that
record. One has gone faster than 50 knots but I don't think the speed has
been confirmed. If you have a million bux, you, too, can have one of those
things. Maybe.

Meantime, a one-off boat build by Hobie, the Longshot, may still hold the
Class A record at something like 44 knots (50 mph). That isn't a production
Hobie and it isn't a catamaran:

http://www.hobiecat.com/sailing/TriF..._longshot.html

All of those machines are in a different realm from conventional catamarans.
The world record for a Hobie 16 is 16.90 knots (19.5 mph), set in 1975. That
was the B Class record at the time. More recently, the record for that class
was 37 knots, as I mentioned, but it was nothing like a conventional
catamaran. I see that the B Class record is now 46.5 knots. The boat is
seriously weird:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:YPEndeavour.jpg

Gunner needs a better radar gun. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

That's teh gun the sheriff uses for "them feriners" from outta state...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill McKee wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

(...)

Are you saying that Gunner was sailing his Hobie on a dry lake? With
wheels? g

--
Ed Huntress

For a professional scribe, you fail. Was already set as the MPH we were
typing about. Isabella is only about 40 miles from Taft, and the ocean not
much difference is distance. But the valley can get extremely windy. Very
hot and very windy in the summer.

Yoda, you are?

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Damn, maybe he forget to re-set the "adjustment." g

How 'bout them freaky boats, eh? Did you see the pic of the Endeavour?

For real speed, though, you have to sail on hard water. I had the
opportunity to race DN class iceboats when I was in college. Mamma mia,
sitting in a little open shell, doing 60 mph and trying to keep the thing
from spinning out while dodging the ice-fishing holes, is quite a thrill.
With an apparent wind of around 75 mph and your toes sticking out in the
breeze at 10 below zero, they're a challenge to your blood flow, too. g

Did you ever try one of those things?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
[...]

Nope, more fun in the jet boat. And I have kayak and canoe also.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

(...)

Are you saying that Gunner was sailing his Hobie on a dry lake? With
wheels? g

--
Ed Huntress

For a professional scribe, you fail. Was already set as the MPH we were
typing about. Isabella is only about 40 miles from Taft, and the ocean
not much difference is distance. But the valley can get extremely windy.
Very hot and very windy in the summer.

Yoda, you are?

--Winston

Nope, my grandparents and uncle were farmers in the valley. And except for
irrigation day, I disliked staying at the grandparents in the summer.
Normally I spent most of my time standing in front of the swamp cooler. I
grew up 10 blocks from San Francisco bay and did not aclimatize myself to
115 degree days.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

Here in Texas? Not physically possible.

We did have a little wheeled sailer at the Hondo airport.
It would do well over 30 mph.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

Jeez, do you never leave? g?

We did have a little wheeled sailer at the Hondo airport.
It would do well over 30 mph.

Try 90 in a Skeeter class iceboat. You won't believe it until you do it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

No. Why?

We did have a little wheeled sailer at the Hondo airport.
It would do well over 30 mph.

Try 90 in a Skeeter class iceboat. You won't believe it until you do it.

No. Why????

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

There's more to life than Texas. g

We did have a little wheeled sailer at the Hondo airport.
It would do well over 30 mph.

Try 90 in a Skeeter class iceboat. You won't believe it until you do it.

No. Why????

For the same reason you fly airplanes. It's something a real sailor
shouldn't miss. You probably won't be allowed in a Skeeter, though, unless
somebody thinks you know what you're doing. Get a ride in a DN. Fifty or 60
mph under sail is enough to get the idea.

And flights to Minneapolis are cheap in the winter. You may pay through the
nose, however, to leave.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 21:00:35 -0700, "Bill McKee"
wrote:

"Winston" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
[...]

But Bill..its a dry heat.

Chuckle

Gunner

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves,
but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the
cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if
you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post,
listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02
worth."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

What? New Jersey?

Hmmp

We did have a little wheeled sailer at the Hondo airport.
It would do well over 30 mph.
Try 90 in a Skeeter class iceboat. You won't believe it until you do it.

No. Why????

For the same reason you fly airplanes. It's something a real sailor
shouldn't miss. You probably won't be allowed in a Skeeter, though, unless
somebody thinks you know what you're doing. Get a ride in a DN. Fifty or 60
mph under sail is enough to get the idea.

And flights to Minneapolis are cheap in the winter. You may pay through the
nose, however, to leave.

Freezing point in Texas is anything under 60 degrees.
Who am I to argue with tradition?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
.... iceboats ... sitting in a little open shell, doing 60 mph ...

****, sounds like an opportunity to get yourself really mangled - bones
broken and limbs pointing in funny directions! 'Course that is what
makes it so exciting.

Only if I was much younger ... maybe,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
... iceboats ... sitting in a little open shell, doing 60 mph ...

****, sounds like an opportunity to get yourself really mangled - bones
broken and limbs pointing in funny directions! 'Course that is what makes
it so exciting.

Only if I was much younger ... maybe,
Bob

You wear a helmet. And ice is slippery, if you should get dumped out of the
boat. g

Just don't hit anything. And watch out for those ice-fishing holes.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
... iceboats ... sitting in a little open shell, doing 60 mph ...

****, sounds like an opportunity to get yourself really mangled - bones
broken and limbs pointing in funny directions! 'Course that is what makes
it so exciting.

Only if I was much younger ... maybe,
Bob

You wear a helmet. And ice is slippery, if you should get dumped out of the
boat. g

I was imagining the whole thing tumbling over the ice, but I guess
that's pretty unlikely - sliding would come way before tumbling.

Just don't hit anything. And watch out for those ice-fishing holes.

They're pretty small, aren't they - 10" or so?

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

If you never leave Texas, how would you know? d8-)

We did have a little wheeled sailer at the Hondo airport.
It would do well over 30 mph.
Try 90 in a Skeeter class iceboat. You won't believe it until you do
it.

No. Why????

For the same reason you fly airplanes. It's something a real sailor
shouldn't miss. You probably won't be allowed in a Skeeter, though,
unless somebody thinks you know what you're doing. Get a ride in a DN.
Fifty or 60 mph under sail is enough to get the idea.

And flights to Minneapolis are cheap in the winter. You may pay through
the nose, however, to leave.

Freezing point in Texas is anything under 60 degrees.
Who am I to argue with tradition?

You need cleaner water. The clean stuff freezes around 32.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
... iceboats ... sitting in a little open shell, doing 60 mph ...

****, sounds like an opportunity to get yourself really mangled - bones
broken and limbs pointing in funny directions! 'Course that is what
makes it so exciting.

Only if I was much younger ... maybe,
Bob

You wear a helmet. And ice is slippery, if you should get dumped out of
the boat. g

I was imagining the whole thing tumbling over the ice, but I guess that's
pretty unlikely - sliding would come way before tumbling.

No, if you lift a runner and she goes over, you just get dumped out
sideways. The mast keeps the boat from tumbling. I'd rather get dumped out
of an ice boat than pitch-poled out of a catamaran.

But you shouldn't do that. You're supposed to stay upright. d8-)

Just don't hit anything. And watch out for those ice-fishing holes.

They're pretty small, aren't they - 10" or so?

Right. If you're moving fast, you just fly over them. The trouble is the
mounds of ice chips that the goms just leave in heaps around the hole. They
freeze solid and they can snap a runner off the boat.

Since I did some iceboating, I make sure I spread the chips around when I
dig an ice-fishing hole. But we don't have much ice fishing or ice boating
in NJ anymore.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
... iceboats ... sitting in a little open shell, doing 60 mph ...

****, sounds like an opportunity to get yourself really mangled - bones
broken and limbs pointing in funny directions! 'Course that is what
makes it so exciting.

Only if I was much younger ... maybe,
Bob

You wear a helmet. And ice is slippery, if you should get dumped out of
the boat. g

Just don't hit anything. And watch out for those ice-fishing holes.

--
Ed Huntress

fascinating article...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_boat

possible speeds of 150(?!!)

Yeah, in the faster Skeeters and the old stern-steerers (I didn't see them
mention that those old-time boats are usually called "Big Boats."). You can
see from the photos of the DNs what I was saying about being stuck out in
the breeze. Think sub-xero temperatures. Think apparent wind speeds three
times faster than the actual wind speed. Think coooold... g

I wonder why the only clubs they listed are in NJ? This isn't exactly an
ice-sailing hotspot these days. Not for most of the last century, in fact.
Global warming, ya' know. g

at the end it mentions iceboating being a possible olympic event in 2012.

ed, you've seen this stuff before, right?

http://home.swipnet.se/ansar/s.html

the video is cool and funny. VERY strange looking thing moving quickly
across a flat white surface. like maybe a very large space insect.

Well, I've tried skate-sailing, but those are a lot higher-tech sails than I
remember. We used something that was just a big kite, which you held onto
with the crossbars. You could go, oh, maybe 20 or 30 mph with them in a
stiff breeze. I'm not excited about the idea of doing 100 mph with a skate
sail.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Winston" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
[...]

Funny, but you never hear that in Florida. Thank God for summertime
when all the pests go back to New Jersy!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...

Ed Huntress wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...

Ed Huntress wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...

Ed Huntress wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

The really clean stuff we get in Europe freezes about 0C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"David Billington" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...

Ed Huntress wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...

Ed Huntress wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...

Ed Huntress wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

But that's a self-referential term. You could have set it anywhere. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on
or about Sat, 31 Oct 2009 00:06:13 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Nope, my grandparents and uncle were farmers in the valley. And except for
irrigation day, I disliked staying at the grandparents in the summer.
Normally I spent most of my time standing in front of the swamp cooler. I
grew up 10 blocks from San Francisco bay and did not aclimatize myself to
115 degree days.

But Bill..its a dry heat.

Yeah, so? Over 100 it is just hot. Dry heat just makes it less
miserable.

"It was a 106 in the shade this afternoon.
"Good thing we were not in the shade, right?"

Conversation in my youth, after spending a day at the base pool.

pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Winston" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
[...]

Dry heat, wet heat. It still sucked. A farm 5 miles from Turlock and not
a lot to do. Sucked as a kid without a drivers license. Too young.

metal working [email protected] Metalworking 0 December 10th 07 08:05 AM
metal working Mike Henry Metalworking 16 April 11th 06 05:26 PM
Metal working tools for sheet metal... slightly different take than usual John Kelly Metalworking 0 November 12th 03 01:06 PM
FS: TABLE TENNIS KIT (GREAT WOOD WORKING PROJECT) js Woodworking 1 August 6th 03 09:29 PM