Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Great metal working.

"William Wixon" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
... iceboats ... sitting in a little open shell, doing 60 mph ...

****, sounds like an opportunity to get yourself really mangled - bones
broken and limbs pointing in funny directions! 'Course that is what
makes it so exciting.

Only if I was much younger ... maybe,
Bob

You wear a helmet. And ice is slippery, if you should get dumped out of
the boat. g

Just don't hit anything. And watch out for those ice-fishing holes.

--
Ed Huntress

fascinating article...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_boat

possible speeds of 150(?!!)

Yeah, in the faster Skeeters and the old stern-steerers (I didn't see them
mention that those old-time boats are usually called "Big Boats."). You can
see from the photos of the DNs what I was saying about being stuck out in
the breeze. Think sub-xero temperatures. Think apparent wind speeds three
times faster than the actual wind speed. Think coooold... g

I wonder why the only clubs they listed are in NJ? This isn't exactly an
ice-sailing hotspot these days. Not for most of the last century, in fact.
Global warming, ya' know. g

at the end it mentions iceboating being a possible olympic event in 2012.

ed, you've seen this stuff before, right?

http://home.swipnet.se/ansar/s.html

the video is cool and funny. VERY strange looking thing moving quickly
across a flat white surface. like maybe a very large space insect.

Well, I've tried skate-sailing, but those are a lot higher-tech sails than I
remember. We used something that was just a big kite, which you held onto
with the crossbars. You could go, oh, maybe 20 or 30 mph with them in a
stiff breeze. I'm not excited about the idea of doing 100 mph with a skate
sail.

--
Ed Huntress