Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Great metal working.

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 18:26:33 -0700, "Bill McKee"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Bill McKee" wrote in message
m...

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 19:43:21 -0700, "Bill McKee"
wrote:

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Bill McKee wrote:
Pictures of a new Precision Weld jet boat being made.
http://s695.photobucket.com/albums/vv318/mmcwillis/

Lots of nice cutting and welding of aluminum results.

Or, for real sailors - recreation of the schooner Atlantic.

http://www.schooner-atlantic.com/atlantic-pictures.htm

Scroll down to Hull Construction!

185 feet on deck
227 feet overall
29 feet beam (!)
16 feet draft
298 tons displacement
18500 square feet of sail

During sea trials in 1903 she hit 20 knots.

Awesome ship.

I like speed higher than 20 knots.

But powered by the wind? Granted..my Hobi 16 has been radar rated at 42
knots....on Lake Isabella in a 40+ knot wind......

Gunner

Once again, Gunner sets a world record! g (The official record is
37.18 knots, although there are a couple of big cats -- Gizmag and
PlayStation -- that may actually be faster. But there are no Hobie 16s
in there. g)

--
Ed Huntress

Land speed wind power record as about 126 mph. I thought a large hobie
is 75 or so.

"75 or so" what?

Are you saying that Gunner was sailing his Hobie on a dry lake? With
wheels? g

--
Ed Huntress

For a professional scribe, you fail. Was already set as the MPH we were
typing about. Isabella is only about 40 miles from Taft, and the ocean not
much difference is distance. But the valley can get extremely windy. Very
hot and very windy in the summer.

Lake Isabella gets the wind surfers and sailors when the red lights
start to flash. High Wind warnings..which are a regular affair up
there.

Gunner

"IMHO, some people here give Jeff far more attention than he deserves,
but obviously craves. The most appropriate response, and perhaps the
cruelest, IMO, is to simply killfile and ignore him. An alternative, if
you must, would be to post the same standard reply to his every post,
listing the manifold reasons why he ought to be ignored. Just my $0.02
worth."