Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

Default metal working

"tony stramella" wrote in message
Is there anyone out there who wants to talk shop?

Not so many as a few years ago here, but you can usually get at least a few
good responses to a well-formed question.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
tony stramella

Is there anyone out there who wants to talk shop?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
*

tony stramella wrote in article
Is there anyone out there who wants to talk shop?

There's another thread out there talking about scrap metal prices in San
Fernando. I believe 59-cents-per-pound was mentioned.

In Maine, I'm paying 35-cents-per-pound for scrap steel and a buck-a-pound
for scrap aluminum.....

What are others paying around the USA and in other countries???????

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

In Maine, I'm paying 35-cents-per-pound for scrap steel and a buck-a-pound
for scrap aluminum.....

What are others paying around the USA and in other countries???????

Holy Crap, I'm selling my scrap for only $28 a ton. Mostly 19 ga cold
rolled dead-soft for stampings. I did scrap about 25 tons of old machines
that were mostly cast iron. It seems the scrap yards are profiting ok. I
wish I could find a market for scrap steel wire that is 1", it clogs the
machines at the scrap yard and they wont take it, I have to pay for
landfill. I wonder if it was mixed with concrete???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Replogle

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 07:37:07 -0400, (tony
stramella) wrote:

Is there anyone out there who wants to talk shop?

you *do* realize this is a metalworking forum?

Troll??????
--
Randy Replogle

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john

Clean mild steel is worth about 100 per ton. The foundrys are looking
for that stuff. No oil, no paint. Stampings are easy to handle too.

John

Tom Gardner wrote:
In Maine, I'm paying 35-cents-per-pound for scrap steel and a buck-a-pound
for scrap aluminum.....

What are others paying around the USA and in other countries???????

Holy Crap, I'm selling my scrap for only $28 a ton. Mostly 19 ga cold
rolled dead-soft for stampings. I did scrap about 25 tons of old machines
that were mostly cast iron. It seems the scrap yards are profiting ok. I
wish I could find a market for scrap steel wire that is 1", it clogs the
machines at the scrap yard and they wont take it, I have to pay for
landfill. I wonder if it was mixed with concrete???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
R. Zimmerman

Locally there is a machine shop that has an arrangement with an auto
wrecker. They load the cars up with the cuttings before they flatten them.
The wrecker gets the chips for free and it adds to the weight of the
flattened cars.
I am not sure what happens at final compaction but by then the wrecker has
his money.
Randy

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. com...

Holy Crap, I'm selling my scrap for only $28 a ton. Mostly 19 ga cold
rolled dead-soft for stampings. I did scrap about 25 tons of old machines
that were mostly cast iron. It seems the scrap yards are profiting ok. I
wish I could find a market for scrap steel wire that is 1", it clogs the
machines at the scrap yard and they wont take it, I have to pay for
landfill. I wonder if it was mixed with concrete???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 13:41:22 GMT, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

In Maine, I'm paying 35-cents-per-pound for scrap steel and a buck-a-pound
for scrap aluminum.....

What are others paying around the USA and in other countries???????

Holy Crap, I'm selling my scrap for only $28 a ton. Mostly 19 ga cold
rolled dead-soft for stampings. I did scrap about 25 tons of old machines
that were mostly cast iron. It seems the scrap yards are profiting ok. I
wish I could find a market for scrap steel wire that is 1", it clogs the
machines at the scrap yard and they wont take it, I have to pay for
landfill. I wonder if it was mixed with concrete???

I'd separate out those wire trimmings from the rest of the scrap
stream and put them in 55-gallon barrels, and arrange for them to go
straight to the Mini-Mill - the scrap yard may be able to and bypass
the sorting machines, put it straight into the proper roll-off
container.

You may not get paid as much, but you shouldn't have to pay to throw
good metal scrap away. The Mini-Mills love high-quality clean scrap,
and the fine chopped consistency is a plus - they pour it in a carbon
arc furnace, heat it through and analyze the melt, mix in a few trace
metals, and it'll be Rebar by tomorrow.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Cutt

* wrote:
tony stramella wrote in article

Is there anyone out there who wants to talk shop?

There's another thread out there talking about scrap metal prices in San
Fernando. I believe 59-cents-per-pound was mentioned.

In Maine, I'm paying 35-cents-per-pound for scrap steel and a buck-a-pound
for scrap aluminum.....

What are others paying around the USA and in other countries???????

I pay $.35 for steel and $2.00 for brass (scrap). I have not bought
aluminum in a long time so not sure what the going rate is .
British Columbia
Ken Cutt

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

Is there anyone out there who wants to talk shop?

Definitely. I prefer it to all this snivelling political crap.

There's another thread out there talking about scrap metal prices in San
Fernando. I believe 59-cents-per-pound was mentioned.

In Maine, I'm paying 35-cents-per-pound for scrap steel and a
buck-a-pound
for scrap aluminum.....

What are others paying around the USA and in other countries???????

I pay $.35 for steel and $2.00 for brass (scrap). I have not bought
aluminum in a long time so not sure what the going rate is . British
Columbia
Ken Cutt

My supplier has a flat rate of 30 cents a pound for steel, stainless, or
aluminum. BUT, it can't be over three square feet or so. Good for small
projects where you need a small piece. They custom cut a lot of stuff, and
have humongous rem barrels that they have picked up every week.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default selling scrap

OK, I've accumulated a relatively small amount of scrap metal that I
need to sell to a local recycler (North Texas)

Some of this is high-grade cast iron - mazda rotary housings. It has
some steel fateners attached. Will I get more for these if all fasteners
are removed, and the castings degreased?

Same with the aluminum housings - remove all steel?
These housings have a thick layer of chromium in the interior wear
surface - approx 70 square inches per housing. This is much thicker than
your typical cosmetic surface chrome. Does that make them any more or
less valuable?

Also have a car shell loaded. I figure they must take off a certain
amount for glass and plastic. Any idea how they figure that? Any
suggestions for minimizing that?
I have been tossing my mixed and dirty scrap, mostly steel, into this
shell also.

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

tony stramella wrote:
Is there anyone out there who wants to talk shop?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rex B wrote:
Some of this is high-grade cast iron - mazda rotary housings. It
has some steel fateners attached. Will I get more for these if all
fasteners are removed, and the castings degreased?

Ask your scrap yard guys, they'll tell you.

The one I frequent, sells a "mixed load" of iron so there is no
premium for steel over tin etc.

Same with the aluminum housings - remove all steel?

Yes.

At my favorite yard there's "aluminum" and "dirty aluminum" prices,
dirty aluminum ain't worth squat and it's only the iron they kick
about.

These housings have a thick layer of chromium in the interior wear
surface - approx 70 square inches per housing. This is much
thicker than your typical cosmetic surface chrome. Does that make
them any more or less valuable?

Ask them.

Also have a car shell loaded. I figure they must take off a certain
amount for glass and plastic. Any idea how they figure that? Any
suggestions for minimizing that?
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Ask 'em they'll explain their policy to you.

Got any kids? I had a girlfriend whose dad owned a wrecking yard
and she complained about, as a little kid(!) having to strip cars to
ready them to get top prices at the scrap yard.

My favorite scrap yard has a jillion levels of "copper to dirty
brass prices". They explain stuff like that so fast I really can't
repeat it. But the point is, clean the stuff up if you've got
the time to do it, it'll pay. ...but not very well.

But see? That's at "my yard" other yards have that sort of system
for steel and mine don't. Another in town has only two prices...
for copper stuff "copper and brass" but they basically rip you off.

Shop around.

The main reason "my favorite scrap yard" is my favorite is they let
me wander around in there all I want and sell me stuff cheap.

Sometimes I leave with extra money in my pocket sometimes the other
way around.

Alvin in AZ
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

wrote:
Rex B wrote:
[...]

Yep. The one I have been using for car bodies was a low-end recycler
with a junkyard mentality and low communication skills. But I was just
getting rid of something that was in my way, and they gave me $40.

The main reason "my favorite scrap yard" is my favorite is they let
me wander around in there all I want and sell me stuff cheap.

Sometimes I leave with extra money in my pocket sometimes the other
way around.

I'm sure I'll be the same way. One of the local NG lurkers gave me a
heads-up on a good yard, so I'll pay them a visit.

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin

Default selling scrap - Dallas

Rex,

I've been using "Lake June Scrap Metals" just inside the 635 loop.
They pay me 5 cents a pound for cast iron and 60 to 75 cents for
aluminum, depending on alloy. Stainless is 50 cents.

They are somewhat inconsistent, though. Plain aluminum scrap seems to
bring 60 cents, while 6062 alloy is 75. But beverage cans are also 75.

If you hear of a better place, please let me know.

thanks!

Martin

Rex B wrote:
wrote:
Rex B wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john

R. Zimmerman wrote:
Locally there is a machine shop that has an arrangement with an auto
wrecker. They load the cars up with the cuttings before they flatten them.
The wrecker gets the chips for free and it adds to the weight of the
flattened cars.
I am not sure what happens at final compaction but by then the wrecker has
his money.
Randy

I am getting .05/ lb for chips and light iron at the local junk yard. I
have a 1000 lbs of brass chips but the same yard doesn't give much for
that. It goes to another yard at .65 /lb. You have to shop around if
you have a large amount of scrap.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B