Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin

Default selling scrap - Dallas

Rex,

I've been using "Lake June Scrap Metals" just inside the 635 loop.
They pay me 5 cents a pound for cast iron and 60 to 75 cents for
aluminum, depending on alloy. Stainless is 50 cents.

They are somewhat inconsistent, though. Plain aluminum scrap seems to
bring 60 cents, while 6062 alloy is 75. But beverage cans are also 75.

If you hear of a better place, please let me know.

thanks!

Martin

Rex B wrote:
wrote:
Rex B wrote:
Some of this is high-grade cast iron - mazda rotary housings. It
has some steel fateners attached. Will I get more for these if all
fasteners are removed, and the castings degreased?

Ask your scrap yard guys, they'll tell you.

The one I frequent, sells a "mixed load" of iron so there is no
premium for steel over tin etc.

Same with the aluminum housings - remove all steel?

Yes.

At my favorite yard there's "aluminum" and "dirty aluminum" prices,
dirty aluminum ain't worth squat and it's only the iron they kick
about.

These housings have a thick layer of chromium in the interior wear
surface - approx 70 square inches per housing. This is much
thicker than your typical cosmetic surface chrome. Does that make
them any more or less valuable?

Ask them.

Also have a car shell loaded. I figure they must take off a certain
amount for glass and plastic. Any idea how they figure that? Any
suggestions for minimizing that?
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Ask 'em they'll explain their policy to you.

Got any kids? I had a girlfriend whose dad owned a wrecking yard
and she complained about, as a little kid(!) having to strip cars to
ready them to get top prices at the scrap yard.

My favorite scrap yard has a jillion levels of "copper to dirty
brass prices". They explain stuff like that so fast I really can't
repeat it. But the point is, clean the stuff up if you've got
the time to do it, it'll pay. ...but not very well.

But see? That's at "my yard" other yards have that sort of system
for steel and mine don't. Another in town has only two prices...
for copper stuff "copper and brass" but they basically rip you off.

Shop around.

Yep. The one I have been using for car bodies was a low-end recycler
with a junkyard mentality and low communication skills. But I was just
getting rid of something that was in my way, and they gave me $40.

The main reason "my favorite scrap yard" is my favorite is they let
me wander around in there all I want and sell me stuff cheap.

Sometimes I leave with extra money in my pocket sometimes the other
way around.

I'm sure I'll be the same way. One of the local NG lurkers gave me a
heads-up on a good yard, so I'll pay them a visit.

Thanks