Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A.C. motor grease

I use a window air conditioner to keep my tools dry and myself cool
during the summer months. When I took it out last year the motor was
squeaking. So this spring I disassembled it, greased up the motor,
and put it back together. The bearings were completely dry.
Not knowing what kind of grease to use, I put in wheel bearing grease.
Toward the end of the year it started squeaking again. After I shut
it off and later turned it on, the motor wouldn't run anymore.
I was just going to pitch the whole thing, but decided on doing a
post-mortem. The motor turned very stiffly. What grease was in there
was very thick. After cleaning with WD-40, the motor spins ok.
What would be a recommended grease for a motor like this
with sleeve bearings? Or is the motor just going to fail again
since it already has gone squeekers?

Thanks,
Wayne D.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 15:06:40 -0500, Wayne
wrote:

[...]

Oil, not grease. A couple drops of synthetic motor oil would work just
fine - or even standard motor oil. For small motors I've got a little
needle dispenser of "DuraKote" lubricant that works very well.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

AC guys like me use Zoom Spout Turbine Oil, which is
essentially ND-20. Also ND-30 will work. Now, you know why
grease isn't used for electric motors.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wayne" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

As long as it's non detergent.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Oil, not grease. A couple drops of synthetic motor oil would
work just
fine - or even standard motor oil. For small motors I've got
a little
needle dispenser of "DuraKote" lubricant that works very
well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

AC guys like me use Zoom Spout Turbine Oil, which is
essentially ND-20. Also ND-30 will work. Now, you know why
grease isn't used for electric motors.

The furnace in my last house did. The motor had grease caps, and the
label told what grease to use.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Indeed. Standard operating procedure for Swamp Coolers and their cages
and motors.

One buys a "Zoom Oiler" and gives it a few drops on a regular occasion.

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

So that's what I did wrong.
All oiled up and running now, not that I'll need it until next year.

Wayne D.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

.

"Wayne" wrote in message
[...]

I had some 30w ND from McMaster. Lo and behold the label said
for use in electric motors!

Wayne D.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Bruce C. Thornton, a professor of Classics at American University of Cal
State Fresno

I shall look into getting an oiler like that. There's only a million
sheet metal screws to take out before getting to the motor.

Wayne D.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 18:06:21 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

As long as it's non detergent.

And that's not even so critical. Just about any oil is better than
any grease!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 18:40:59 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

AC guys like me use Zoom Spout Turbine Oil, which is
essentially ND-20. Also ND-30 will work. Now, you know why
grease isn't used for electric motors.

The furnace in my last house did. The motor had grease caps, and the
label told what grease to use.

ANd it most likely did not have "sleeve" bearings. Most ball and
roller bearing motors of years past used greese.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wayne wrote:

What would be a recommended grease for a motor like this
with sleeve bearings?

SLEEVE bearings? No WONDER it didn't last! You
don't GREASE
sleeve bearings, you OIL them. There is probably
a big wad of
cotton stuff wrapped around the bearing. You have
to take the
time to soak that pad with oil, probably 10W or
20W non-detergent.
Clean out the grease, oil the bearing heavily as
you reassemble.
Your use of grease may have gummed up the pores in
the porous
oilite bearing, so this may not work well anymore.
I have re-lubed
hundreds of old oilite bearings like this, and
they usually last as long
after the re-lube as they did the first time.
Eventually, the bearing
ID gets worn, the shaft gets rough, the pores get
clogged and the wick
gets gummed up, so it gets harder to repair.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 18:35:40 -0500, the infamous Wayne
scrawled the following:

wrote:

[...]

When you have that housing off is a perfect time to make an access
panel, Wayne. Then it'll only be a couple screws to get inside. Run a
strip of door weatherstripping foam on the cover for an air seal.

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
The furnace in my last house did. The motor had grease caps, and the
label told what grease to use.

What is a "grease cap"? The only thing that comes to
mind when "cap" is mentioned to me is the OILER caps,
those spring loaded thingys. If it's for grease it
usually has Zerks (but not all Zerks are for grease:-) )
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.zoomspoutoiler.com/
"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lewis Hartswick wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
The furnace in my last house did. The motor had grease caps, and the
label told what grease to use.

What is a "grease cap"? The only thing that comes to
mind when "cap" is mentioned to me is the OILER caps,
those spring loaded thingys. If it's for grease it
usually has Zerks (but not all Zerks are for grease:-) )
...lew...

They were threaded brass caps, about 5/8" in diameter. You were
supposed to tighten them two full turns every six months to force fresh
grease into the bearings. When they bottomed out you removed them and
refilled them to start the cycle over. From the design and condition,
it had been through a flood in the early '60s. The entire area was
under water for about a week, and all basements were flooded.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 17, 1:06*pm, Wayne wrote:

Not knowing what kind of grease to use, I put in wheel bearing grease.

Oops. Look for oil for Porite (sintered bronze) bearings. Sewing
machine oil will do in a pinch.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
I shall look into getting an oiler like that. There's only a million
sheet metal screws to take out before getting to the motor.

When you have that housing off is a perfect time to make an access
panel, Wayne. Then it'll only be a couple screws to get inside. Run a
strip of door weatherstripping foam on the cover for an air seal.

Or cheat and install a small oiling line. I did that on one OLD motor.
It is installed in a VERY difficult spot. Used a section of oil pressure
gauge capillary line. Now I just add a couple of drops of turbine oil
every few months.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Lewis Hartswick wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
The furnace in my last house did. The motor had grease caps, and the
label told what grease to use.

What is a "grease cap"? The only thing that comes to
mind when "cap" is mentioned to me is the OILER caps,
those spring loaded thingys. If it's for grease it
usually has Zerks (but not all Zerks are for grease:-) )
...lew...

They were threaded brass caps, about 5/8" in diameter. You were
supposed to tighten them two full turns every six months to force fresh
grease into the bearings. When they bottomed out you removed them and
refilled them to start the cycle over. From the design and condition,
it had been through a flood in the early '60s. The entire area was
under water for about a week, and all basements were flooded.

Ah So! I think I've seen those but it must have been MANY YEARS
ago. Gosh I didn't know they even had air conditioners when
those were in use. :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lewis Hartswick wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Lewis Hartswick wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
[...]

This one didn't, but the casing had some large knockouts to add a
weird A/C conversion package. Considering when it was installed, it's
no wonder that it wasn't added.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Glad that worked out for you. I've also heard of two stroke
gas mixing oil being used.

Congrats, you're the only person I've seen, in ages, who
can spell "Lo and behold". Are you a Bible reader?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wayne" wrote in message

I had some 30w ND from McMaster. Lo and behold the label
said
for use in electric motors!

Wayne D.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

https://appliancezone.com/ShowProduc...kieSupp ort=1
Try this link, or
https://appliancezone.com/ShowProduct.aspx?ID=20501

Should show a typical zoom spout turbine oil.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wayne" wrote in message

Indeed. Standard operating procedure for Swamp Coolers and
their cages
and motors.

One buys a "Zoom Oiler" and gives it a few drops on a
regular occasion.

Gunner

I shall look into getting an oiler like that. There's only a
million
sheet metal screws to take out before getting to the motor.

Wayne D.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

True.

Detergent oil tends to absorb humidity from the air. After
many years.

Hint: Don't use WD-40 which dries up in days. Or 3-N-1
sewing machine oil which dries up in weeks.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

As long as it's non detergent.

And that's not even so critical. Just about any oil is
better than
any grease!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 20:02:25 -0600, Lewis Hartswick
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
The furnace in my last house did. The motor had grease caps, and the
label told what grease to use.

What is a "grease cap"? The only thing that comes to
mind when "cap" is mentioned to me is the OILER caps,
those spring loaded thingys. If it's for grease it
usually has Zerks (but not all Zerks are for grease:-) )
...lew...

I'm sure he meant grease CUP
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I once found a window air unit in the dumpster. The fan motor wouldn't
turn under its own power, which is presumably why they'd tossed it,
although I could turn it by hand. I just sprayed some WD-40 and turned
the motor by hand until it loosened up; it worked perfectly for the
next couple of years, at least until I sold the mobile home I had
slapped it into the window of.

But DON'T use WD-40 to clean/lube a model 13 teletype machine! =:-O

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
* *The furnace in my last house did. *The motor had grease caps, and the
label told what grease to use.

What is a "grease cap"? The only thing that comes to
mind when "cap" is mentioned to me is the OILER caps,
those spring loaded thingys. If it's for grease it
usually has Zerks (but not all Zerks are for grease:-) )
* *...lew...

I'm sure he meant grease CUP

Nope, "cap". See previous poster's reply about it. I've had several
fractional HP motors with grease caps, work fine as long as fresh
grease is supplied regularly. The oil in the soap carrier gets
squeezed out, leaving just the cruddy carrier, little or no
lubricating qualities there, so there has to be a steady resupply.
Only for ball bearings. I don't know if the caps predated zerks or
just was a convenience for maintenance for guys that wouldn't have a
grease gun to hand but did have a can of grease. These were old
motors, '20s-'30s vintage.

For the O.P., Ace has the Zoom Spout oilers, usually in the same area
as all the other lubricants and mouse milks, they move them over to
aisle with the swamp cooler pumps and parts in the summer around
here. They sell out fast come spring.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:27:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Oct 19, 12:45Â*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 20:02:25 -0600, Lewis Hartswick

wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Â* Â*The furnace in my last house did. Â*The motor had grease caps, and the
label told what grease to use.

What is a "grease cap"? The only thing that comes to
mind when "cap" is mentioned to me is the OILER caps,
those spring loaded thingys. If it's for grease it
usually has Zerks (but not all Zerks are for grease:-) )
Â* Â*...lew...

I'm sure he meant grease CUP

Nope, "cap". See previous poster's reply about it. I've had several
fractional HP motors with grease caps, work fine as long as fresh
grease is supplied regularly. The oil in the soap carrier gets
squeezed out, leaving just the cruddy carrier, little or no
lubricating qualities there, so there has to be a steady resupply.
Only for ball bearings. I don't know if the caps predated zerks or
just was a convenience for maintenance for guys that wouldn't have a
grease gun to hand but did have a can of grease. These were old
motors, '20s-'30s vintage.

For the O.P., Ace has the Zoom Spout oilers, usually in the same area
as all the other lubricants and mouse milks, they move them over to
aisle with the swamp cooler pumps and parts in the summer around
here. They sell out fast come spring.

Stan

In the machinery world those are grease cups.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
[...]

The label & instructions on the furnace called them 'Grease Caps',
though. I thought it was funny when I saw it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
[...]

Umm. Look at page 2147 in McMaster Carr and you'll find the correct
term is Grease Cup.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#grease-cups/=44t7ss

Nothing like what was on that motor. It was a threaded brass tube
with a long threaded cap tahat you packed with grease.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

Grease or oil? Michael Koblic Metalworking 10 August 1st 08 03:27 AM
Air grease gun [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 10th 06 03:37 PM
Lithium grase + silicone grease vs. axle grease RickyC UK diy 8 February 17th 05 07:59 PM
SDS bit grease Andrew Gabriel UK diy 7 July 30th 04 01:00 AM
Grease Boozo Electronics Repair 1 September 8th 03 03:16 PM