Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Wayne is offline

Default A.C. motor grease

AC guys like me use Zoom Spout Turbine Oil, which is
essentially ND-20. Also ND-30 will work. Now, you know why
grease isn't used for electric motors.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Wayne" wrote in message
I use a window air conditioner to keep my tools dry and
myself cool
during the summer months. When I took it out last year the
motor was
squeaking. So this spring I disassembled it, greased up the
motor,
and put it back together. The bearings were completely dry.
Not knowing what kind of grease to use, I put in wheel
bearing grease.
Toward the end of the year it started squeaking again. After
I shut
it off and later turned it on, the motor wouldn't run
anymore.
I was just going to pitch the whole thing, but decided on
doing a
post-mortem. The motor turned very stiffly. What grease was
in there
was very thick. After cleaning with WD-40, the motor spins
ok.
What would be a recommended grease for a motor like this
with sleeve bearings? Or is the motor just going to fail
again
since it already has gone squeekers?

Thanks,
Wayne D.

I had some 30w ND from McMaster. Lo and behold the label said
for use in electric motors!

Wayne D.