Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A.C. motor grease

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 18:25:23 -0500, Wayne Cook
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:27:13 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Oct 19, 12:45Â*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 20:02:25 -0600, Lewis Hartswick

wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Â* Â*The furnace in my last house did. Â*The motor had grease caps, and the
label told what grease to use.

What is a "grease cap"? The only thing that comes to
mind when "cap" is mentioned to me is the OILER caps,
those spring loaded thingys. If it's for grease it
usually has Zerks (but not all Zerks are for grease:-) )
Â* Â*...lew...

I'm sure he meant grease CUP

Nope, "cap". See previous poster's reply about it. I've had several
fractional HP motors with grease caps, work fine as long as fresh
grease is supplied regularly. The oil in the soap carrier gets
squeezed out, leaving just the cruddy carrier, little or no
lubricating qualities there, so there has to be a steady resupply.
Only for ball bearings. I don't know if the caps predated zerks or
just was a convenience for maintenance for guys that wouldn't have a
grease gun to hand but did have a can of grease. These were old
motors, '20s-'30s vintage.

Umm. Look at page 2147 in McMaster Carr and you'll find the correct
term is Grease Cup.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#grease-cups/=44t7ss

Was 45 years ago anyway.