Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A.C. motor grease

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 15:06:40 -0500, Wayne
wrote:

I use a window air conditioner to keep my tools dry and myself cool
during the summer months. When I took it out last year the motor was
squeaking. So this spring I disassembled it, greased up the motor,
and put it back together. The bearings were completely dry.
Not knowing what kind of grease to use, I put in wheel bearing grease.
Toward the end of the year it started squeaking again. After I shut
it off and later turned it on, the motor wouldn't run anymore.
I was just going to pitch the whole thing, but decided on doing a
post-mortem. The motor turned very stiffly. What grease was in there
was very thick. After cleaning with WD-40, the motor spins ok.
What would be a recommended grease for a motor like this
with sleeve bearings? Or is the motor just going to fail again
since it already has gone squeekers?

Thanks,
Wayne D.

Oil, not grease. A couple drops of synthetic motor oil would work just
fine - or even standard motor oil. For small motors I've got a little
needle dispenser of "DuraKote" lubricant that works very well.