Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default WARNING, WILL ROBINSON! ACTUAL METAL QUESTION!

When looking for Phillips #2 bits, I look for the ones that have the little
grooves on the tips. For some reason, I have found that they grip better,
last longer, and will work at a slight angle. But I have found them hard to
find. When I ask a salesman, they give me the same look one gets when you
ask a two year old how his last orgasm was.

Is there a special name or brand for these. I must have 100 bits in my
cabinets, and most suck because they are too pointed. These I am referring
to look like they have the tip ground off, look kind of rounded when looked
at from the side, and have grooves perpendicular to the main axis around the
flutes.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
When looking for Phillips #2 bits, I look for the ones that have the
little grooves on the tips. For some reason, I have found that they
grip better, last longer, and will work at a slight angle. But I
have found them hard to find. When I ask a salesman, they give me
the same look one gets when you ask a two year old how his last
orgasm was.

Is there a special name or brand for these. I must have 100 bits in
my cabinets, and most suck because they are too pointed. These I am
referring to look like they have the tip ground off, look kind of
rounded when looked at from the side, and have grooves perpendicular
to the main axis around the flutes.

Steve

Do you mean a Pozidrive?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozidriv

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" writes:

When looking for Phillips #2 bits, I look for the ones that have the little
grooves on the tips. For some reason, I have found that they grip better,
last longer, and will work at a slight angle.

Well, yeah. They've got little grooves on the tips, which dig into the
heads of the screws. This causes vastly increased friction, so the grip
better and will work at a slight angle. I'll guess they last longer
because we (see, they last longer for me, too!) spend less time spinning
them in the screw head.

But I have found them hard to
find. When I ask a salesman, they give me the same look one gets when you
ask a two year old how his last orgasm was.

It would probably not be a good idea to ask that question in front of
witnesses.

But the last time I went looking for a particular fastener (flat-head
Phillips head machine screws), the clerk pointed out some flat-head
Phillips sheet metal and assured me they'd work in wood, and then
pointed out some round-head Phillips machine screws, which he referred
to as oval-head. It turned out the screws I wanted (in stainless, which
was better than I'd hoped for) were in a drawer behind hime.

Is there a special name or brand for these. I must have 100 bits in my
cabinets, and most suck because they are too pointed. These I am referring
to look like they have the tip ground off, look kind of rounded when looked
at from the side, and have grooves perpendicular to the main axis around the
flutes.

Not that I know of. The one thing I've done more times than I want to
admit is to try to use a Posi-drive bit in a Phillips screw. I need my
reading glasses on to tell the difference, but they are absolutely not
compatible.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 18:36:30 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

When looking for Phillips #2 bits, I look for the ones that have the little
grooves on the tips. For some reason, I have found that they grip better,
last longer, and will work at a slight angle. But I have found them hard to
find. When I ask a salesman, they give me the same look one gets when you
ask a two year old how his last orgasm was.

Is there a special name or brand for these. I must have 100 bits in my
cabinets, and most suck because they are too pointed. These I am referring
to look like they have the tip ground off, look kind of rounded when looked
at from the side, and have grooves perpendicular to the main axis around the
flutes.

Steve

I've known them as anti-cam out bits.

anti-camout
anti-cam-out

??? one of the above.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

wrote:

When looking for Phillips #2 bits, I look for the ones that have the little
grooves on the tips. For some reason, I have found that they grip better,
last longer, and will work at a slight angle. But I have found them hard to
find. When I ask a salesman, they give me the same look one gets when you
ask a two year old how his last orgasm was.

Is there a special name or brand for these. I must have 100 bits in my
cabinets, and most suck because they are too pointed. These I am referring
to look like they have the tip ground off, look kind of rounded when looked
at from the side, and have grooves perpendicular to the main axis around the
flutes.

Steve

Lowes sells some brand or another of ACR bits; they work pretty well.
They're in the section with the boxes of decking screws.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 08:32:41 -0400, the infamous Randy
scrawled the following:

wrote:

When looking for Phillips #2 bits, I look for the ones that have the little
grooves on the tips. For some reason, I have found that they grip better,
last longer, and will work at a slight angle. But I have found them hard to
find. When I ask a salesman, they give me the same look one gets when you
ask a two year old how his last orgasm was.

Is there a special name or brand for these. I must have 100 bits in my
cabinets, and most suck because they are too pointed. These I am referring
to look like they have the tip ground off, look kind of rounded when looked
at from the side, and have grooves perpendicular to the main axis around the
flutes.

Steve

I've known them as anti-cam out bits.

anti-camout
anti-cam-out

??? one of the above.

I prefer "anti-camout" from your choices.

I much prefer the ACR type of bits, too. Anti-cam rib.
One source: http://www.wlfuller.com/html/phillips.html

--
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn
are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DanG wrote:
Stay with Apex brand by Cooper tools.

You are probably referring to their ACR bits.

http://www.coopertools.com/brands/fastening/index.cfm

open up the catalog for fastener tools

Nice stuff. _Industrial_ quality. Fastenal carries them. Here's a #2
ACR for only $1.22 EACH:
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...0213944&ucst=t

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
When looking for Phillips #2 bits, I look for the ones that have the
little grooves on the tips. ...

Is there a special name or brand for these. ...

From RoyJ's link, "ACR" is a the type of bit you want. Googl'ing "acr
phillips bits" returns 1,630,000 links.

HTH,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
DanG wrote:
Stay with Apex brand ...

Nice stuff. _Industrial_ quality. Fastenal carries them. Here's a #2
ACR for only $1.22 EACH:
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...0213944&ucst=t

Or McMaster-Carr (not Apex brand), only $.46 each:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#7164a67/=3p4vf8

(You can buy a set of 6 for $3.91, or order the six individually for
$2.76 - sets aren't always cheaper.)

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 08:06:26 -0400, the infamous Bob Engelhardt
scrawled the following:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
DanG wrote:
Stay with Apex brand ...

Nice stuff. _Industrial_ quality. Fastenal carries them. Here's a #2
ACR for only $1.22 EACH:
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...0213944&ucst=t

Or McMaster-Carr (not Apex brand), only $.46 each:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#7164a67/=3p4vf8

I need to stock up again. Locally-bought Chiwanese tips just don't
last.

(You can buy a set of 6 for $3.91, or order the six individually for
$2.76 - sets aren't always cheaper.)

Great tip!

--
The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of Saturn
are composed entirely of lost airline luggage.
--Mark Russell
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote:

When looking for Phillips #2 bits, I look for the ones that have the little
grooves on the tips. For some reason, I have found that they grip better,
last longer, and will work at a slight angle. But I have found them hard to
find. When I ask a salesman, they give me the same look one gets when you
ask a two year old how his last orgasm was.

I ordered a #1 phillips screwdriver the other day from mcmaster since my best #1 walked
off at work. Since I play with electricity quite often, I got the one where the shaft is
insulated.

The screwdriver I recieved was made by Wera and had those ribs. Had some sort of coating
that looked like TiN. Anyway, it fits screws pretty good and you can do the horizonal
thing where you stick it into a screw head and let go and the scredriver hangs in air.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 18:50:35 -0400, Wes
wrote:

snip
I ordered a #1 phillips screwdriver the other day from mcmaster since my best #1 walked
off at work. Since I play with electricity quite often, I got the one where the shaft is
insulated.

The screwdriver I recieved was made by Wera and had those ribs. Had some sort of coating
that looked like TiN. Anyway, it fits screws pretty good and you can do the horizonal
thing where you stick it into a screw head and let go and the scredriver hangs in air.

Wes

This is my favorite screwdriver for electric work:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/sk/sk03179a.html

"SK 5 Piece Magnetic Screwdriver Set: Screwdriver with bit
holder; #4, #6 Slotted Bits; #1, #2 Phillips Bits.

73517 SK 5 Piece Magnetic Screwdriver Set - 7 Inch $25.25"

The 7 inch long shank is the key feature. I have one of the
shorter 4 inch models too, but always grab the 7 inch if I
have a choice. If the steel shank bothers you wrap it up
with electric tap/heat shrink.

I'm sure there are other similar screwdriver nowadays. This
has been my favorite for over 30 years. Put what ever bit
you want in it.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

This is my favorite screwdriver for electric work:

http://www.mytoolstore.com/sk/sk03179a.html

"SK 5 Piece Magnetic Screwdriver Set: Screwdriver with bit
holder; #4, #6 Slotted Bits; #1, #2 Phillips Bits.

73517 SK 5 Piece Magnetic Screwdriver Set - 7 Inch $25.25"

The 7 inch long shank is the key feature. I have one of the
shorter 4 inch models too, but always grab the 7 inch if I
have a choice. If the steel shank bothers you wrap it up
with electric tap/heat shrink.

I'm sure there are other similar screwdriver nowadays. This
has been my favorite for over 30 years. Put what ever bit
you want in it.

I bought some similar to that at 'Dollar Tree' for a buck each, and
they have a telescoping magnet, as well.