Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Pfeiffer Joe Pfeiffer is offline

Default WARNING, WILL ROBINSON! ACTUAL METAL QUESTION!

"SteveB" writes:

When looking for Phillips #2 bits, I look for the ones that have the little
grooves on the tips. For some reason, I have found that they grip better,
last longer, and will work at a slight angle.

Well, yeah. They've got little grooves on the tips, which dig into the
heads of the screws. This causes vastly increased friction, so the grip
better and will work at a slight angle. I'll guess they last longer
because we (see, they last longer for me, too!) spend less time spinning
them in the screw head.

But I have found them hard to
find. When I ask a salesman, they give me the same look one gets when you
ask a two year old how his last orgasm was.

It would probably not be a good idea to ask that question in front of
witnesses.

But the last time I went looking for a particular fastener (flat-head
Phillips head machine screws), the clerk pointed out some flat-head
Phillips sheet metal and assured me they'd work in wood, and then
pointed out some round-head Phillips machine screws, which he referred
to as oval-head. It turned out the screws I wanted (in stainless, which
was better than I'd hoped for) were in a drawer behind hime.

Is there a special name or brand for these. I must have 100 bits in my
cabinets, and most suck because they are too pointed. These I am referring
to look like they have the tip ground off, look kind of rounded when looked
at from the side, and have grooves perpendicular to the main axis around the
flutes.

Not that I know of. The one thing I've done more times than I want to
admit is to try to use a Posi-drive bit in a Phillips screw. I need my
reading glasses on to tell the difference, but they are absolutely not
compatible.