Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Large scale gasoline savings and emissions reduction idea

When idling your car, you get zero mpg., waste money and resources,
and create pollution.

Do you turn your engine off when waiting for a train to pass? What
about a red light that you just missed and know from experience will
take several minutes to go green again? Would you do it more often if
you always knew exactly how long you were going to sit before getting
the green?

I've got an idea for getting you this information without adding any
infrastructure. It would only require some reprogramming. Most traffic
signals are computer controlled nowadays. Why couldn't the DOT make
the yellow light flash very briefly every five seconds during the red
phase whenever there was more than a minute left? Then it could flash
every two and a half seconds, until there were only ten seconds left,
at which point it would flash every second. The red would of course
remain continously red the entire time. Implementing this idea would
cost almost nothing (in transportation spending terms) and require no
changes in basic traffic laws or conventions, but could save
unimaginable amounts of fuel and hugely reduce emmissions and CO2.
Best of all, there would be no new rules or big brother. It would
force nothing on anyone!

When I learned to drive, they taught us that is was wasteful to idle
for more than three minutes. On modern cars it is more like ten or
fifteen seconds. Not everyone believes this, and many people refuse to
ever turn off their engine when they are in their car for any reason,
but there are plenty of people out there who are with the idea of
saving money, reducing emissions, or both. Enough anyway, that this
would have a significant impact from the outset. With a big public
awareness campaign (Which could be privately funded) participation
would grow quickly, the positive results would become documentable,
and many naysayers would jump on board too.

I'm sorry I can't provide documentation on gallons of gas or tons of
CO2 saved, but I'm convinced it would be well worth doing.
Documentation on this is thin, but the EPA claims ten seconds is the
break-even time. Please read: http://www.edf.org/documents/9236_Id...where_2009.pdf

Typical negative reactions:

Shutting down the engine in traffic is a bad idea. 1. Bad for the car.
2. Bad for traffic flow and safety. 3. Confusing to motorists.

1. The starter will fail sooner from overuse. A: Yes, true, but don’t
forget that with regular shutdowns the engine is running less, so
other components should last longer. Repair costs should be reduced
overall. Also: "Emissions at startup are much higher than at normal
idle." Yes, but a warm start has much less impact that 30 seconds
idling. Some people will not be convinced of this. Better to leave it
alone until good studies are produced.
2. If lots of people shut down at traffic lights, many will not be
able to restart in time, creating traffic jams and safety concerns. A:
It seems unlikely. First, emergency vehicles make their presence known
from a long way off – plenty of time to restart. Also, very few modern
cars are difficult to start, and the owners of those which are are
aware of the problem and would likely not shut down in the first
place. The program would be strictly voluntary. Just because you
suddenly have information about how long you are going to wait does
not force you kill the motor. Many drivers would instead use the info
to send a text, do a superb lipliner job which they would otherwise
have skimped on, or even use the extra time to masturbate. Everyone
wins!
3. Confusion. This would likely be the reaction from DOT officials.
But come on. Red = Stop, Green = Go. How simple is it? If you have the
intellectual capacity to go to the bathroom by yourself, you can
easily get this. Subtle changes in the function of the yellow light
would not disrupt traffic signal effectiveness for honest and
reasonable people. Those who would use it as an excuse to run a light
should get what they deserve – How ‘bout a Rodney King?

Anyway, many people won’t like the idea of not idling through traffic
lights, but I am only suggesting that we give some information to
motorists via the yellow light, which is currently underutilized. They
can make up their own minds how to use it. As I described, the
program would cost almost nothing and force nothing, but could save
huge amounts of fuel and reduce emissions. I would love to hear
reasonable arguments against it. I’ve heard none so far.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 8, 1:46*pm, robobass wrote:
[...]

Excuse me, but my Diesel vehicles require at least a 10 second glow
plug heat time when it's cold, and it really gets COLD sometimes.

You need to do a little more driving around the country and in Europe.
Leominster, MA, and possibly other cities blink the yellow light at 4-
way stops to allow pedestrians to cross ALL ways through the
intersection during which there is a steady red light on all 4
positions.

Also, very few traffic lights in this country are remote controllable.
Most, in fact are on timers.

A better idea is to do here like in Germany. Flash the yellow just
before the green, so drivers can begin to accelerate and will have a
green light as they cross the stop line. Much better traffic flow!

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:

Just sync up the lights to keep the traffic flow as smooth as possible.
And the next time some traffic engineers start making noises about
'traffic calming', march on city hall with torches and pitchforks.

Its time to update your riot gear to flame-throwers and bulldozers.
Torches and pitchforks are so last millennium!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"robobass" wrote in message
[...]

Reply:
Is what the Saturn hybrid does. Is I think Mode 1 hybrid.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'll go one step farther on this topic...

You want to save fuel?

Slow down!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 17:33:46 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

I'll go one step farther on this topic...

You want to save fuel?

Slow down!

People need to remember that the harder you step on either
pedal, the more it costs you...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Moi Moi is offline

People need to remember that the harder you step on either
pedal, the more it costs you...

Try to explain that to the nutjob that races around you to end up at the same
red light. Sooner.

The problem is that many obviously don't care how much gas they're using.
They just write a bigger check to VISA next month. They want to drive that
huge pickup or SUV as fast as they want and whatever it costs is... whatever
it costs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Moi wrote:
People need to remember that the harder you step on either
pedal, the more it costs you...

Try to explain that to the nutjob that races around you to end up at the same
red light. Sooner.

The problem is that many obviously don't care how much gas they're using.
They just write a bigger check to VISA next month. They want to drive that
huge pickup or SUV as fast as they want and whatever it costs is... whatever
it costs.

How about a national 45 mph speed limit.
Enforced via governor on the car!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 17:33:46 -0500, cavelamb wrote:

I'll go one step farther on this topic...

You want to save fuel?

Slow down!

Isn't that somewhat of a trade-off? I certainly wouldn't expect
to save gas by putting the car in first and just idling at 2MPH
or so to the store and back!

The point being, don't IC engines have a certain range of RPM
where they're most efficient? At what point does wind resistance
come into it?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:44:02 -0700, Moi wrote:

People need to remember that the harder you step on either pedal, the
more it costs you...

Try to explain that to the nutjob that races around you to end up at the
same red light. Sooner.

I get a kick out of that - I see the light turn red, I take my foot off
the gas and coast. The nutjob races around me and slams on his brakes at
the light; I gently coast up to the light, and always want to ask, "Are
you really happy you got to the red light before I did? ;-) " - note
smiley inside quotes. ;-)

It also saves on brake shoes/pads. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 15:20:30 -0500, cavelamb wrote:
Moi wrote:
People need to remember that the harder you step on either pedal, the
more it costs you...

Try to explain that to the nutjob that races around you to end up at the
same red light. Sooner.

The problem is that many obviously don't care how much gas they're
using. They just write a bigger check to VISA next month. They want to
drive that huge pickup or SUV as fast as they want and whatever it costs
is... whatever it costs.

How about a national 45 mph speed limit. Enforced via governor on the car!

Nah. Get rid of all speed limits (except maybe in residential areas, where
speed bumps would do a much better job of slowing down the idiots), and
get rid of driver's seat seat belts and driver's side air bags. Optimally,
redesign the cars:
http://mysite.verizon.net/richgrise/images/Safe-Car.gif

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 17:33:46 -0500, cavelamb wrote:

I'll go one step farther on this topic...

You want to save fuel?

Slow down!

Isn't that somewhat of a trade-off? I certainly wouldn't expect
to save gas by putting the car in first and just idling at 2MPH
or so to the store and back!

The point being, don't IC engines have a certain range of RPM
where they're most efficient?

Yes, but the bigger factor is the percent of available torque that's being
used at any given RPM. At low RPMs or high ones, when the throttle is mostly
closed your effective compression ratio goes 'way down, thermal efficiency
goes to pot, and your mileage takes a dive. The most efficient way to run a
conventional spark-ignition engine is at some moderate level of RPMs and
full throttle -- assuming you get good fuel atomization. (That's *engine*
efficiency, not total efficiency of the car, which falls off sharply with
speed above 50 mph or so.) Fuel injection has solved the low-RPM problem;
you get good atomization at all engine speeds.

BMW ran extensive tests a decade or so ago, with the pretty good
computer-controlled port-injection system they were then using, and found
that the best fuel efficiency in acceleration was accomplished at FULL
throttle, but by shifting at low RPMs. That was the opposite of the old
idea, but that had been with carburetors.

The new stratified-charge direct-injection systems are throwing all of the
values into a cocked hat. The latest ones hardly use a throttle at all;
Ford's new one "throttles" mostly by controlling the amount of fuel
injected -- more like a diesel than a conventional IC engine. Partial-load
fuel efficiency is up to unheard of levels in these new engines, which are
taking over in the new designs from most manufacturers.

At what point does wind resistance
come into it?

It's a square-ratio effect, but typically it becomes a major factor
somewhere between 50 and 60 mph. That best-tradeoff speed may drop with the
new engines -- it probably will, in fact, based on theory.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Moi" wrote in message
People need to remember that the harder you step on either
pedal, the more it costs you...

Try to explain that to the nutjob that races around you to end up at the
same
red light. Sooner.

The problem is that many obviously don't care how much gas they're using.
They just write a bigger check to VISA next month. They want to drive that
huge pickup or SUV as fast as they want and whatever it costs is...
whatever
it costs.

My diesel pickup gets better mileage at 60 than 45. Maybe it is in a better
torque / rpm zone.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:44:02 -0700, Moi wrote:

People need to remember that the harder you step on either
pedal, the more it costs you...

Try to explain that to the nutjob that races around you to end up at the same
red light. Sooner.

The problem is that many obviously don't care how much gas they're using.
They just write a bigger check to VISA next month. They want to drive that
huge pickup or SUV as fast as they want and whatever it costs is... whatever
it costs.

Blink blink....people actually buy gas with Visa?????

Cash..is king

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for
existence.
- It is NOT fiscally responsible.
- It is NOT ethically honorable.
- It has started wars based on lies.
- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.
- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.
- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.
- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.
- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

....It no longer has valid reasons to exist.
Lorad474

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:44:02 -0700, Moi wrote:

People need to remember that the harder you step on either
pedal, the more it costs you...

Try to explain that to the nutjob that races around you to end up at the
same
red light. Sooner.

The problem is that many obviously don't care how much gas they're using.
They just write a bigger check to VISA next month. They want to drive that
huge pickup or SUV as fast as they want and whatever it costs is...
whatever
it costs.

Blink blink....people actually buy gas with Visa?????

Cash..is king

Hell, I buy most stuff on the CC. Pay it off each month. The AMEX gives me
1-3% rebate, and the MC gives me miles. Those who make payments subsidize
me. Sweet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on
or about Fri, 11 Sep 2009 23:41:02 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:44:02 -0700, Moi wrote:
People need to remember that the harder you step on either
pedal, the more it costs you...

Try to explain that to the nutjob that races around you to end up at the same
red light. Sooner.

"Speed on Brother ... hell ain't half full."

The problem is that many obviously don't care how much gas they're using.
They just write a bigger check to VISA next month. They want to drive that
huge pickup or SUV as fast as they want and whatever it costs is... whatever
it costs.

Blink blink....people actually buy gas with Visa?????

Cash..is king

Costco doesn't take cash. So I buy a cash card, and use that. Or
either the charge or debit card.

OTOH, some people don't pay attention to what they are spending.
Money is an abstraction, and "credit" cards more so. People are able
to go through life and never see "cash" except at the ATM. Their pay
goes to the bank via direct deposit, they charge everything, pay their
bills on-line, and never see cash, and never link what they do, to
"money".

tschus
pyotr

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that "Calif Bill" on
or about Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:12:16 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:44:02 -0700, Moi wrote:

People need to remember that the harder you step on either
pedal, the more it costs you...

Try to explain that to the nutjob that races around you to end up at the
same
red light. Sooner.

The problem is that many obviously don't care how much gas they're using.
They just write a bigger check to VISA next month. They want to drive that
huge pickup or SUV as fast as they want and whatever it costs is...
whatever
it costs.

Blink blink....people actually buy gas with Visa?????

Cash..is king

Hell, I buy most stuff on the CC. Pay it off each month. The AMEX gives me
1-3% rebate, and the MC gives me miles. Those who make payments subsidize
me. Sweet.

But it really bites when you miss a payment...

pyotr

Yeah, I was paying the Visa bill with the Mastercard. But that was
twenty years ago. Nie Wieder
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
Let the Record show that "Calif Bill" on
or about Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:12:16 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I do not miss payments. They are automatically paid out of the checking
account. They email me a reminder, but I keep enough in the checking to pay
the bills a couple times over.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 14:35:17 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

The problem is that many obviously don't care how much gas they're using.
They just write a bigger check to VISA next month. They want to drive that
huge pickup or SUV as fast as they want and whatever it costs is... whatever
it costs.

Blink blink....people actually buy gas with Visa?????

Cash..is king

Costco doesn't take cash.

In what state do you live? In California, Costco takes cash..and even at
the gas pumps.

Gunner

The current Democratic party has lost its ideological basis for
existence.
- It is NOT fiscally responsible.
- It is NOT ethically honorable.
- It has started wars based on lies.
- It does not support the well-being of americans - only billionaires.
- It has suppresed constitutional guaranteed liberties.
- It has foisted a liar as president upon America.
- It has violated US national sovereignty in trade treaties.
- It has refused to enforce the national borders.

....It no longer has valid reasons to exist.
Lorad474

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 03:47:21 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

wrote:

The problem is that many obviously don't care how much gas they're using.
They just write a bigger check to VISA next month. They want to drive that
huge pickup or SUV as fast as they want and whatever it costs is... whatever
it costs.

Blink blink....people actually buy gas with Visa?????

Cash..is king

Costco doesn't take cash.

In what state do you live?

Pete lives here, with us, in the state of confusion.

In California, Costco takes cash..and even at
the gas pumps.

Here in OR, Costco takes cash, debit cards, and AMEX (the sole credit
card they're associated with.) Long ago, their gas stations used to
take all credit cards, but they stopped that for some reason.

--
Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite
at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

My part of California, Costco does not take cash at the pump. States it
right on the island.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on
or about Sun, 13 Sep 2009 03:47:21 -0700 did write/type or cause to
wrote:

The problem is that many obviously don't care how much gas they're using.
They just write a bigger check to VISA next month. They want to drive that
huge pickup or SUV as fast as they want and whatever it costs is... whatever
it costs.

Blink blink....people actually buy gas with Visa?????

Cash..is king

Costco doesn't take cash.

In what state do you live? In California, Costco takes cash..and even at
the gas pumps.

The Soviet of Washington. No cash, just cards - cash cards,
debit, or AmEx. No credit cards.

California is ... odd. Couple years ago I was down in the
Central valley, and stopped at a Costco for gas. Went inside for
cookies (mmmm - oatmeal raisin...) and spotted Jack Daniel's. The big
jug with a pint flask shrink wrapped. All for ~$20. Considering that
"at home" the gallon jug is upwards from $42 ... I should have bought
two.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Larry Jaques
on or about Sun, 13 Sep 2009 04:53:33 -0700 did write/type or cause to
wrote:
The problem is that many obviously don't care how much gas they're using.
They just write a bigger check to VISA next month. They want to drive that
huge pickup or SUV as fast as they want and whatever it costs is... whatever
it costs.

Blink blink....people actually buy gas with Visa?????

Cash..is king

Costco doesn't take cash.

In what state do you live?

Pete lives here, with us, in the state of confusion.

In California, Costco takes cash..and even at
the gas pumps.

Here in OR, Costco takes cash, debit cards, and AMEX (the sole credit
card they're associated with.) Long ago, their gas stations used to
take all credit cards, but they stopped that for some reason.

They stopped taking all credit cards a few years ago because they
didn't like the costs. I guess they worked out a deal with AmEx which
keeps the costs to them down.
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that "Calif Bill" on
or about Sat, 12 Sep 2009 21:01:12 -0700 did write/type or cause to
[...]

I was writing checks on the cards, paying the visa with master and
so on. Because I paid my bills on time, they kept bumping my credit
limit ... till I missed a round.

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:19:37 -0700, pyotr filipivich wrote:

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or

In what state do you live? In California, Costco takes cash..and even at
the gas pumps.

The Soviet of Washington. No cash, just cards - cash cards,
debit, or AmEx. No credit cards.

California is ... odd. Couple years ago I was down in the
Central valley, and stopped at a Costco for gas. Went inside for cookies
(mmmm - oatmeal raisin...) and spotted Jack Daniel's. The big jug with a
pint flask shrink wrapped. All for ~$20. Considering that "at home" the
gallon jug is upwards from $42 ... I should have bought two.

You should have bought a hundred, then sold them for $35 a pop at home. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Richard the Dreaded Libertarian
on or about Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:34:15 -0700
did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the
following:
On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 12:19:37 -0700, pyotr filipivich wrote:

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or

In what state do you live? In California, Costco takes cash..and even at
the gas pumps.

The Soviet of Washington. No cash, just cards - cash cards,
debit, or AmEx. No credit cards.

California is ... odd. Couple years ago I was down in the
Central valley, and stopped at a Costco for gas. Went inside for cookies
(mmmm - oatmeal raisin...) and spotted Jack Daniel's. The big jug with a
pint flask shrink wrapped. All for ~$20. Considering that "at home" the
gallon jug is upwards from $42 ... I should have bought two.

You should have bought a hundred, then sold them for $35 a pop at home. ;-)

I did do that when I was going to Oregon regular, which was just a
few bucks less than Washington. But I didn't believe it in California
when I saw it. Now ... "less see, it's 6oo miles one way to the Hooch
Hut in Yreka, at 10 cents mile for gas, how much to I have to buy to
show a profit?" And understand why cigarette smuggling is such a big
deal. Arbitrage - the art of the deal.
Since then I have heard of folks who do the snowbird thing, taking
requests and filling the RV in Nevada on the way back in the Spring.

-