Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tip of the Hat, Primecell

Hi all,

On recommendation from y'all, I sent several
of my worn-out power tool batteries to PrimeCell
for rebuilding.
http://www.primecell.com/

I had occasion to test one yesterday.
Mounted a wire wheel to my drill motor so I could
clean up the outside of some copper pipe.

Dayum. Lots of power and it just kept going and
going. I completed a 'three battery' job on just
one battery charge, and it still had plenty of power left.
With tax and shipping, each cost about $28 to rebuild.

I could not be happier!

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Hi all,
On recommendation from y'all, I sent several
of my worn-out power tool batteries to PrimeCell
for rebuilding.
http://www.primecell.com/

Might be worth it to go NiMh for my cordless drills.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Winston" wrote in message
Hi all,
On recommendation from y'all, I sent several
of my worn-out power tool batteries to PrimeCell
for rebuilding.
http://www.primecell.com/

Might be worth it to go NiMh for my cordless drills.

I'm interested what you decide and how the batteries
perform.

Please keep us posted.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
Hi all,

On recommendation from y'all, I sent several
of my worn-out power tool batteries to PrimeCell
for rebuilding.
http://www.primecell.com/

I had occasion to test one yesterday.
Mounted a wire wheel to my drill motor so I could
clean up the outside of some copper pipe.

Dayum. Lots of power and it just kept going and
going. I completed a 'three battery' job on just
one battery charge, and it still had plenty of power left.
With tax and shipping, each cost about $28 to rebuild.

I could not be happier!

I have contemplated that.
But then I can buy a new HF 19.2V with two batteries for $20.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:15:26 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Hi all,

On recommendation from y'all, I sent several
of my worn-out power tool batteries to PrimeCell
for rebuilding.
http://www.primecell.com/

I had occasion to test one yesterday.
Mounted a wire wheel to my drill motor so I could
clean up the outside of some copper pipe.

Dayum. Lots of power and it just kept going and
going. I completed a 'three battery' job on just
one battery charge, and it still had plenty of power left.
With tax and shipping, each cost about $28 to rebuild.

I could not be happier!

I hate you. Why couldn't you have done that a month or so ago before
I paid Interstate Batteries $40.95 to rebuild mine? (and it seems like
it has less torque than it did.)

--
I think that if, years down the road when I'm trying to have a kid, I
find out that I'm sterile, most of my disappointment will stem from the

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RBnDFW wrote:
Winston wrote:
Hi all,

On recommendation from y'all, I sent several
of my worn-out power tool batteries to PrimeCell
for rebuilding.
http://www.primecell.com/

I had occasion to test one yesterday.
Mounted a wire wheel to my drill motor so I could
clean up the outside of some copper pipe.

Dayum. Lots of power and it just kept going and
going. I completed a 'three battery' job on just
one battery charge, and it still had plenty of power left.
With tax and shipping, each cost about $28 to rebuild.

I could not be happier!

I have contemplated that.
But then I can buy a new HF 19.2V with two batteries for $20.

Yup. I have a collection of Makita drills and a
small saw that use these batteries. I just
couldn't bring myself to toss them.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:15:26 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

(Primecell rebuilds your tool batteries good and cheap.)

I could not be happier!

I hate you.

(Giggle)

Why couldn't you have done that a month or so ago before
I paid Interstate Batteries $40.95 to rebuild mine? (and it seems like
it has less torque than it did.)

The good news is that you can create a 'wanted'
listing in your local freecycle.com and collect
as many core batteries as you can store.
Filter them through Primecell as the budget
permits and Bob's your uncle.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:15:26 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Hi all,

On recommendation from y'all, I sent several
of my worn-out power tool batteries to PrimeCell
for rebuilding.
http://www.primecell.com/

I had occasion to test one yesterday.
Mounted a wire wheel to my drill motor so I could
clean up the outside of some copper pipe.

Dayum. Lots of power and it just kept going and
going. I completed a 'three battery' job on just
one battery charge, and it still had plenty of power left.
With tax and shipping, each cost about $28 to rebuild.

I could not be happier!

--Winston

Monday to Saturday, I sow wild oats. On Sunday I pray for a crop
failure.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Winston" wrote in message
Hi all,
On recommendation from y'all, I sent several
of my worn-out power tool batteries to PrimeCell
for rebuilding.
http://www.primecell.com/

Might be worth it to go NiMh for my cordless drills.

Do you need a new charger for NiMh then? As to rebuilds. Too expensive on
some. My Dewalt 18V battery pack is $117 including free shipping from
Amazon for a 2 pack. That is only $21 more than a rebuld for 2, with new
cases that have not been dropped numerous times. And no shipping costs for
me to ship them the cases.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Winston wrote:
Hi all,

On recommendation from y'all, I sent several
of my worn-out power tool batteries to PrimeCell
for rebuilding.
http://www.primecell.com/

I had occasion to test one yesterday.
Mounted a wire wheel to my drill motor so I could
clean up the outside of some copper pipe.

Dayum. Lots of power and it just kept going and
going. I completed a 'three battery' job on just
one battery charge, and it still had plenty of power left.
With tax and shipping, each cost about $28 to rebuild.

I could not be happier!

I have contemplated that.
But then I can buy a new HF 19.2V with two batteries for $20.

But the amphours on those HF suck most likely. I bought an 18V craftsman
drill a few years ago. I use it to raise and lower the jacks on the 1400#
truck camper. The Craftsman on a good day, might raise and lower the unit
with the use of both batteries. The Dewalt, will raise and lower and raise
again with 1 battery.
at least before the batteries started dying.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerald Miller wrote:

(...)

Monday to Saturday, I sow wild oats. On Sunday I pray for a crop
failure.
Gerry :-)}

Don't mess up your back, Gerry.
You only get one!

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Hi all,
On recommendation from y'all, I sent several
of my worn-out power tool batteries to PrimeCell
for rebuilding.
http://www.primecell.com/

Might be worth it to go NiMh for my cordless drills.

Do you need a new charger for NiMh then? As to rebuilds. Too expensive on
some. My Dewalt 18V battery pack is $117 including free shipping from
Amazon for a 2 pack. That is only $21 more than a rebuld for 2, with new
cases that have not been dropped numerous times. And no shipping costs for
me to ship them the cases.

One can often catch the entire drill, with two brand new batteries, on
sale for the price of a 2 battery rebuild.

Gunner

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 17:21:31 -0700, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Winston wrote:
[...]

Got a crapsman 9.6V for Christmas '91 and was happy with it till the
battery died about four years ago when I was given a12V one with two
batteries. Worst POS I've ever seen - the batteries wouldn't hold
charge more for more than three days. I rebuilt the 9.6 with cells
from a Princess Auto "clearance" pack. I currently use a 12V Ryobi
with a battery rebuilt from the same source. As soon as I find that
"tuit" I will rebuild the other two packs and have two drills.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
Hi all,
On recommendation from y'all, I sent several
of my worn-out power tool batteries to PrimeCell
for rebuilding.
http://www.primecell.com/

Might be worth it to go NiMh for my cordless drills.

Do you need a new charger for NiMh then?

Nup. PrimeCell includes circuitry to match the stock charger
to the replacement pack.

http://www.primecell.com/nimhconv.htm

As to rebuilds. Too expensive on
some. My Dewalt 18V battery pack is $117 including free shipping from
Amazon for a 2 pack. That is only $21 more than a rebuld for 2, with new
cases that have not been dropped numerous times.

That's pretty good. Have you compared the two, normalizing for
capacity? PrimeCell claims to use higher capacity cells than
stock. If the PrimeCell rebuild gives you 10% longer run time,
that may tip the equation more in their favor. For some
combinations (NiCd to NiMh conversion) they claim up to 50%
longer run time. That's pretty remarkable.
http://www.primecell.com/rebuild.htm

And no shipping costs for me to ship them the cases.

Cost me U$13 to send them 5 packs, 2324 miles away.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message
[...]

If the fit in a post office one price box does not cost that much to ship.
The DeWalts are 2.4 amp hours. So close to the PrimeCell. I had a couple
of 9.6 and 14.4 rebuild a couple years ago by another vendor. Did not seem
to be any better than the originals, and the 9.6 pack is a welded case, and
it fell apart.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Calif Bill wrote:

(...)

If the fit in a post office one price box does not cost that much to ship.

Good point, I could have saved ~50% on shipping.

The DeWalts are 2.4 amp hours. So close to the PrimeCell. I had a couple
of 9.6 and 14.4 rebuild a couple years ago by another vendor. Did not seem
to be any better than the originals, and the 9.6 pack is a welded case, and
it fell apart.

I dunno how they do it, but the Primecell rebuilds
look really solid.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 13:22:37 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Winston" wrote in message
Hi all,
On recommendation from y'all, I sent several
of my worn-out power tool batteries to PrimeCell
for rebuilding.
http://www.primecell.com/

Might be worth it to go NiMh for my cordless drills.

I'm interested what you decide and how the batteries
perform.

Please keep us posted.

I would have but the investment for a new charger to go with it was
the killer. Hell, I only paid $100 for the Ryobi kit (drill motor,
5-1/4" circular saw motor, 2 batts, charger, and a case.)

--
A striking fact of the last two years of financial trouble is how
accountability has differed in the public and private spheres. On
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 16:24:07 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:15:26 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

(Primecell rebuilds your tool batteries good and cheap.)

I could not be happier!

I hate you.

(Giggle)

Why couldn't you have done that a month or so ago before
I paid Interstate Batteries $40.95 to rebuild mine? (and it seems like
it has less torque than it did.)

The good news is that you can create a 'wanted'
listing in your local freecycle.com and collect
as many core batteries as you can store.
Filter them through Primecell as the budget
permits and Bob's your uncle.

Do you need to ship the whole (read: heavy) battery to them, or could
you just ship the case and one cell?

--
A striking fact of the last two years of financial trouble is how
accountability has differed in the public and private spheres. On
Wall Street and across the country, decades-old firms have failed,
fortunes have vanished, and some former captains of finance face
jail or fines. In Washington, meanwhile, most regulators and Members
of Congress remain on the job, often with enhanced power.
-WSJ "Bernanke's Second Chance" 26aug09
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 17:21:31 -0700, the infamous "Calif Bill"
scrawled the following:

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Winston wrote:
Hi all,

On recommendation from y'all, I sent several
of my worn-out power tool batteries to PrimeCell
for rebuilding.
http://www.primecell.com/

I had occasion to test one yesterday.
Mounted a wire wheel to my drill motor so I could
clean up the outside of some copper pipe.

Dayum. Lots of power and it just kept going and
going. I completed a 'three battery' job on just
one battery charge, and it still had plenty of power left.
With tax and shipping, each cost about $28 to rebuild.

I could not be happier!

I have contemplated that.
But then I can buy a new HF 19.2V with two batteries for $20.

But the amphours on those HF suck most likely. I bought an 18V craftsman
drill a few years ago.

Whatever FOR? (LJ, who learned his painful and bloody lesson on
Crapsman in the late 70s and hasn't been back since, except to replace
broken tools, when he can get them to honor the warranty.)

I use it to raise and lower the jacks on the 1400#
truck camper. The Craftsman on a good day, might raise and lower the unit
with the use of both batteries. The Dewalt, will raise and lower and raise
again with 1 battery.
at least before the batteries started dying.

I bought a 14.4v replacement battery last year and it already goes
dead overnight. I hope the Interstate rebuild lasts a bit longer
since they used new cells, not really old stock.

--
A striking fact of the last two years of financial trouble is how
accountability has differed in the public and private spheres. On
Wall Street and across the country, decades-old firms have failed,
fortunes have vanished, and some former captains of finance face
jail or fines. In Washington, meanwhile, most regulators and Members
of Congress remain on the job, often with enhanced power.
-WSJ "Bernanke's Second Chance" 26aug09
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Winston" wrote in message

That's pretty good. Have you compared the two, normalizing for
capacity? PrimeCell claims to use higher capacity cells than
stock. If the PrimeCell rebuild gives you 10% longer run time,
that may tip the equation more in their favor. For some
combinations (NiCd to NiMh conversion) they claim up to 50%
longer run time. That's pretty remarkable.

That's the part that got my attention. Time is money.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Winston" wrote in message
Hi all,
On recommendation from y'all, I sent several
of my worn-out power tool batteries to PrimeCell
for rebuilding.
http://www.primecell.com/
Might be worth it to go NiMh for my cordless drills.

I'm interested what you decide and how the batteries
perform.

Please keep us posted.

I would have but the investment for a new charger to go with it was
the killer. Hell, I only paid $100 for the Ryobi kit (drill motor,
5-1/4" circular saw motor, 2 batts, charger, and a case.)

Calif. Bill Do you need a new charger for NiMh then?

Nup. PrimeCell includes circuitry to match the stock charger
to the replacement pack.

http://www.primecell.com/nimhconv.htm

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

Do you need to ship the whole (read: heavy) battery to them, or could
you just ship the case and one cell?

I shipped them the batteries unmolested.
Cost me U$13 to send them 5 packs, 2324 miles away.

That's not too bad. As Calif Bill mentioned, I could
have saved 3 bucks off that by using a USPS 'flat rate'
box.

I found that disassembling these particular battery packs
to be an exercise in futility. They come apart in a way
that precludes reassembly. DAMHIKT

--Winston --Comes apart in a way that precludes reassembly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Winston wrote:
[...]

Because it was cheap on the clearance shelf and figured an 18v would work
better than my 14.4 Dewalt for the jacks. Nope.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:18:33 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Winston" wrote in message
Hi all,
On recommendation from y'all, I sent several
of my worn-out power tool batteries to PrimeCell
for rebuilding.
http://www.primecell.com/
Might be worth it to go NiMh for my cordless drills.
I'm interested what you decide and how the batteries
perform.

Please keep us posted.

I would have but the investment for a new charger to go with it was
the killer. Hell, I only paid $100 for the Ryobi kit (drill motor,
5-1/4" circular saw motor, 2 batts, charger, and a case.)

Calif. Bill Do you need a new charger for NiMh then?

Nup. PrimeCell includes circuitry to match the stock charger
to the replacement pack.

http://www.primecell.com/nimhconv.htm

Nice, but ouch. $56 for a 14.4 conversion, plus shipping to them,
plus $9 to ship it back. For 2, it would cost more than the entire
original kit cost.

I'll be buying a whole new Impactor when these batteries give up the
ghost. That Bosch set cost $213 for the 14.4v motor, 2 batts, charger,
and a hard case. It's some of the best money I've spent in a long
time. Of course, the backup is an 18v HF junker. I drill with it when
my Ryobi is dead. It cost $29 with drill motor, lamp head, batt,
charger, cheaparse hard/soft case, and an extra batt thrown in.

--
A striking fact of the last two years of financial trouble is how
accountability has differed in the public and private spheres. On
Wall Street and across the country, decades-old firms have failed,
fortunes have vanished, and some former captains of finance face
jail or fines. In Washington, meanwhile, most regulators and Members
of Congress remain on the job, often with enhanced power.
-WSJ "Bernanke's Second Chance" 26aug09
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:35:21 -0700, the infamous "Calif Bill"
scrawled the following:

.. .

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Winston wrote:
[...]

My fave old saying is "If it has tits, tires, or a Crapsman logo,
you're gonna have trouble with it."

--
A striking fact of the last two years of financial trouble is how
accountability has differed in the public and private spheres. On
Wall Street and across the country, decades-old firms have failed,
fortunes have vanished, and some former captains of finance face
jail or fines. In Washington, meanwhile, most regulators and Members
of Congress remain on the job, often with enhanced power.
-WSJ "Bernanke's Second Chance" 26aug09

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 15:04:07 -0600, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

In , on Wed, 26 Aug 2009
06:10:42 -0700, Larry Jaques, novalidaddress@di wrote:

I would have but the investment for a new charger to go with it was
the killer. Hell, I only paid $100 for the Ryobi kit (drill motor,
5-1/4" circular saw motor, 2 batts, charger, and a case.)

I went in to HD a couple months ago for the one and
only purpose of buying two new Ryobi 18v batteries.
The package you cite above (but replace case with tool
bag) was on sale that day for $89. So, $59 for two
batteries, or an extra $30 for a drill motor, saw, and
charger? Do you even have to ask? Not like I *needed*
an extra drill but the chuck jaws on the old one are a
bit uneven, so another one wasn't *exactly* redundant.
;-)

Cool. I just wish the batteries lasted better in the little saws.
they are handy for paneling, but two cuts kills 'em. (14.4v, are the
18v any better?)

--
A striking fact of the last two years of financial trouble is how
accountability has differed in the public and private spheres. On
Wall Street and across the country, decades-old firms have failed,
fortunes have vanished, and some former captains of finance face
jail or fines. In Washington, meanwhile, most regulators and Members
of Congress remain on the job, often with enhanced power.
-WSJ "Bernanke's Second Chance" 26aug09
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:17:08 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

The DeWalt 18V XLR (2.4 AH) tools are beefy enough to do real work
with. I've been beating on an original 18V 4-pack for 10-plus years,
no failures. (Well, the batteries flake out after a few hundred
cycles, but that is normal.) The drill has a crack in the casing that
might be a problem eventually.

The drill's motor has been replaced once because the brush holders
flat-out melted - then again, they make no claims on swinging anything
near as big as a 1" Ship Augur bit or a 1-1/2" Selfeed wood bit - but
it does it without complaint.

(Gets rather warm if you do more than one at a time, though...)

And most important, DeWalt has a wide selection of tools that all
take the same batteries. You don't need to bring a dozen different
batteries and a half-dozen different chargers to do one job.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 17:08:01 -0600, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

In , on Thu, 27 Aug 2009
18:17:08 -0700, Larry Jaques, novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 15:04:07 -0600, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

I went in to HD a couple months ago for the one and
only purpose of buying two new Ryobi 18v batteries.
The package you cite above (but replace case with tool
bag) was on sale that day for $89. So, $59 for two
batteries, or an extra $30 for a drill motor, saw, and
charger? Do you even have to ask? Not like I *needed*
an extra drill but the chuck jaws on the old one are a
bit uneven, so another one wasn't *exactly* redundant.
;-)

Cool. I just wish the batteries lasted better in the little saws.
they are handy for paneling, but two cuts kills 'em. (14.4v, are the
18v any better?)

Dunno. I went from DeWalt 12v to Ryobi 18v drills.
Actually, I haven't had occasion to use the battery
powered saw yet, so no idea how well it works. This
apartment living cuts way down on DIY stuff.

Mine cut through the laminate for my sink just peachy. Cutting the
3/4" ply was a bear, though. I needed two batteries just to cut two
2'x3' pieces and another 5/8" strip for the oven side tops.

They won't allow you to curve a cut at all, and will bind in the blink
of an eye. Perhaps the new lithium celled beasties will be better.

--
A striking fact of the last two years of financial trouble is how
accountability has differed in the public and private spheres. On
Wall Street and across the country, decades-old firms have failed,
fortunes have vanished, and some former captains of finance face
jail or fines. In Washington, meanwhile, most regulators and Members
of Congress remain on the job, often with enhanced power.
-WSJ "Bernanke's Second Chance" 26aug09
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 18:37:57 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

ANY of the battery operated circular saws will bind on you if you
try to strong-arm them, but they cut well if you have a sharp blade on
and let the blade keep up speed.

(Hey, it's a lot better than a nasty kickback!)

And it's the wrong tool for the corners anyway. Use a circular to
make the long cuts, then switch to a battery reciprocating or jigsaw
for the corner radii or finish a square cutout.

Or use a hole saw on the corners to make your radius cuts first,
then the circular to pop it out.

-- Bruce --