Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Tip of the Hat, Primecell

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:18:33 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 13:22:37 -0700, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Winston" wrote in message
Hi all,
On recommendation from y'all, I sent several
of my worn-out power tool batteries to PrimeCell
for rebuilding.
http://www.primecell.com/
Might be worth it to go NiMh for my cordless drills.
I'm interested what you decide and how the batteries
perform.

Please keep us posted.

I would have but the investment for a new charger to go with it was
the killer. Hell, I only paid $100 for the Ryobi kit (drill motor,
5-1/4" circular saw motor, 2 batts, charger, and a case.)

Calif. Bill Do you need a new charger for NiMh then?

Nup. PrimeCell includes circuitry to match the stock charger
to the replacement pack.

http://www.primecell.com/nimhconv.htm

Nice, but ouch. $56 for a 14.4 conversion, plus shipping to them,
plus $9 to ship it back. For 2, it would cost more than the entire
original kit cost.

I'll be buying a whole new Impactor when these batteries give up the
ghost. That Bosch set cost $213 for the 14.4v motor, 2 batts, charger,
and a hard case. It's some of the best money I've spent in a long
time. Of course, the backup is an 18v HF junker. I drill with it when
my Ryobi is dead. It cost $29 with drill motor, lamp head, batt,
charger, cheaparse hard/soft case, and an extra batt thrown in.

--
A striking fact of the last two years of financial trouble is how
accountability has differed in the public and private spheres. On