Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Mach 3 Crashing PC

I have not fired up my mini mill for a couple weeks, but I need to engrave
some replacement number chips for a club I help run. Anyway, turned ont he
PC and started my controller the other day, and I have been dinking with it
off and on for about a week now.

Nothign seems to be wrong with the PC. All other software works. AVAST
says it has a clean bill of health. Memory tests are ok, but when I start
Mach 3 the PC reboots. Not always instantly, but everytime.

Following diagnostics were done.

Memory test
Re-install Mach 3
Install latest version of Mach 3
Unplug controller from LPT port
Start Mach 3 with different setup file.

Still crashes. I can run multiple other aps... no crash.

HELP!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

I have not fired up my mini mill for a couple weeks, but I need to engrave
some replacement number chips for a club I help run. Anyway, turned ont he
PC and started my controller the other day, and I have been dinking with it
off and on for about a week now.

Nothign seems to be wrong with the PC. All other software works. AVAST
says it has a clean bill of health. Memory tests are ok, but when I start
Mach 3 the PC reboots. Not always instantly, but everytime.

Following diagnostics were done.

Memory test
Re-install Mach 3
Install latest version of Mach 3
Unplug controller from LPT port
Start Mach 3 with different setup file.

Still crashes. I can run multiple other aps... no crash.

HELP!!!

I'd suggest posting on the Machsupport forum where you will likely get
faster response.

It sounds like the Mach pulser driver is hosed, have you ensured that
got reinstalled? Also have you checked at BIOS level to see if the
config for the LPT port(s) didn't magically get "plug and played" and
change addresses?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

I did.

It sounds like the Mach pulser driver is hosed, have you ensured that
got reinstalled?

??? parrallel port driver?

It had begun crashing before the upgrade anyway. Hence why I re-installed
and then upgraded.

Also have you checked at BIOS level to see if the
config for the LPT port(s) didn't magically get "plug and played" and
change addresses?

That I will check. Not sure how that would cause the software to crash the
PC and reboot, but I'll check it just to be safe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bite Me" wrote in message
"Steve W." wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Is it networked? Any chance it upgraded itself to SP3? SP3 has been known to
cause problems with certain computers, mainly AMD based I believe; that
said, I would have thought MS would have patched the SP3 update by now.
Martin
--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What OS?

XP Pro SP2

I run a different PC based control, but I found XP service pack 1 much more
stable. In addition no screen savers, hibernators, no virus software, no
updates, no internet connection.

It is truly amazing, the setup boot in mere seconds and shuts down even
faster.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:39:12 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I have not fired up my mini mill for a couple weeks, but I need to engrave
some replacement number chips for a club I help run. Anyway, turned ont he
PC and started my controller the other day, and I have been dinking with it
off and on for about a week now.

Nothign seems to be wrong with the PC. All other software works. AVAST
says it has a clean bill of health. Memory tests are ok, but when I start
Mach 3 the PC reboots. Not always instantly, but everytime.

Following diagnostics were done.

Memory test
Re-install Mach 3
Install latest version of Mach 3
Unplug controller from LPT port
Start Mach 3 with different setup file.

Still crashes. I can run multiple other aps... no crash.

HELP!!!

Did you uninstall Mach 3 first?

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bite Me wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

The Mach pulser driver is low level and I seem to recall had some extra
procedure to remove and reinstall.

It had begun crashing before the upgrade anyway. Hence why I re-installed
and then upgraded.

Also have you checked at BIOS level to see if the
config for the LPT port(s) didn't magically get "plug and played" and
change addresses?

That I will check. Not sure how that would cause the software to crash the
PC and reboot, but I'll check it just to be safe.

I had that exact problem with a couple parallel ports that kept changing
addresses (extra dual port card), and it would crash the Mach pulser
driver when it tried to access stuff that the former address. I finally
got the card addresses locked down and it's worked fine since then.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bite Me wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

Off hand do you recall which IRQ and memory address did you use?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bite Me wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bite Me wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

LPT1 (built in) is at the normal 0x0378
LPT2 is at 0xDD00
LPT3 is at 0xDF00

All three are set to "never use an interrupt".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Off hand do you recall which IRQ and memory address did you use?

LPT1 (built in) is at the normal 0x0378
LPT2 is at 0xDD00
LPT3 is at 0xDF00

All three are set to "never use an interrupt".

I use another PC control I'm really surprised you don't use an interrupt
with Mach. My control has an IO card that fires an interrupt if an input
changes state. The computer then polls for which input changed. How does
Mach trigger an event on an input change?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Off hand do you recall which IRQ and memory address did you use?

LPT1 (built in) is at the normal 0x0378
LPT2 is at 0xDD00
LPT3 is at 0xDF00

All three are set to "never use an interrupt".

I use another PC control I'm really surprised you don't use an interrupt
with Mach. My control has an IO card that fires an interrupt if an input
changes state. The computer then polls for which input changed. How does
Mach trigger an event on an input change?

Karl

There aren't that many inputs and Mach has no problem polling them at an
acceptable pace. A multi GHz CPU doesn't spend much time reading and
comparing a few port addresses. I don't know the exact details, but I
expect the Mach pulsing driver probably collects the input status data
on each output update cycle which could readily be 120KHz. Hardware
interrupts are largely a barnacle from the days of 1MHz CPUs.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I have not fired up my mini mill for a couple weeks, but I need to engrave
some replacement number chips for a club I help run. Anyway, turned ont
he PC and started my controller the other day, and I have been dinking
with it off and on for about a week now.

Nothign seems to be wrong with the PC. All other software works. AVAST
says it has a clean bill of health. Memory tests are ok, but when I start
Mach 3 the PC reboots. Not always instantly, but everytime.

Following diagnostics were done.

Memory test
Re-install Mach 3
Install latest version of Mach 3
Unplug controller from LPT port
Start Mach 3 with different setup file.

Still crashes. I can run multiple other aps... no crash.

HELP!!!

I just do not get it unless my parallel port is just plain damaged and
causing the problem with the driver.

I nuked the machine and started from scratch.
Memory tested,
New hard drive, (found nothing wrong with the old one but just in case)
Fresh installation of Windows,
Clean fresh installation of Mach 3

Everything seems to work just fine and then when I start Mach 3 the system
reboots. GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

That really sounds like something messed up in the BIOS settings, since
that's the only thing that may not be refreshed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

I could not find anything in the bios. Tried reset to defaults (the way it
was working before). Tried ECP, tried bi-directional, tried output only,
even tried turning the parallel port off. Under any circumstance the darn
machine would reboot after I started Mach 3. The desktop I use for my
accounting is the same identical machine, and it runs Mach 3 just fine. The
other machine ran it for nearly a year then kaput.

I gave up and, I am setting up another machine clean and fresh right now. A
little newer machine with brand new (and more) memory and drive.

I have a buddy who gives PCs to chidren of disadvantaged families around
Christmas time every year. I'll just give him the machine. It seems to run
all other aps just fine. I run both Ubuntu Linux and Windows XP
applications, and I loaded every application on the machine and it didn't
crash either in Linux mode or Windows mode. Just with the Mach 3 under
Windows. Grrrrrr......

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:12:35 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

Munge the printer port settings and use an external card.

**** happens at times with hardware incompatability.

Or go to the Goodwill and pick up another $25 computer

Gunner

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith
becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact
equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man
because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the
person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...
There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag,
the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the
English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people.'
Theodore Ro osevelt 1907
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
I have not fired up my mini mill for a couple weeks, but I need to engrave
some replacement number chips for a club I help run. Anyway, turned ont he
PC and started my controller the other day, and I have been dinking with it
off and on for about a week now.

Nothign seems to be wrong with the PC. All other software works. AVAST
says it has a clean bill of health. Memory tests are ok, but when I start
Mach 3 the PC reboots. Not always instantly, but everytime.

Following diagnostics were done.

Memory test
Re-install Mach 3
Install latest version of Mach 3
Unplug controller from LPT port
Start Mach 3 with different setup file.

Still crashes. I can run multiple other aps... no crash.

HELP!!!

Does it come up with a crash dump, ie BSOD, or does it just reboot which
would be unusual. In cases like this you need to provide as much
descriptive evidence as possible to allow others to get a toe hold on
what might be the problem if it isn't already obvious to others.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-22, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

[ ... ]

[...]

Did you bother testing whether the parallel port worked with a
printer? I did not hear any such tests, and since this is an
application which depends upon the printer port, it makes sense to first
test it with a printer to see if that hardware is working.

Hmm ... for that matter -- is it already configured to serve a
printer? You might have to go in and unload the printer driver before
you can get it to work with the Mach-3 drivers.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Monitor the voltage to the PC when the Mach 3 starts. Maybe there is a
short in the Mach 3 pulling down the voltage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Calif Bill wrote:

[...]

Note in the original post he indicated testing with the drives
disconnected from the parallel port. Mach3 is software, and with the
external drives disconnected from the parallel port, all that is
involved is the software and the actual PC parallel port hardware.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I have not fired up my mini mill for a couple weeks, but I need to engrave
some replacement number chips for a club I help run. Anyway, turned ont he
PC and started my controller the other day, and I have been dinking with it
off and on for about a week now.

Nothign seems to be wrong with the PC. All other software works. AVAST
says it has a clean bill of health. Memory tests are ok, but when I start
Mach 3 the PC reboots. Not always instantly, but everytime.

Following diagnostics were done.

Memory test
Re-install Mach 3
Install latest version of Mach 3
Unplug controller from LPT port
Start Mach 3 with different setup file.

Still crashes. I can run multiple other aps... no crash.

HELP!!!

Well, diagnostics software shows the LPT port on the original PC works fine.
Looked like maybe it was just maxing out the PC processor so I went to work
shutting stuff down. There wasn't anything unexpected listed in the
process, but I shut down everything except the critical services, and
unistalled every piece of software not critical to the operation of Mach 3.

I went into my machine profile and set it for the lowest (25000) refresh
rate, and I was able to just barely load and run some small G-code files
before it would reboot, but I also started noticing some glitches in the
file loads. Since its a tested drive and the memory was tested I can only
assume that the processor is having some problems.

I pulled my accounting machine out of the office, (exact same computer) and
I just hooked it to the controller without doing anything, or disabling
anything. Worked like a charm. Bios setup is identical. OS is the same
release, drives and memory are the same. I can only assume that the darn
processor has decided to establish itself in a mammaries elevated
disposition on the original machine.

I guess I just need to find myself another controller computer for this CNC
setup, and install my license files and machine profile.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-24, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I have not fired up my mini mill for a couple weeks, but I need to engrave
some replacement number chips for a club I help run. Anyway, turned ont he
PC and started my controller the other day, and I have been dinking with it
off and on for about a week now.

Nothign seems to be wrong with the PC. All other software works. AVAST
says it has a clean bill of health. Memory tests are ok, but when I start
Mach 3 the PC reboots. Not always instantly, but everytime.

[ ... ]

Well, diagnostics software shows the LPT port on the original PC works fine.

Hmm ... with a printer connected, or without?

Looked like maybe it was just maxing out the PC processor so I went to work
shutting stuff down. There wasn't anything unexpected listed in the
process, but I shut down everything except the critical services, and
unistalled every piece of software not critical to the operation of Mach 3.

A reasonable approach, though if it worked before, it does not
seem to be likely to be the problem.

I went into my machine profile and set it for the lowest (25000) refresh
rate, and I was able to just barely load and run some small G-code files
before it would reboot, but I also started noticing some glitches in the
file loads. Since its a tested drive and the memory was tested I can only
assume that the processor is having some problems.

Hmm ... this sort of sounds like what can happen when the power
supply connectors are putting out some glitches. Unplug the power
connectors, spritz with a good contact cleaner, and cycle the connectors
on and off a few times before a final spritzing and re-connection.

I pulled my accounting machine out of the office, (exact same computer) and
I just hooked it to the controller without doing anything, or disabling
anything. Worked like a charm. Bios setup is identical. OS is the same
release, drives and memory are the same. I can only assume that the darn
processor has decided to establish itself in a mammaries elevated
disposition on the original machine.

Not necessarily the processor. Check for poor contact with the
power supply connections -- and perhaps for a bad filter capacitor in
the power supply or on the system board. Look for ones with bulged ends
instead of flat -- especially the ones with three radial weakening
lines. At one period, there were a lot of these failing, thanks to a
pirated copy of the electrolyte formula having some errors in it.
Perhaps a 1 year service life on those caps -- if you were lucky. For a
machine which spends most of its time off, they might last a lot longer.

I guess I just need to find myself another controller computer for this CNC
setup, and install my license files and machine profile.

Granted, filter capacitors are a pain to change and it may well
be easier to simply get a newer (but used) machine.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default FOUND THE PROBLRM: Mach 3 Crashing PC

"dan" wrote in message
What's that Lassie? You say that Bob La Londe fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Thu, 23 Jul 2009 17:59:11 -0700:

I pulled my accounting machine out of the office, (exact same computer)
and
I just hooked it to the controller without doing anything, or disabling
anything. Worked like a charm. Bios setup is identical. OS is the same
release, drives and memory are the same. I can only assume that the darn
processor has decided to establish itself in a mammaries elevated
disposition on the original machine.

Check that all the fans are working. Could be overheating something.

Two blown power caps on the main board next to the CPU.

--

Dan H.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

(...)

Two blown power caps on the main board next to the CPU.

Thanks for reporting the cause, Bob.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 22:54:01 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:
"dan" wrote in message
What's that Lassie? You say that Bob La Londe fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Thu, 23 Jul 2009 17:59:11 -0700:

I pulled my accounting machine out of the office, (exact same computer)
and
I just hooked it to the controller without doing anything, or disabling
anything. Worked like a charm. Bios setup is identical. OS is the same
release, drives and memory are the same. I can only assume that the darn
processor has decided to establish itself in a mammaries elevated
disposition on the original machine.

Check that all the fans are working. Could be overheating something.

Two blown power caps on the main board next to the CPU.

That's symptoms. You need to diagnose what blew the caps.

Good Luck!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
"dan" wrote in message
What's that Lassie? You say that Bob La Londe fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Thu, 23 Jul 2009 17:59:11 -0700:

I pulled my accounting machine out of the office, (exact same computer)
and
I just hooked it to the controller without doing anything, or disabling
anything. Worked like a charm. Bios setup is identical. OS is the same
release, drives and memory are the same. I can only assume that the darn
processor has decided to establish itself in a mammaries elevated
disposition on the original machine.

Check that all the fans are working. Could be overheating something.

Two blown power caps on the main board next to the CPU.

That's symptoms. You need to diagnose what blew the caps.

Good Luck!
Rich

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/c...ndors-2003027/

...............Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dan" wrote in message
What's that Lassie? You say that Bob La Londe fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Thu, 23 Jul 2009 17:59:11 -0700:

I pulled my accounting machine out of the office, (exact same computer)
and
I just hooked it to the controller without doing anything, or disabling
anything. *Worked like a charm. *Bios setup is identical. *OS is the same
release, drives and memory are the same. *I can only assume that the darn
processor has decided to establish itself in a mammaries elevated
disposition on the original machine.

Check that all the fans are working. *Could be overheating something..

Two blown power caps on the main board next to the CPU.

That's symptoms. You need to diagnose what blew the caps.

Good Luck!
Rich

This is a very well known problem. ****ty electrolytics die simply
because they are ****ty. I've fixed dozens of motherboards and LCD
monitors by simply replacing the caps that are VISIBLY bad (bulging or
leaking). It's an easy fix for many, many monitors - almost the only
thing that ever goes wrong with them is the caps in the switching
supply for the backlight,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That article was from 2003, pointing out that the problem could've started
as early as 2001.
Any of the caps made with that bad electrolyte would have failed by now,
even if they were sitting on a shelf.
Any motherboard manufacturer that intends to make more than 1 batch of
motherboards would know better than to use old stock caps for production.

Failed electrolytic capacitors are common in many different types of
consumer grade electronic equipment, and it's extremely unlikely that any of
the failures today have anything to do with the stolen/counterfeit
electrolyte formulas as reported years ago.
The reasons for the failures are known, as most selected electrolytic
capacitors only minimally meet the application requirements, or not at all
(good enough to get the product onto store shelves).

The story writers need a new conspiracy theory, such as several large
warehouses full of the caps that have the bad electrolyte were re-wrapped
with new counterfeit labels/skins and sold to various equipment
manufacturers about a year ago.
The caps were discovered while administering the estate of a prominent Asian
businessman that died under questionable circumstances a number of years
ago.
I'm sure this scenario is lacking in an adequate level of drama, which for
any good writer, shouldn't be a problem.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"catguy" wrote in message

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/c...ndors-2003027/

..............Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:

That article was from 2003, pointing out that the problem could've started
as early as 2001.
Any of the caps made with that bad electrolyte would have failed by now,
even if they were sitting on a shelf.
Any motherboard manufacturer that intends to make more than 1 batch of
motherboards would know better than to use old stock caps for production.

That is the standard failure mode for low ESR electrolytics in
SMPS. I saw it long before the cheap caps brought a lot of attention to
the problem. I was seeing them in 1987 in computer terminals. Most
electrolytics are rated for 2000 hours of service at the rated operating
temperature. As soon as the ESR starts to rise, the capacitor starts to
generate internal more heat from the AC current that flows through them,
to ground. That causes the ESr to continue to rise, generating more
heat. If the equipment can operate long enough, the electrolyte will
boil, and bulge the can, blow the vent, or literally blow the can off
the circuit board, if the vent fails.

Make sure you use good quality, low ESR replacements, and the same,
or higher rated temperature.

"catguy" wrote in message

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/c...ndors-2003027/

..............Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 27, 6:49*pm, "Wild_Bill" wrote:
[...]

"catguy" wrote in message

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/c...lague-motherbo...

Bill, you can *THINK* whatever you want, or you can come over here and
look at the pile of bad caps I have replaced in the past year. This is
not a fantasy. Take an LCD with a black screen, open it up, look for
the bulging caps. replace them, and you have a working monitor. Of
course, while in there, I test and replace all the suspect caps. It is
very seldom that an LCD fails for any other reason.