Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Mach 3 Crashing PC

Bite Me wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bite Me wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Bob La Londe wrote:

I have not fired up my mini mill for a couple weeks, but I need to
engrave
some replacement number chips for a club I help run. Anyway, turned
ont
he
PC and started my controller the other day, and I have been dinking
with
it
off and on for about a week now.

Nothign seems to be wrong with the PC. All other software works.
AVAST
says it has a clean bill of health. Memory tests are ok, but when I
start
Mach 3 the PC reboots. Not always instantly, but everytime.

Following diagnostics were done.

Memory test
Re-install Mach 3
Install latest version of Mach 3
Unplug controller from LPT port
Start Mach 3 with different setup file.

Still crashes. I can run multiple other aps... no crash.

HELP!!!

I'd suggest posting on the Machsupport forum where you will likely get
faster response.

I did.

It sounds like the Mach pulser driver is hosed, have you ensured that
got reinstalled?

??? parrallel port driver?

The Mach pulser driver is low level and I seem to recall had some extra
procedure to remove and reinstall.

It had begun crashing before the upgrade anyway. Hence why I
re-installed
and then upgraded.

Also have you checked at BIOS level to see if the
config for the LPT port(s) didn't magically get "plug and played" and
change addresses?

That I will check. Not sure how that would cause the software to crash
the
PC and reboot, but I'll check it just to be safe.

I had that exact problem with a couple parallel ports that kept changing
addresses (extra dual port card), and it would crash the Mach pulser
driver when it tried to access stuff that the former address. I finally
got the card addresses locked down and it's worked fine since then.

Off hand do you recall which IRQ and memory address did you use?

LPT1 (built in) is at the normal 0x0378
LPT2 is at 0xDD00
LPT3 is at 0xDF00

All three are set to "never use an interrupt".