Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Selling Guns

My dad's health is failing him and he has a lot of difficulty walking with a
walker, he needs surgery but the doctors don't think he'd survive because of
his problems with blood clots... It's likely he will be unable to walk in
the not so distant future.

Anyway, due to his loss of income and disability, he's wanting me to try to
help sell some of his guns for him and naturally he'd like to get the best
price he can for them. Dad was a hunter an liked hunting trips but never
did much sport shooting. Most of his guns got sighted in and then only
fired at the hunt to verify scope after transportation and then shot at
game.

He has 4 of the America Remembers series Winchester lever action engraved
24K gold that have never been fired and not been handled much other than to
look at them a couple of times. He bought these around 1994-1996 to the
best of his memory, he has the certificates of authenticity. Some of the
guns are a limited edition series of 300 others are a limited edition series
of 500. He said he paid a couple thousand a piece for these back in the
day.

I'm not 100% sure but I think these are the rifles he has, will verify
later.

http://www.americaremembers.com/Prod...I/ROYGHTRI.asp

http://www.americaremembers.com/Prod...M/HCTRITEM.asp

http://www.americaremembers.com/Prod...JTRI/GJTRI.asp

http://www.americaremembers.com/Prod...TRI/GASTRI.asp

One Browning A-Bolt synthetic stock stainless steel 338 Winchester Magnum
with scope. Only shot enough to sight it in and go on an Alaskan bear hunt.
Asking $900 or make offer.

One H&R Mouser action 30-06, he used this on a moose hunt in Nova Scotia.
Asking $600 or make offer.

One CVA muzzle loader, stainless or nickel? with scope, taken deer hunting
locally and only shot maybe a dozen times. Asking $300

One Benelli slug gun used for Illinois deer hunting, I think it's a pump
12Ga., Synthetic all black, asking $600.

If anyone here is interested I'll give get more detail, just got this put on
me tonight and I have to get ready for bed to get up and go to work in the
morning. Right now I don't have the models of them and such. As I get time
I'll get pictures, model numbers, and scope details, etc..

What is the best way to sell these guns and get a fair/good price for them?

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I would try gunbroker.

I have a 22 Hornet Winchester gun for sale. Price is $400 cash. FOID
card required.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What is the best way to sell these guns and get a fair/good price for them?

RogerN

RagerN

Back when I used to move a lot of high priced photographic equipment I
used a broker and gave him a commission. I did know what the stuff is
worth though. Go to a few gun shows with high quality pictures. Look
for similar or the same rifles for sale. You will soon find out the
going price and soon find out the thieves who want to give you nothing
for them.

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message

I'm not 100% sure but I think these are the rifles he has, will verify
later.

http://www.americaremembers.com/Prod...I/ROYGHTRI.asp

No. 83 of 300

http://www.americaremembers.com/Prod...M/HCTRITEM.asp

No. 349 of 500

Sorry, I got this one wrong
http://www.americaremembers.com/Prod...JTRI/GJTRI.asp

It should be
http://www.americaremembers.com/prod...GENDLAWTRI.asp

No. 34 of 300

http://www.americaremembers.com/Prod...TRI/GASTRI.asp

No. 285 of 300

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message

[...]

Go to a gun broker. You are taking a chance even posting it here. DO NOT
DEAL DIRECTLY WITH THE PUBLIC UNLESS IT IS A GOOD FRIEND, AND DO NOT HAVE
ANYONE COME TO YOUR HOUSE. I'd try your closest friends to get a good
price, then the gun broker.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-14, Bob AZ wrote:
Back when I used to move a lot of high priced photographic equipment I
used a broker and gave him a commission. I did know what the stuff is
worth though. Go to a few gun shows with high quality pictures. Look
for similar or the same rifles for sale. You will soon find out the
going price and soon find out the thieves who want to give you nothing
for them.

Bob, let's say that you offer a gun for sale that is "worth"
$1,000. (worth as in, can be sold for $1,000 at an auction)

And let's say, hypothetically, that I email you and offer you $100.

Does that, in your eyes, make me a thief?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
"RogerN" wrote in message
[...]

I buy and sell guns to strangers, locally and over the internet, on a
regular basis. Not that big of a deal, with a little common sense.
Anything shipped out of state has to go through an FFL anyway.
These are hunting arms, not black rifles or AKs, or even handguns.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I know an old guy that was buying and selling guns all the time.
The BATF knocked on his door and asked how two pistols that traced
back to him filling out form 4473 could have found their way to being
confiscated in Japan.
He did not get in any trouble, but it put the fear of God in him, and
he quit selling pistols.
I asked about how many pistols he sold that could trace back to him,
he said ~ 100.
I think to really get in trouble you have to knowingly sell to a non
resident of your state.

That would suggest that 1% or 2% of the private sale handguns that
trace back to you could result in a knock on the door.

What does it all mean?
I will sell my long guns in private sales at the gunshow sometimes,
but I take my handguns to DJ Sports and sell on consignment.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
I know an old guy that was buying and selling guns all the time.
The BATF knocked on his door and asked how two pistols that traced
back to him filling out form 4473 could have found their way to being
confiscated in Japan.
He did not get in any trouble, but it put the fear of God in him, and
he quit selling pistols.
I asked about how many pistols he sold that could trace back to him,
he said ~ 100.
I think to really get in trouble you have to knowingly sell to a non
resident of your state.

That would suggest that 1% or 2% of the private sale handguns that
trace back to you could result in a knock on the door.

What does it all mean?
I will sell my long guns in private sales at the gunshow sometimes,
but I take my handguns to DJ Sports and sell on consignment.

That is correct, knowingly selling to someone ineligible to buy is
illegal. You can either do zero research (Don't ask, don't tell?) or
make some attempt. Most of the people I have dealt with had current
Texas CHLs. If not, I request a photocopy of their DL showing Texas
residence. I have also provided that when buying.
So far, I have not had anyone try to buy a gun from me that I would
not feel comfortable coming in my house. But I can usually screen those
sorts out way before it comes to a meeting. It just has not been an issue.

Supposedly the BATF is knocking on doors here in Texas and asking to see
firearms from specific 4473s.
The consensus is don't let them in the house and show them nothing
without a warrant.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 14, 12:12*pm, RBnDFW wrote:
wrote:
[...]

without a warrant.- Hide quoted text -

This part and parcel with the Mexican claim that the US is the source
of their firearms troubles. So BATFE is going door to door tracing
"suspicious" purchases in Texas. And the fun is only starting.
There's never really been a concerted effort to go after "strawman"
purchases and purchasors, just attempts to entrap dealers that way.

As far as the O.P. is concerned, those commemoratives only command top
dollar if absolutely new in the original box with all papers and
accessories. And that's if you can find a collector of such. If
they've been fired or even show handling marks, you won't get much
more than blue book for them. I've been to shows where guys have had
piles of the Winchester commemoratives and they didn't move. There
are a couple of blue books out there for valuation, best bet is to
visit some of the auction sites and see what current pricing is on the
same items. And a lot depends on what area of the country you're in.
In some states, you can't hardly give away a bolt action in a big game
caliber, deer hunting is done with shotguns, small game with shotguns
or .22s.

Stan.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-14, Bob AZ wrote:
Back when I used to move a lot of high priced photographic equipment I
used a broker and gave him a commission. I did know what the stuff is
worth though. Go to a few gun shows with high quality pictures. Look
for similar or the same rifles for sale. You will soon find out the
going price and soon find out the thieves who want to give you nothing
for them.

Bob, let's say that you offer a gun for sale that is "worth"
$1,000. (worth as in, can be sold for $1,000 at an auction)

And let's say, hypothetically, that I email you and offer you $100.

Does that, in your eyes, make me a thief?

In my opinion, for example if a woman's husband died and you were interested
in buying his guns. If you told the widow that a gun worth $1000 was only
worth $100 then you would be taking advantage of her and would be a thief.
If you was interested in the gun and offered $100 but didn't lie claiming
that's all it's worth, then it would be up to the seller to take $100 for it
or hold out for a reasonable offer. I guess the bottom line is the heart,
if you're getting a $1000 gun for $100 by lying and deceiving or if that is
really what it's worth to you or the amount of money you can afford to
offer. Many offer a fraction of what something is worth trying to get a
steal by convincing the seller that it's a fair price.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-15, RogerN wrote:
[...]

I usually say "this is all I can offer".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus13927" wrote in message

I usually say "this is all I can offer".

my approach has been "that kind of thing might sell for $1000 to the right
buyer, but not to me - to me it will sell for $100 (or whatever I'm willing
to offer) - many times the seller thinks and sells it to me anyway

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 07:03:04 -0500, Ignoramus13927

On 2009-07-14, Bob AZ wrote:
Back when I used to move a lot of high priced photographic equipment I
used a broker and gave him a commission. I did know what the stuff is
worth though. Go to a few gun shows with high quality pictures. Look
for similar or the same rifles for sale. You will soon find out the
going price and soon find out the thieves who want to give you nothing
for them.

Bob, let's say that you offer a gun for sale that is "worth"
$1,000. (worth as in, can be sold for $1,000 at an auction)

And let's say, hypothetically, that I email you and offer you $100.

Does that, in your eyes, make me a thief?

I'm not Bob but...

You're not a thief if you make a lowball offer to a seller in general
commerce. You may be insulting, but bidness is bidness.

Lowballing a widow's estate for bargains and personal gain might make
you a vulture, if you care. It's legal and some might view it as smart
bidness.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:05:57 -0500, Ignoramus13927
wrote:

On 2009-07-15, RogerN wrote:
[...]

Do you offer the widow the benefit of your expertise re what fair
value might be -- or do you hope that she has no such guidance and
will be easy and profitable prey for you?

I don't want a response, Ig, I merely offer this as food for thought.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:31:19 -0700, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

"Ignoramus13927" wrote in message
m...

I usually say "this is all I can offer".

my approach has been "that kind of thing might sell for $1000 to the right
buyer, but not to me - to me it will sell for $100 (or whatever I'm willing
to offer) - many times the seller thinks and sells it to me anyway

That seems fair enough. Holding out for a "right buyer" may well be
beyond the seller's ability or tolerance for hassle. BTDT.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:
"Ignoramus13927" wrote in message

I usually say "this is all I can offer".

my approach has been "that kind of thing might sell for $1000 to the right
buyer, but not to me - to me it will sell for $100 (or whatever I'm willing
to offer) - many times the seller thinks and sells it to me anyway

Same here. I had an email exchange like that just this week, and
recommended the seller post it on a couple of forums specific to the
brand he was selling, at a recommended asking price. And I also made a
fair (lower) offer based on what it was worth to me.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 13, 10:06*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
[...]

Good luck with your father.

It sucks to get old with its failing health.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2009-07-15, RogerN wrote:
[...]

Years ago I attended an auction of an auto parts store in south Dallas.
the owner was an elderly black fellow. The store was old, the inventory
aged. The lots went for about 10 cents on the dollar. I bought one lot
worth $3500, for $300.
Came back later to pick it up. The owner was the only one there, and
he looked miserable. He had had an opportunity to return the merchandise
to his warehouse for close to purchase cost, but had declined because
"They treated me good for many years". An auctioneer had convinced him
he could make at least as much at auction.
It turned out he had sold the store in order to finance a
much-needed heart surgery. The proceeds fell far short of the money
needed. He didn't know what he was going to do.
Needless to say I felt pretty bad about my purchase. I offered to
skip it and let him return it to his distributor at thousands more, but
he declined.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 14, 9:05*pm, Ignoramus13927 ignoramus13...@NOSPAM.
On 2009-07-15, RogerN wrote:

[...]

I call that "what the market will bear".

The seller can always say "No".

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill Noble" wrote in message

"Ignoramus13927" wrote in message

I usually say "this is all I can offer".

my approach has been "that kind of thing might sell for $1000 to the right
buyer, but not to me - to me it will sell for $100 (or whatever I'm
willing to offer) - many times the seller thinks and sells it to me anyway

I have left a card on bigger items, and said if you don't sell it, call me.
Got a couple of big ticket items cheap like that.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13927 wrote:
Does that, in your eyes, make me a thief?

Boy, there's a lot of scenarios he you approach a widow that you know
she doesn't know anything & try to con her vs. she has put the guns on
the market with an asking price. Or it's not a widow, but an otherwise
knowledgeable guy who doesn't know guns. Or it's a shrewd widow trying
to con *you*.

"A fool & his money are soon parted" also applies to the ignorant. A
seller that doesn't make an effort to determine the market is a fool.

That said, I try to be fair & use the Golden Rule to do it. That works
both ways: I don't mislead because I wouldn't want to be misled, but I
also don't offer more than the asking price because I'd never expect
that to happen if I was a seller.

Fundamentally, the assumption is that it's an arms-length transaction.
Nobody should expect anybody to be doing favors.

YMMV, of course,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Ignoramus13927 wrote:
Does that, in your eyes, make me a thief?

Boy, there's a lot of scenarios he you approach a widow that you
know she doesn't know anything & try to con her vs. she has put the
guns on the market with an asking price. Or it's not a widow, but an
otherwise knowledgeable guy who doesn't know guns. Or it's a shrewd
widow trying to con *you*.

"A fool & his money are soon parted" also applies to the ignorant. A
seller that doesn't make an effort to determine the market is a fool.

That said, I try to be fair & use the Golden Rule to do it. That
works both ways: I don't mislead because I wouldn't want to be
misled, but I also don't offer more than the asking price because I'd
never expect that to happen if I was a seller.

Fundamentally, the assumption is that it's an arms-length transaction.
Nobody should expect anybody to be doing favors.

Well, the dead guy could have left instructions or guidance you know.
He/She is the one to be counted on for favors.

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I want to be clear on paying fair prices for things. I always, without
exception, try to pay substantially below fair price on
anything. Widow, non-widow, does not matter, I almost never offer a
fair price for any item, except things that I urgently need or staple
stuff.

If someone tells me "this is a fair price, I looked up ebay, we will
split your savings on shipping" my answer is simply "I never pay a
fair price" and "then sell it on ebay".

The upside of this approach, besides saving money, is that if I change
my mind and decide that I do not need something, I can always sell it
at a modest profit.

Trying to buy below fair price does not always work, as sometimes
things are sold with hidden defects, but even disappointments are not
quite as ruinous.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Not to hijack the discussion RogerN but a related issue is "How do you
decide what something is worth?" both from the seller and buyer.

Now with guns you have some resources to rely on but how about the
item that is hard to price?

What I have seen is that many people use Ebay for their pricing guide.

And when I see that happen, I usually walk.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-15, RogerN wrote:
[...]

The only gun I've ever actually owned was a Lorkin .25 auto. I bought
it for $50.00, shot a box of bullets at the plinking range, and just
set it sit on the shelf until some guy offered me $75 for it. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 22:06:17 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

[...]

Roger...take a long look for similar items on gunbroker.com,
auctionarms.com, etc etc and see what the final prices were.

While in your area..perhaps the arms are worth that much...shrug....in
most others..they are not.

And we are in the beginning states of a Great Depression. Sell them as
quickly as you can for the most you can get...OR simply sit on them for
5-8 yrs and they may go back up in price.

Frankly..Id not sell them at this time, or...Id put them up for sale at
the local gun dealer, with a fixed hidden MINIMUM price and an exact
consignment fee, and let the dealer do the bargaining. A price you wont
go down below is smart and allows the dealer to put on a bargainable
price thats higher.

That Benelli shotgun...for example tends to sell for at least $1000 in
many places. Not on any of the gun sites I just viewed. Perhaps a
dealer may have a big spender want it. And it would sell for more than
what you are asking. Or it will go for $400 when he gets tired of
looking at it. $600 difference in price makes a BIG deal...

Just a heads up..frankly..Id love to have the 338..but the 300 Win mag
version I bought for $475 is good enough.

You get the idea....

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 22:06:17 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

snip
[...]

The prices are the starting price, I'm pretty sure he'd go down $100 on most
or perhaps best offer. It seems you almost always have to ask a higher
price because no mater what, someone will want to talk you down.

A few years ago my Dad gave me a Remington 338 Win. Mag. with a Leopold
(sp?) scope and has been magna ported (sp?) (wood stock and blue barrel).
It's only been shot enough to sight in, verify, and perhaps shoot a bear
(I'm not sure if he used the Remington or Browning in the bear hunt).
Anyway, he said if I wanted I could sell my 338 instead and have his
Browning A-Bolt SS with Burris scope. My Remington would be lower price and
might sell faster, is a Browning A-Bolt better than a Remington (700???)?

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

[...]

I bought a Remington 552 Speedmaster .22 cal. Monte Carlo grade for $70 at a
pawn shop a few years ago. They wanted $125. I came back in after a couple
of weeks, and noticed they still had it, and offered $70 and got it. I like
that gun. Don't think they knew what they had, and just wanted to turn
their money. Point is, prices are all over the map.

And I'd say that mechanically, the A bolt is a little better built, but the
700s have a reputation for being the most accurate out of the box. Used a
lot for sniper rifles by armed forces. And such a darn pretty gun, you hate
to take it afield for danger of scratching. That's why I'd buy
stainless/synthetic on either if I was to buy a game gun. And I'd go .300
short mag.

mho, ymmv, idgaf, etc.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 23:07:59 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

[...]

Damn..its tempting..Id love a 338 to shoot these big California jack
rabbits with (cast bullets). Ive been using a 375 H&H for years for
this...shrug.

Just out of curiosoty..how much?

But Im really not able to pay much cash...though..I could do some
bartering...I did just close out a factory.....VBG

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 23:31:28 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

"RogerN" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Marvelous rifle!! Can dump in a handful of shorts, longs and long
rifles, mixed together and the rifle will continue to shoot very well.

You did marvelously good G

I picked up a 572 (pump version) 25 yrs ago for my left handed son to
learn to shoot. I think then I paid $75 for it..still have it too G
but at that time...$75 was a lot of money for a .22

And I'd say that mechanically, the A bolt is a little better built, but the
700s have a reputation for being the most accurate out of the box. Used a
lot for sniper rifles by armed forces. And such a darn pretty gun, you hate
to take it afield for danger of scratching. That's why I'd buy
stainless/synthetic on either if I was to buy a game gun. And I'd go .300
short mag.

mho, ymmv, idgaf, etc.

Steve

The 700 is the Basis for many accurate sniper weapons..but right out of
the box..unless its a PS version...they are only at best.."Ok".

The A-bolt is a fine weapon..but..shrug..Id just as soon have a 700 and
put the rest of what it would cost to buy a A bolt into brass, powder
and bullets...and dies of course...and put gas in my truck for a week or
two.

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Do you have any PLC's? Perhaps an Allen Bradley PLC5 or SLC 500?
Panelviews?

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 20:28:10 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I had 3 Honeywells and 5 Allen Bradleys installed in 8'x 10' electrical
"walls" and they were simply picked up after I disconnected them from
the equipment and power..and transported directly to 20 foot cargo
dumpsters and dropped in. I cringed when they did it. SLC500 rings a
bell. Sorry...shrug.

I saved what I could..just about anything machining related I could get
into the pickup or the trailer.

GUNS No Name Metalworking 0 April 19th 09 12:38 PM
ail guns....when to use SBH[_2_] Home Repair 3 April 13th 09 01:55 AM
spool guns habbi Metalworking 4 August 20th 05 06:47 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
If Guns Were Outlawed, Only Bad Dogs Would Have Guns Joe Metalworking 0 September 9th 04 07:50 PM