Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Selling Guns

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 23:31:28 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

"RogerN" wrote in message
om...

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 22:06:17 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

snip
Roger...take a long look for similar items on gunbroker.com,
auctionarms.com, etc etc and see what the final prices were.

While in your area..perhaps the arms are worth that much...shrug....in
most others..they are not.

And we are in the beginning states of a Great Depression. Sell them as
quickly as you can for the most you can get...OR simply sit on them for
5-8 yrs and they may go back up in price.

Frankly..Id not sell them at this time, or...Id put them up for sale at
the local gun dealer, with a fixed hidden MINIMUM price and an exact
consignment fee, and let the dealer do the bargaining. A price you wont
go down below is smart and allows the dealer to put on a bargainable
price thats higher.

That Benelli shotgun...for example tends to sell for at least $1000 in
many places. Not on any of the gun sites I just viewed. Perhaps a
dealer may have a big spender want it. And it would sell for more than
what you are asking. Or it will go for $400 when he gets tired of
looking at it. $600 difference in price makes a BIG deal...

Just a heads up..frankly..Id love to have the 338..but the 300 Win mag
version I bought for $475 is good enough.

You get the idea....

Gunner

The prices are the starting price, I'm pretty sure he'd go down $100 on
most or perhaps best offer. It seems you almost always have to ask a
higher price because no mater what, someone will want to talk you down.

A few years ago my Dad gave me a Remington 338 Win. Mag. with a Leopold
(sp?) scope and has been magna ported (sp?) (wood stock and blue barrel).
It's only been shot enough to sight in, verify, and perhaps shoot a bear
(I'm not sure if he used the Remington or Browning in the bear hunt).
Anyway, he said if I wanted I could sell my 338 instead and have his
Browning A-Bolt SS with Burris scope. My Remington would be lower price
and might sell faster, is a Browning A-Bolt better than a Remington
(700???)?

RogerN

I bought a Remington 552 Speedmaster .22 cal. Monte Carlo grade for $70 at a
pawn shop a few years ago. They wanted $125. I came back in after a couple
of weeks, and noticed they still had it, and offered $70 and got it. I like
that gun. Don't think they knew what they had, and just wanted to turn
their money. Point is, prices are all over the map.

Marvelous rifle!! Can dump in a handful of shorts, longs and long
rifles, mixed together and the rifle will continue to shoot very well.

You did marvelously good G

I picked up a 572 (pump version) 25 yrs ago for my left handed son to
learn to shoot. I think then I paid $75 for it..still have it too G
but at that time...$75 was a lot of money for a .22

And I'd say that mechanically, the A bolt is a little better built, but the
700s have a reputation for being the most accurate out of the box. Used a
lot for sniper rifles by armed forces. And such a darn pretty gun, you hate
to take it afield for danger of scratching. That's why I'd buy
stainless/synthetic on either if I was to buy a game gun. And I'd go .300
short mag.

mho, ymmv, idgaf, etc.

Steve

The 700 is the Basis for many accurate sniper weapons..but right out of
the box..unless its a PS version...they are only at best.."Ok".

The A-bolt is a fine weapon..but..shrug..Id just as soon have a 700 and
put the rest of what it would cost to buy a A bolt into brass, powder
and bullets...and dies of course...and put gas in my truck for a week or
two.

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"