Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default OT - Selling Guns

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:05:57 -0500, Ignoramus13927

On 2009-07-15, RogerN wrote:
Bob, let's say that you offer a gun for sale that is "worth"
$1,000. (worth as in, can be sold for $1,000 at an auction)

And let's say, hypothetically, that I email you and offer you $100.

Does that, in your eyes, make me a thief?

In my opinion, for example if a woman's husband died and you were interested
in buying his guns. If you told the widow that a gun worth $1000 was only
worth $100 then you would be taking advantage of her and would be a thief.
If you was interested in the gun and offered $100 but didn't lie claiming
that's all it's worth, then it would be up to the seller to take $100 for it
or hold out for a reasonable offer. I guess the bottom line is the heart,
if you're getting a $1000 gun for $100 by lying and deceiving or if that is
really what it's worth to you or the amount of money you can afford to
offer. Many offer a fraction of what something is worth trying to get a
steal by convincing the seller that it's a fair price.

I usually say "this is all I can offer".

Do you offer the widow the benefit of your expertise re what fair
value might be -- or do you hope that she has no such guidance and
will be easy and profitable prey for you?

I don't want a response, Ig, I merely offer this as food for thought.