Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "How to Run a Lathe" South Bend Manual Question

I see several old copies available on eBay.

Is there a particular edition/year that is considered "best" in some
way?

(Such as: Better illustrations? Easier-to-understand writing style?
More applicable to current machine designs? Layout or presentation of
information? Other considerations?)

I am a lurker w/o a lathe - who will someday get one; in the meantime
would like to bone up on the basic principles.

-j
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 3, 12:39*pm, JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
I see several old copies available on eBay.

Is there a particular edition/year that is considered "best" in some
way?

(Such as: Better illustrations? Easier-to-understand writing style?
More applicable to current machine designs? Layout or presentation of
information? Other considerations?)

I am a lurker w/o a lathe - who will someday get one; in the meantime
would like to bone up on the basic principles.

-j

I have the 1942 and 1965 editions. There isn't much difference and
neither addresses modern geared-head machines, the South Bends had
leather belt drives. The headstock controls accomplish the same
functions as on a modern lathe, they are just arranged and operated
differently.

Manual lathe operation has barely changed since 1900 when High Speed
Steel came out. I'm reading a lathe book from 1906 and almost
everything in it still applies, especially to the small lathes for
hobbyists which are if anything a step down from a good machine of 100
years ago.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
I see several old copies available on eBay.

Is there a particular edition/year that is considered "best" in some
way?

(Such as: Better illustrations? Easier-to-understand writing style?
More applicable to current machine designs? Layout or presentation of
information? Other considerations?)

I am a lurker w/o a lathe - who will someday get one; in the meantime
would like to bone up on the basic principles.

I was faced with the same issue.

So I enrolled in a basic machining course at my local Junior College.
I drafted a friend to join me. We both learned a lot and enjoyed
ourselves immensely. Here is the nearest equivalent class:
http://www.deanza.edu/schedule/class...detailNum=6037

Nine hours of lecture and laboratory for $5.00.

We each made a tap wrench and a drill angle gauge.
I use the tap wrench often.

It was cool to learn new stuff and cooler to unlearn stuff that
"wasn't so".

We both passed with an 'A'.

Highly recommended.

--Winston

--

Don't *faff*, dear.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
I see several old copies available on eBay.

Is there a particular edition/year that is considered "best" in some
way?

(Such as: Better illustrations? Easier-to-understand writing style?
More applicable to current machine designs? Layout or presentation of
information? Other considerations?)

I am a lurker w/o a lathe - who will someday get one; in the meantime
would like to bone up on the basic principles.

There's a PDF version of this floating around in the ether.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 12:39:30 -0400, JoanD'arcRoast
wrote:

I see several old copies available on eBay.

Is there a particular edition/year that is considered "best" in some
way?

(Such as: Better illustrations? Easier-to-understand writing style?
More applicable to current machine designs? Layout or presentation of
information? Other considerations?)

I am a lurker w/o a lathe - who will someday get one; in the meantime
would like to bone up on the basic principles.

-j

==========
Get acquainted with Lindsay books.
http://lindsaybks.com/

for lathe in particular see
http://lindsaybks.com/bks/lathebk/index.html

Everything I have purchased from Lindsay has been good. His
re-prints of the older books are very helpful for the home
machinist as these stress ingenuity over attachments.
http://lindsaybks.com/prod/sub/machine.html

Milne is a particularly good machining overview
http://lindsaybks.com/bks/milne/index.html

Just remember that this is a reprint from the 1940s and don't
waste [too much] time attempt to locate some of the obsolete
tools such as "Skinner" drill chucks.

For deeper insight into how some of the machine tools work and
are constructed, see the Gingery series on building your own.
Even if you don't build your own, these will give you some
insight into the operating principals and "work arounds."
http://lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/series/index.html
also
http://lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/index.html

His shop notebook is very good.
http://lindsaybks.com/dgjp/djgbk/shopn1/index.html

My only problem is spending all my hobby money on books...

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

JoanD'arcRoast wrote:

I see several old copies available on eBay.

Is there a particular edition/year that is considered "best" in some
way?

(Such as: Better illustrations? Easier-to-understand writing style?
More applicable to current machine designs? Layout or presentation of
information? Other considerations?)

I am a lurker w/o a lathe - who will someday get one; in the meantime
would like to bone up on the basic principles.

-j

There is a guy that has most of these on line as scans. http://wewilliams.net/

I grabbed a bunch a few years ago and he is still up afaikt.

http://wewilliams.net/SBLibrary.htm

Save your money.

HTH,

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

:

On Apr 3, 12:39*pm, JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
I see several old copies available on eBay.

Is there a particular edition/year that is considered "best" in some
way?

(Such as: Better illustrations? Easier-to-understand writing style?
More applicable to current machine designs? Layout or presentation of
information? Other considerations?)

I am a lurker w/o a lathe - who will someday get one; in the meantime
would like to bone up on the basic principles.

-j

Hey Joan,

I've got a couple somewhere, but the one I found easily and is
probably the latest (I have) of the SB How .to .Lathe is from 1966 as
a reprint of what on the list on page one appears to have started in
1914.

One thing that was very valuable/useful in those book(lets) is/was
"how to sharpen cutting tools" for a specific job/situation. For your
purposes now-a-days though, one thing about that which has changed, is
that there is less and less of the lantern type tool-holder useage
(had a dished washer and a "rocker" for adjustment action to set the
tool height). A lot, if not most, of the Armstrong toolholders were
made with that in mind. The tool holders themselves are quite
expensive.

Today, pretty much all holders are the Aloris type holders, which hold
tools clamped "flat" and horizontal, rather than "tipped" as with the
lantern type, so it's important to get that concept in mind . It has
quite an effect on how you grind the tool-bits, Not that the proper
"angles" have changed, but the way the tool-bit is held and presented
to the work is, and affects the grinding.

I would suggest "Machine Shop Practice, Vol I & II" by Moltrecht. My
set came through Industrial Press (as in Machinery's Handbook fame).
Another interesting reference (of hundreds) is "The Henry Ford Trade
School" manual.

Take care.

Good luck.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Brian Lawson wrote:

:

On Apr 3, 12:39*pm, JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
I see several old copies available on eBay.

Is there a particular edition/year that is considered "best" in some
way?

(Such as: Better illustrations? Easier-to-understand writing style?
More applicable to current machine designs? Layout or presentation of
information? Other considerations?)

I am a lurker w/o a lathe - who will someday get one; in the meantime
would like to bone up on the basic principles.

-j

--snip--

If you are looking for originals my favorite is the hard back version

m oberg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Why buy anything?

Go he
http://metalworking.com/tutorials/AR...524-index.html

It's broader, covering most machine tools, and free for the reading.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------

JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
I see several old copies available on eBay.

Is there a particular edition/year that is considered "best" in some
way?

(Such as: Better illustrations? Easier-to-understand writing style?
More applicable to current machine designs? Layout or presentation of
information? Other considerations?)

I am a lurker w/o a lathe - who will someday get one; in the meantime
would like to bone up on the basic principles.

-j

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 3, 10:39*am, JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
I see several old copies available on eBay.

Is there a particular edition/year that is considered "best" in some
way?

(Such as: Better illustrations? Easier-to-understand writing style?
More applicable to current machine designs? Layout or presentation of
information? Other considerations?)

I am a lurker w/o a lathe - who will someday get one; in the meantime
would like to bone up on the basic principles.

-j

They don't change a lot over the various editions, if Lindsey's got a
reprint cheaper, go for that. None of them are up to date with modern
gear-head lathes and CNC stuff. If you get one of the older manual
lathes, like a lot of us have, it's a good reference. Look up some of
Colvin and Stanley's books, too. Some good stuff in those.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

writes:

They don't change a lot over the various editions, if Lindsey's got a
reprint cheaper, go for that.

Lindsey's shipping is cheaper as well. (book rates)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
, mike
oberg wrote:

In article ,
Brian Lawson wrote:

:

On Apr 3, 12:39*pm, JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
I see several old copies available on eBay.

Is there a particular edition/year that is considered "best" in some
way?

(Such as: Better illustrations? Easier-to-understand writing style?
More applicable to current machine designs? Layout or presentation of
information? Other considerations?)

I am a lurker w/o a lathe - who will someday get one; in the meantime
would like to bone up on the basic principles.

-j

--snip--

If you are looking for originals my favorite is the hard back version

m oberg

Thanks to all for the helpful responses.
Thumbs up to spaco for the metalworking.com/tutorials links.

-j
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default NAMES is almost here!!

Hey all,

I'm off to Toledo in just a few minutes to get started on set-up for
the NAMES show next weekend. My computer was crashed until this
morning, and now I'm in a super rush, so I didn't get a chance to
extol the good things about attending if you can. But it looks like
another good one, and it's number 20, so if you can make it please try
to get there.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brian Lawson wrote:

Hey all,

I'm off to Toledo in just a few minutes to get started on set-up for
the NAMES show next weekend. My computer was crashed until this
morning, and now I'm in a super rush, so I didn't get a chance to
extol the good things about attending if you can. But it looks like
another good one, and it's number 20, so if you can make it please try
to get there.

I hope you have arrived safely and things are in good order.

Names is really great!

Errol's Pics
http://neme-s.org/NAMES_2008/north_a...ngineering.htm

Mine
http://garage-machinist.com/names2008/index.html

Bandwidth limited.
http://wess.freeshell.org/usenet/rec...ng/Names_2007/

Brian posted this schedule of seminars earlier.

March 31, 2009 NAMES 20th Annual Seminar Schedule

Time TOPIC Presenter

SATURDAY
10:00AM "TIPS FOR BEGINNERS" by Clif Roemmich

10:00AM "STIRLING ENGINES" by Bert deKat (Principles of engines
run by EXTERNAL heat)

10:00AM "GET KIDS IN THE HOBBY" by Chip Greene

11:00AM "BUILD A BACKYARD FOUNDRY" by Rick Chownyk (A simple foundry
furnace)
12:00PM "ALUMINUM CASTING" by Rick Chownyk
(Patterns and molds and pouring)

12:00PM "ADVENTURES IN HOMESHOP CNC" by Ron Ginger

12:00PM "SILVER SOLDERING & FABRICATING SMALL PARTS" by Jerry
Kieffer

2:00PM "STATIONARY STEAM (used in) POWER HOUSES" by Brad Smith
2:00PM "A DECADE of EVIC ENGINE DEVELOPMENT" by Dave Bowes
(Computer chip control of a gasoline engine by valves alone. No
carburettor!!)

2:00PM "TRY THIS" by Phil Shannon (Tips for specific tasks, and
a good Q&A)

4:00PM "ROTARY PHASE CONVERTORS" by Bob Swinney (Get "commercial"
3 phase power in the home shop from standard household wiring)

4:00PM "ART TO PART" by John Barlage (from concept to design to a
finished part)

4:00PM "WORKING WITH SMALL CASTINGS AND PARTS" by Ron Grimes
(some VERY small)

SUNDAY
10:00AM "3D DESIGN CAD FOR THE MODEL ENGINEER" by Mike Rehmus

10:00AM "ORGANIZATIONAL TIPS FOR THE SMALL SHOP" by Peter Renzetti

10:00AM "EDM......STILL MAGIC " Mark Toth & Reg Miller (Cutting
Metal with Electricity)

1:00PM "RUBBER AND INVESTMENT CASTING" by Louis Chenot (Lou is
this years "model")

Wes