Default Opportunity to get free South Bend 9" Lathe

I've got an opportunity to get a south bend 9" lathe with 36" bed. It
was working when it was put outside with a tarp over it. The tarp
ripped and it's rusted.

Is it worth my time to pick it up and rebuild it? How much do you think
it would cost to rebuild it?

Thanks for the feedback. My dad was a GREAT tool and die maker back in
the 70's and 80's. He's gone now and I was bitten by the woodworking
bug a few years ago and now seem to have gotten bitten by the
metalworking bug (still love wood too).

Unfortunately, I didn't really have an interest in metalworking while
dad was alive and don't really have substantial knowledge in the area.
This will be my first lathe, metal or wood (haven't really needed a
lathe in the woodshop yet). I'm looking forward to trying to rebuild it
and then making some chips.

Ray Field

For help on restoration, use, and parts - go to
www.groups.yahoo.com/group/southbendlathe/
lots of good SouthBend specific info and help there.
Ray
ups.com...