Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson Brian Lawson is offline

Default "How to Run a Lathe" South Bend Manual Question

:

On Apr 3, 12:39*pm, JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
I see several old copies available on eBay.

Is there a particular edition/year that is considered "best" in some
way?

(Such as: Better illustrations? Easier-to-understand writing style?
More applicable to current machine designs? Layout or presentation of
information? Other considerations?)

I am a lurker w/o a lathe - who will someday get one; in the meantime
would like to bone up on the basic principles.

-j

Hey Joan,

I've got a couple somewhere, but the one I found easily and is
probably the latest (I have) of the SB How .to .Lathe is from 1966 as
a reprint of what on the list on page one appears to have started in
1914.

One thing that was very valuable/useful in those book(lets) is/was
"how to sharpen cutting tools" for a specific job/situation. For your
purposes now-a-days though, one thing about that which has changed, is
that there is less and less of the lantern type tool-holder useage
(had a dished washer and a "rocker" for adjustment action to set the
tool height). A lot, if not most, of the Armstrong toolholders were
made with that in mind. The tool holders themselves are quite
expensive.

Today, pretty much all holders are the Aloris type holders, which hold
tools clamped "flat" and horizontal, rather than "tipped" as with the
lantern type, so it's important to get that concept in mind . It has
quite an effect on how you grind the tool-bits, Not that the proper
"angles" have changed, but the way the tool-bit is held and presented
to the work is, and affects the grinding.

I would suggest "Machine Shop Practice, Vol I & II" by Moltrecht. My
set came through Industrial Press (as in Machinery's Handbook fame).
Another interesting reference (of hundreds) is "The Henry Ford Trade
School" manual.

Take care.

Good luck.

Brian Lawson,