Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Source for LCD monitor?

Hey guys
I want to toss the old CRT video monitor perched atop my Emco 5 CNC.
I want to replace it with a small flat-panel display.
So I am looking for a good deal on a surplus or refurb (i.e. cheap) flat
panel with RCA video input.
Can be monochrome, though I'd prefer color.
Can even be a small TV, or a DVD player if it as RCA video input.
I've done searches several ways but can't find anything so far.

Can anyone point me to a model, or a site, or maybe you have something
suitable to sell?

Post here or email me directly.

thanks
Rex
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RB wrote:

Hey guys
I want to toss the old CRT video monitor perched atop my Emco 5 CNC.
I want to replace it with a small flat-panel display.
So I am looking for a good deal on a surplus or refurb (i.e. cheap) flat
panel with RCA video input.
Can be monochrome, though I'd prefer color.
Can even be a small TV, or a DVD player if it as RCA video input.
I've done searches several ways but can't find anything so far.

I'm not familiar with your machine. Having said that, I had a 5 axis waterjet cell built
around an AB8400B control that the terminal's CRT went dead. It had a 50-75 ohm video
input. A cheap monitor for a security camera I bought from Sam's club back around 1999 or
so got me back up and running.

Just a thought.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Can even be a small TV, or a DVD player if it as RCA video input.
I've done searches several ways but can't find anything so far.

Every LCD TV I've seen has RCA input. Why don't you hit Craig's List in your
area?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RB" wrote in message
Hey guys
I want to toss the old CRT video monitor perched atop my Emco 5 CNC.
I want to replace it with a small flat-panel display.
So I am looking for a good deal on a surplus or refurb (i.e. cheap) flat
panel with RCA video input.
Can be monochrome, though I'd prefer color.
Can even be a small TV, or a DVD player if it as RCA video input.
I've done searches several ways but can't find anything so far.

Can anyone point me to a model, or a site, or maybe you have something
suitable to sell?

Post here or email me directly.

http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=MON

They often have 19" LCD for about $99.99 and a 15" for $74.99. I have bought
lots of stuff from them over the years. Last purchase I bought 2 digital
cameras 8MP for under $60. at Christmas time. No problems.

Richard W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 17:19:40 -0500, RB wrote:

Hey guys
I want to toss the old CRT video monitor perched atop my Emco 5 CNC.
I want to replace it with a small flat-panel display.
So I am looking for a good deal on a surplus or refurb (i.e. cheap) flat
panel with RCA video input.
Can be monochrome, though I'd prefer color.
Can even be a small TV, or a DVD player if it as RCA video input.
I've done searches several ways but can't find anything so far.

Can anyone point me to a model, or a site, or maybe you have something
suitable to sell?

Post here or email me directly.

thanks
Rex

Lots of "dual screen" portable DVD players for automotive use. The
second screen would do just fine for RCA input, 7 - 10 inch diaganol
screen.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RB wrote:
Hey guys
I want to toss the old CRT video monitor perched atop my Emco 5 CNC.
I want to replace it with a small flat-panel display.
So I am looking for a good deal on a surplus or refurb (i.e. cheap) flat
panel with RCA video input.
Can be monochrome, though I'd prefer color.
Can even be a small TV, or a DVD player if it as RCA video input.
I've done searches several ways but can't find anything so far.

Can anyone point me to a model, or a site, or maybe you have something
suitable to sell?

Post here or email me directly.

thanks
Rex

Backup (automobile) camera / display system?
in-car video?
Portable DVD player?
Shop around, prob'ly less than 50 bucks if you don't need large.. /mark
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The small TV/DVD screens of LCD displays are commonly wide screens, so you
may lose the height you're accustomed to.

The 4:3 aspect ratio was the (RCA input) TV/VCR, CCTV and video
camera/monitor standard for decades, but movies are typically displayed in
letterbox or wide formats, so new LCD monitors intended for movie displays
have gone to the wide format.

The screen height on widescreen displays is shorter for given size, since
they are measured diagonally.

I bought a couple of wide 7" LCDs (for about $70 each) and they fill the
width of the screen (slightly stretched width-wise) instead of cropping the
sides with black.
I think a 5" 4:3 display would look about the same size for a composite
video input.

Other wide monitors may display the RCA input 4:3 input differently. If the
width is stretched to fill the screen, it may be annoying to look at,
particularly for text.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"RB" wrote in message
Hey guys
I want to toss the old CRT video monitor perched atop my Emco 5 CNC.
I want to replace it with a small flat-panel display.
So I am looking for a good deal on a surplus or refurb (i.e. cheap) flat
panel with RCA video input.
Can be monochrome, though I'd prefer color.
Can even be a small TV, or a DVD player if it as RCA video input.
I've done searches several ways but can't find anything so far.

Can anyone point me to a model, or a site, or maybe you have something
suitable to sell?

Post here or email me directly.

thanks
Rex

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RB wrote:
Hey guys
I want to toss the old CRT video monitor perched atop my Emco 5 CNC.
I want to replace it with a small flat-panel display.
So I am looking for a good deal on a surplus or refurb (i.e. cheap) flat
panel with RCA video input.
Can be monochrome, though I'd prefer color.
Can even be a small TV, or a DVD player if it as RCA video input.
I've done searches several ways but can't find anything so far.

Can anyone point me to a model, or a site, or maybe you have something
suitable to sell?

Post here or email me directly.

thanks
Rex

How large? Take a look at the dual screen DVD players sold for cars.
--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RB wrote in
:

Hey guys
I want to toss the old CRT video monitor perched atop my Emco 5
CNC.
I want to replace it with a small flat-panel display.
So I am looking for a good deal on a surplus or refurb (i.e. cheap)
flat panel with RCA video input.
Can be monochrome, though I'd prefer color.
Can even be a small TV, or a DVD player if it as RCA video input.
I've done searches several ways but can't find anything so far.

Can anyone point me to a model, or a site, or maybe you have something
suitable to sell?

Post here or email me directly.

thanks
Rex

Not necessarily as cheap as finding a ready to plug and play surplus
consumer electronic display like a car DVD remote screen, but these guys
are a source of surplus smaller LCD panel kits.
http://store.earthlcd.com/LCD-Products/LCD-Kits-ALL Make sure to look at
"kit" contents to see that the all necessary drive electornics are
included and it has a composite input with a suitable aspect ratio.

I've also been looking for a smaller monitor to use as a dual display on
my desktop for some software that can take advantage of having a command
window separate from the main monitor. I've found an RCA DRC6338 8"
portable DVD player at the local Walllyworld. Not many of the dvd
players list AV _inputs_ as a capability, this one does and it comes
with a 120V wallwart. For just over $100 it's about the same price as an
add on remote screen for a car DVD set and comes ready to run on house
power, the car stuff would need a 12V adaptor. YMMV

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
[...]

Good point, had not considered that.

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve W. wrote:
RB wrote:
Hey guys
I want to toss the old CRT video monitor perched atop my Emco 5 CNC.
I want to replace it with a small flat-panel display.
So I am looking for a good deal on a surplus or refurb (i.e. cheap) flat
panel with RCA video input.
Can be monochrome, though I'd prefer color.
Can even be a small TV, or a DVD player if it as RCA video input.
I've done searches several ways but can't find anything so far.

Can anyone point me to a model, or a site, or maybe you have something
suitable to sell?

Post here or email me directly.

thanks
Rex

How large? Take a look at the dual screen DVD players sold for cars.

The 2nd screen of one of those would be just about ideal, but I don't
want to buy the whole system.
Also I don't know what connectors they use.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Charles U Farley wrote:
RB wrote in
:

[...]

Charles, would you have a brand and model number for that player?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
[...]

You know, I have an old Toshiba notebook computer that mostly works....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 2, 6:19*pm, RB wrote:
Hey guys
* * *I want to toss the old CRT video monitor perched atop my Emco 5 CNC.
I want to replace it with a small flat-panel display.
So I am looking for a good deal on a surplus or refurb (i.e. cheap) flat
panel with RCA video input....
Rex

I bought a 15" LCD monitor recently for $30 in a second-hand store.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 06:37:30 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Apr 2, 6:19*pm, RB wrote:
Hey guys
* * *I want to toss the old CRT video monitor perched atop my Emco 5 CNC.
I want to replace it with a small flat-panel display.
So I am looking for a good deal on a surplus or refurb (i.e. cheap) flat
panel with RCA video input....
Rex

I bought a 15" LCD monitor recently for $30 in a second-hand store.

Ouch!!

I get em for Less than $10

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 3, 1:18*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 06:37:30 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins

I bought a 15" LCD monitor recently for $30 in a second-hand store.

Ouch!!
I get em for Less than $10

Tell the OP where.

They put up with me and will test the junk while I wait, so I don't
try to bargain them down. They sold me a freshly tested & formatted
laptop HDD for $20 after half an hour of digging around for a Seagate
(for DiscWizard) and threw in a free dead Compaq Armada E500 battery
to play with. It pops open easily and contains standard 18650 Li cells
that I have plenty of. I need to do more research on the cell dis and
reconnection sequence. Discharging to 0 is OK for NiCads but destroys
lithiums.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 13:39:33 -0500, RB wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Apr 3, 1:18 pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 06:37:30 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins

I bought a 15" LCD monitor recently for $30 in a second-hand store.
Ouch!!
I get em for Less than $10

Tell the OP where.

Yes, please!

Any second hand store in California..from Bakersfield all the way down
to Diego.

They are getting really cheap

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RB wrote:

You know, I have an old Toshiba notebook computer that mostly works....

How much time & money do you want to spend to try to convert NTSC to
a proprietary interface? This comes up quite often on the electronics
newsgroups.

--
And another motherboard bites the dust!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RB wrote in :

window separate from the main monitor. I've found an RCA DRC6338 8"
portable DVD player at the local Walllyworld. Not many of the dvd
players list AV _inputs_ as a capability, this one does and it comes
with a 120V wallwart. For just over $100 it's about the same price as an
add on remote screen for a car DVD set and comes ready to run on house
power, the car stuff would need a 12V adaptor. YMMV

Charles, would you have a brand and model number for that player?

It's burried in the post above. RCA brand, model DRC6338. Might be a
Canada specific model. Eight inch wide screen so may be smaller than what
you want.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RB wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
RB wrote:
You know, I have an old Toshiba notebook computer that mostly works....

How much time & money do you want to spend to try to convert NTSC to
a proprietary interface? This comes up quite often on the electronics
newsgroups.

Not much of either. There was a time I'd have tinkered with this, but no
longer have the patience for it.

Can you use the laptop as a terminal to control your CNC? Lots of
free terminal software out there, like Terra Term.

--
And another motherboard bites the dust!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 2, 5:19*pm, RB wrote:
Hey guys
* * *I want to toss the old CRT video monitor perched atop my Emco 5 CNC.
I want to replace it with a small flat-panel display.
So I am looking for a good deal on a surplus or refurb (i.e. cheap) flat
panel with RCA video input.
Can be monochrome, though I'd prefer color.
Can even be a small TV, or a DVD player if it as RCA video input.
I've done searches several ways but can't find anything so far.

Can anyone point me to a model, or a site, or maybe you have something
suitable to sell?

Post here or email me directly.

thanks
Rex

You can pull a LCD screen from a junked vehicle for pennies.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
RB wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
RB wrote:
You know, I have an old Toshiba notebook computer that mostly works....

How much time & money do you want to spend to try to convert NTSC to
a proprietary interface? This comes up quite often on the electronics
newsgroups.

Not much of either. There was a time I'd have tinkered with this, but no
longer have the patience for it.

Can you use the laptop as a terminal to control your CNC? Lots of
free terminal software out there, like Terra Term.

I considered that, but it's become a bit flakey from age and storage.
I'll take a look at Terra Term though, thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Apr 2, 5:19 pm, RB wrote:
Hey guys
I want to toss the old CRT video monitor perched atop my Emco 5 CNC.
I want to replace it with a small flat-panel display.
So I am looking for a good deal on a surplus or refurb (i.e. cheap) flat
panel with RCA video input.
Can be monochrome, though I'd prefer color.
Can even be a small TV, or a DVD player if it as RCA video input.
I've done searches several ways but can't find anything so far.

Can anyone point me to a model, or a site, or maybe you have something
suitable to sell?

Post here or email me directly.

thanks
Rex

You can pull a LCD screen from a junked vehicle for pennies.

I'd need a RCA input and a power supply. The latter would be easy, but
I'm not enough of an EE to convert the input.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-07, RB wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[ ... ]

Can you use the laptop as a terminal to control your CNC? Lots of
free terminal software out there, like Terra Term.

I considered that, but it's become a bit flakey from age and storage.
I'll take a look at Terra Term though, thanks

IIRC, the name is "Tera Term" not "Terra Term". (Single 'r')
Might make a difference in a web search for it.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-07, RB wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[ ... ]

Can you use the laptop as a terminal to control your CNC? Lots of
free terminal software out there, like Terra Term.

I considered that, but it's become a bit flakey from age and storage.
I'll take a look at Terra Term though, thanks

IIRC, the name is "Tera Term" not "Terra Term". (Single 'r')
Might make a difference in a web search for it.

I find it with both terms, but get more hits with a single 'r'. I
used it to program some VME cards in a Telemetry system eight years ago.

--
And another motherboard bites the dust!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
m:

IIRC, the name is "Tera Term" not "Terra Term". (Single

'r')
Might make a difference in a web search for it.

I find it with both terms, but get more hits with a single 'r'.

used it to program some VME cards in a Telemetry system eight years

ago.

I didn't catch which OS you're running on the laptop, but if it's
winblows... Hyperterm works fine as a basic rs232 terminal. I think I
recall it's either an ADM3A or vt100 emulation.

It comes free with every windows version at least up to XP, and is
found under Accessories:Communications

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
m:

IIRC, the name is "Tera Term" not "Terra Term". (Single

'r')
Might make a difference in a web search for it.

I find it with both terms, but get more hits with a single 'r'.

used it to program some VME cards in a Telemetry system eight years

ago.

I didn't catch which OS you're running on the laptop, but if it's
winblows... Hyperterm works fine as a basic rs232 terminal. I think I
recall it's either an ADM3A or vt100 emulation.

It comes free with every windows version at least up to XP, and is
found under Accessories:Communications

Yep, I've used Hyperterm, and also terminal.
currently using Procomm on this box.

I'm sure I still have a DOS version of Procomm.

But a terminal emulator won't solve my need here. the comuter is a basic
(Z80?) unit built in to the lathe chassis. You program it with a
keyboard on the back panel.
Simple text display, press 'Run'.
So I need a simple monitor, not a terminal emulator.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-08, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

IIRC, the name is "Tera Term" not "Terra Term". (Single 'r')
Might make a difference in a web search for it.

I find it with both terms, but get more hits with a single 'r'.

Probably because it is fairly common to misspell it to match the
Latin name of our planet. :-)

used it to program some VME cards in a Telemetry system eight years ago.

O.K. I set up a friend with it quite a few years ago so he
could access my systems via ssh from a Windows box.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RB fired this volley in news:grit84$ujr$1
@nntp.motzarella.org:

So I need a simple monitor, not a terminal emulator.

So? You use it. It won't do any "terminal emulation stuff" unless
the received stream contains control sequences to do cursor positions,
clear screens, etc.

Otherwise, it's just a dumb glass teletype.

I use it all the time for just that. I have a Z80 box I built that
runs a dipping machine. It talks "dumb teletype", and Hyperterm works
just fine with it.

Remember, EVEN an old ASR-33 teletype responded to certain control
sequences. There never really has been anything you could call "just
a simple monitor" -- it's how they are used that determines that.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Some early home computer monitors were completely dumb, as they only had a
composite video input. So the only signals over a single coaxial 75 ohm
cable were the sync signals and the video information.

Maybe early Apple, that Shack store and Commodore monitors were plain
composite video. The output cable from those early home computers ould be
connected to a Video In RCA jack on a TV that had the connector, or a
video-only (no TV tuner) monitor.

Some of the B&W/mono, green or amber CRT dumb terminals were capable of
displaying composite video signals if the user knew which pins in the signal
cable (DB-9 or other) to use for the plain video signal.
IIRC, the sync leads needed to be tied to the video signal and attached to a
RCA connector. The only place I can remember that had the pins/signals info
is the excellent science.electronics.repair FAQ.

None of this is really pertinent, since the OP was hoping to find a small
LCD display instead of a CRT video monitor. If he had one of the old CRT
monitors, they might suffice until he locates an LCD, but I would assume
that most of the old CRT displays are likely to be faulty by now.

--
WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

. 3.70...
RB fired this volley in news:grit84$ujr$1
@nntp.motzarella.org:

So I need a simple monitor, not a terminal emulator.

So? You use it. It won't do any "terminal emulation stuff" unless
the received stream contains control sequences to do cursor positions,
clear screens, etc.

Otherwise, it's just a dumb glass teletype.

I use it all the time for just that. I have a Z80 box I built that
runs a dipping machine. It talks "dumb teletype", and Hyperterm works
just fine with it.

Remember, EVEN an old ASR-33 teletype responded to certain control
sequences. There never really has been anything you could call "just
a simple monitor" -- it's how they are used that determines that.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wild_Bill" fired this volley in
:

None of this is really pertinent, since the OP was hoping to find a
small LCD display instead of a CRT video monitor.

yeah, I read that. But the rest of the thread and the OP's responses
seemed to indicate a mis-use of the term "monitor" to mean a dumb
glass teletype with an LCD screen.

If he just wants a monitor, why hell, he can buy any one of the cheap
LCD "HD" format TVs with VGA input or low-end LCD computer monitors,
and one of several "sync and luminance to VGA or composite" converters
or kits of same. It's not necessarily a "pretty" solution, but cheap
and workable.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-08, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
RB fired this volley in news:grit84$ujr$1
@nntp.motzarella.org:

So I need a simple monitor, not a terminal emulator.

So? You use it. It won't do any "terminal emulation stuff" unless
the received stream contains control sequences to do cursor positions,
clear screens, etc.

Otherwise, it's just a dumb glass teletype.

I use it all the time for just that. I have a Z80 box I built that
runs a dipping machine. It talks "dumb teletype", and Hyperterm works
just fine with it.

Remember, EVEN an old ASR-33 teletype responded to certain control
sequences. There never really has been anything you could call "just
a simple monitor" -- it's how they are used that determines that.

Well ... that depends. There are monitors which are just plain
video input on a coax connector -- TV style monitors, not computer
monitors. I have a small CNC lathe (Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC) which has
both a serial port (which can be connected to a computer, a terminal, or
a paper tape punch and reader), and a video connection which can be only
connected to a plain video monitor -- *not* a computer monitor.

And only the video port on that machine is useful for seeing
what the programs current state is, and for editing the program. The
serial port is designed only for saving programs (the alternative is a
strange tiny cassette tape drive) or for loading saved programs -- not
for interaction with a terminal. This either a computer (running the
right program) or the paper tape punch and reader are the things which
make sense to connect to this port.

And (FWIW), it has a 6502 as the CPU -- about the same vintage
as the Z80. :-)

Now -- there are LCD monitors which can either do some
resolutions of computer interface, or be connected to a coax video feed.
I've seen them in the local bank, connected to a switch which
automatically cycles through all of the cameras in the bank. (This is a
new branch, which is probably why it has the LCD monitors instead of the
old CRT ones. I wrote down the model number and maker (I could get to
the back to get these) and then looked them up on the web when I got
home. The maximum resolution was not high enough to make it attractive
for use with my computer, otherwise I would have gotten one to switch
between the computer and a camera which I plan to set up to watch the
front door. (Oh yes -- also the price was significantly higher than I
would have liked -- probably because it was being sold as a "security
system monitor". :-)

A small LCD TV would have given the same functionality -- and
been a lot more affordable. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-09, Wild_Bill wrote:

[ ... ]

None of this is really pertinent, since the OP was hoping to find a small
LCD display instead of a CRT video monitor. If he had one of the old CRT
monitors, they might suffice until he locates an LCD, but I would assume
that most of the old CRT displays are likely to be faulty by now.

Not all. I have a Commodore color one, and a smaller B&W which
is currently connected to my Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC (which needs plain
video, not a computer monitor). The Commodore monitor came from a
hamfest -- free a few years ago. The little B&W monitor from freecycle
(not sure how widespread that is -- a system which allows people to
offer things locally free for pickup instead of having to discard them
totally.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I meant that none of my comments (not others'), WRT old CRT monitors, were
pertinent to his inquiry.

There don't seem to be a lot of cheap (depending upon one's definition) new
LCD TVs, PC or just composite monitors.. not that I've seen (except used
ones and ones that are dead).

I've been looking at local stores and on eBay, for a small (10-12" or 15")
LCD composite video input monitor or a dual-purpose video/PC LCD, but not a
widescreen (so the composite video doesn't get stretched) and they aren't
plentiful in my experience, or they cost as much as the larger widescreen
models ($200+).

I haven't used any of the scan converters, mainly because I'd have to buy
them just to find out if they produced a good image with no stretching or
shrinking involved.

--
WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

. 3.70...
"Wild_Bill" fired this volley in
:

None of this is really pertinent, since the OP was hoping to find a
small LCD display instead of a CRT video monitor.

yeah, I read that. But the rest of the thread and the OP's responses
seemed to indicate a mis-use of the term "monitor" to mean a dumb
glass teletype with an LCD screen.

If he just wants a monitor, why hell, he can buy any one of the cheap
LCD "HD" format TVs with VGA input or low-end LCD computer monitors,
and one of several "sync and luminance to VGA or composite" converters
or kits of same. It's not necessarily a "pretty" solution, but cheap
and workable.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
m:

IIRC, the name is "Tera Term" not "Terra Term". (Single

'r')
Might make a difference in a web search for it.

I find it with both terms, but get more hits with a single 'r'.

used it to program some VME cards in a Telemetry system eight years

ago.

I didn't catch which OS you're running on the laptop, but if it's
winblows... Hyperterm works fine as a basic rs232 terminal. I think I
recall it's either an ADM3A or vt100 emulation.

It comes free with every windows version at least up to XP, and is
found under Accessories:Communications

I had to use Tera Term because hyperterm was so flaky. There were
multiple versions in different versions of windows, and the included
version is incomplete. Our IT department tested a lot of terminal
programs to let people use the PC on their desk access the mainframe.
Hyperterm was among the worst. Tera Term was the most reliable. We
went through at least half a dozen terminal programs in the test
department before choosing the same program.

--
And another motherboard bites the dust!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-08, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

[ ... ]

IIRC, the name is "Tera Term" not "Terra Term". (Single 'r')
Might make a difference in a web search for it.

I find it with both terms, but get more hits with a single 'r'.

Probably because it is fairly common to misspell it to match the
Latin name of our planet. :-)

That, and the fact that I hadn't used it since 2000.

used it to program some VME cards in a Telemetry system eight years ago.

O.K. I set up a friend with it quite a few years ago so he
could access my systems via ssh from a Windows box.

I used it, till we finally got the programmers off their lazy asses
long enough to finish writing the software to program the boards through
their BDM ports. That took it from a full day of using four different
methods, to under five minutes per board.

--
And another motherboard bites the dust!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
Some early home computer monitors were completely dumb, as they only had
a composite video input. So the only signals over a single coaxial 75
ohm cable were the sync signals and the video information.

Maybe early Apple, that Shack store and Commodore monitors were plain
composite video. The output cable from those early home computers ould
be connected to a Video In RCA jack on a TV that had the connector, or a
video-only (no TV tuner) monitor.

That's exactly what I have, and it appears to be the original equipment
on this Emco 5 CNC lathe

Some of the B&W/mono, green or amber CRT dumb terminals were capable of
displaying composite video signals if the user knew which pins in the
signal cable (DB-9 or other) to use for the plain video signal.
IIRC, the sync leads needed to be tied to the video signal and attached
to a RCA connector. The only place I can remember that had the
pins/signals info is the excellent science.electronics.repair FAQ.

None of this is really pertinent, since the OP was hoping to find a
small LCD display instead of a CRT video monitor. If he had one of the
old CRT monitors, they might suffice until he locates an LCD, but I
would assume that most of the old CRT displays are likely to be faulty
by now.

This one works fine, but it looks cheap and clunky perched atop the
control panel. I just want to modernize it and reduce the top-heaviness
of the machine.

I guess the ideal would be one of those motorized LCDs that come in car
stereos now hmmmm.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
I meant that none of my comments (not others'), WRT old CRT monitors,
were pertinent to his inquiry.

There don't seem to be a lot of cheap (depending upon one's definition)
new LCD TVs, PC or just composite monitors.. not that I've seen (except
used ones and ones that are dead).

I've been looking at local stores and on eBay, for a small (10-12" or
15") LCD composite video input monitor or a dual-purpose video/PC LCD,
but not a widescreen (so the composite video doesn't get stretched) and
they aren't plentiful in my experience, or they cost as much as the
larger widescreen models ($200+).

I haven't used any of the scan converters, mainly because I'd have to
buy them just to find out if they produced a good image with no
stretching or shrinking involved.

In fact, that is exactly what I'm looking for.
And for the same machine Don Nichols has - Emco 5 CNC