Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Source for LCD monitor?

Some early home computer monitors were completely dumb, as they only had a
composite video input. So the only signals over a single coaxial 75 ohm
cable were the sync signals and the video information.

Maybe early Apple, that Shack store and Commodore monitors were plain
composite video. The output cable from those early home computers ould be
connected to a Video In RCA jack on a TV that had the connector, or a
video-only (no TV tuner) monitor.

Some of the B&W/mono, green or amber CRT dumb terminals were capable of
displaying composite video signals if the user knew which pins in the signal
cable (DB-9 or other) to use for the plain video signal.
IIRC, the sync leads needed to be tied to the video signal and attached to a
RCA connector. The only place I can remember that had the pins/signals info
is the excellent science.electronics.repair FAQ.

None of this is really pertinent, since the OP was hoping to find a small
LCD display instead of a CRT video monitor. If he had one of the old CRT
monitors, they might suffice until he locates an LCD, but I would assume
that most of the old CRT displays are likely to be faulty by now.

--
WB
metalworking projects

. 3.70...
RB fired this volley in news:grit84$ujr$1
@nntp.motzarella.org:

So I need a simple monitor, not a terminal emulator.

So? You use it. It won't do any "terminal emulation stuff" unless
the received stream contains control sequences to do cursor positions,
clear screens, etc.

Otherwise, it's just a dumb glass teletype.

I use it all the time for just that. I have a Z80 box I built that
runs a dipping machine. It talks "dumb teletype", and Hyperterm works
just fine with it.

Remember, EVEN an old ASR-33 teletype responded to certain control
sequences. There never really has been anything you could call "just
a simple monitor" -- it's how they are used that determines that.

LLoyd