Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Conflicker Worm

What's it going to be?

Y2K melodrama?

April Fools Day Joke?

Or

The End of the World?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conficker

http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...cker-worm.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...ome;topStories

As of 13 February 2009, Microsoft is offering a $250,000 USD reward for
information leading to the arrest and conviction of the individuals behind the
creation and/or distribution of Conficker
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That's Conficker, we'll find out tomorrow. Probably nothing special,
more spam mailing viruses. But it would be interesting to see a
worldwide meltdown.

On 2009-04-01, cavelamb wrote:
What's it going to be?

Y2K melodrama?

April Fools Day Joke?

Or

The End of the World?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conficker

http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...cker-worm.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...ome;topStories

As of 13 February 2009, Microsoft is offering a $250,000 USD reward for
information leading to the arrest and conviction of the individuals behind the
creation and/or distribution of Conficker

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:

Y2K melodrama?

Seems like it.

I'm running a smtp server, sshd server, irc server, ect on windows. AFAIKT, this box is
still mine.

I remember going into work every day during the y2k thing, sending a message to GM that we
are fine for about three days in a row until they sent a message saying, that I didn't
need to anymore. They wanted me to report for a lot longer but someone at GM figured out
that nothing interesting was happening and decided to let everyone enjoy the holidays.

Talk about hysteria, the seriously broken stuff, was identified and fixes were put in long
before Y2K.

Oh well, YAWN,

Wes
--

It is 100 times safer for your child to visit a home with a
gun in it than a swimming pool. Something to think about.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What I heard was it has been in the works for years.
It was first delivered to 'us' in 2000. It lights up
on April 1.

There are variants of it - the maker made a number of
them so it would be a mess to track them.

Martin

cavelamb wrote:
What's it going to be?

Y2K melodrama?

April Fools Day Joke?

Or

The End of the World?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conficker

http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...cker-worm.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...ome;topStories

As of 13 February 2009, Microsoft is offering a $250,000 USD reward for
information leading to the arrest and conviction of the individuals
behind the creation and/or distribution of Conficker

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 22:10:14 -0500, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"
scrawled the following:

What I heard was it has been in the works for years.
It was first delivered to 'us' in 2000. It lights up
on April 1.

There are variants of it - the maker made a number of
them so it would be a mess to track them.

As I walked in to get dressed this morning, I heard my computer reboot
and thought "This is not good." I wasn't in a lighted room so I don't
know if the power fluctuated, but the comp is on a UPS, so power
shouldn't have caused the reboot. Internet was out, but a reboot of
the modem fixed that.

I'm running Avast and hope I'm covered for Conflicker. We shall
see...

LJ--with all appendages crossed.

--
You can't do anything about the length of your life,
but you _can_ do something about its width and depth.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 22:10:14 -0500, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"
scrawled the following:

What I heard was it has been in the works for years.
It was first delivered to 'us' in 2000. It lights up
on April 1.

There are variants of it - the maker made a number of
them so it would be a mess to track them.

As I walked in to get dressed this morning, I heard my computer reboot
and thought "This is not good." I wasn't in a lighted room so I don't
know if the power fluctuated, but the comp is on a UPS, so power
shouldn't have caused the reboot. Internet was out, but a reboot of
the modem fixed that.

I'm running Avast and hope I'm covered for Conflicker. We shall
see...

LJ--with all appendages crossed.

Makes it hard to walk that way.

--
And another motherboard bites the dust!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message On Wed, 01 Apr 2009
[...]

Those Finnish kids were having some fun, again....heh heh
.......phil
http://www.usnews.com/blogs/washingt...s/2009/03/31/6
0-minutess-russian-cybercriminal-goof_print.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:
What's it going to be?

Y2K melodrama?

April Fools Day Joke?

Or

The End of the World?

One quick way to test if you are infected:

http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org...feyechart.html

If the picture look OK, you are probably OK.

technomaNge
--
Obama: Half white. Half black. All red.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:
What's it going to be?

Y2K melodrama?

April Fools Day Joke?

Or

The End of the World?

One quick way to test if you are infected:

http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org...feyechart.html

If the picture look OK, you are probably OK.

I don't have the worm, but in the process of checking & updating all of
Micro****s security patches, they broke my newsreader. If I try to mark
any articles as "read", it crashes the program. I use an ancient, small,
fast program called NewsXpress, which has served me very well for about
15 years. It is now nearly unusable.

I am ****ed.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug White wrote:

I don't have the worm, but in the process of checking & updating all of
Micro****s security patches, they broke my newsreader. If I try to mark
any articles as "read", it crashes the program. I use an ancient, small,
fast program called NewsXpress, which has served me very well for about
15 years. It is now nearly unusable.

I am ****ed.

Can't you set it to run in win 95 mode?

--
And another motherboard bites the dust!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug White wrote:

I don't have the worm, but in the process of checking & updating all of
Micro****s security patches, they broke my newsreader. If I try to mark
any articles as "read", it crashes the program. I use an ancient, small,
fast program called NewsXpress, which has served me very well for about
15 years. It is now nearly unusable.

I am ****ed.

Can't you set it to run in win 95 mode?

That doesn't help. I can't imagine what the "security patches" could
have done to it, but the only thing I did between 15 years of working
fine & its being busted was install a bunch of Micro**** updates Tuesday
night.

NewsX is supposed to be loosely based on newsXpress, and it's a lot more
recent, so I may finally have to switch.

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 20:02:56 -0500, the infamous technomaNge
scrawled the following:

cavelamb wrote:
What's it going to be?

Y2K melodrama?

April Fools Day Joke?

Or

The End of the World?

One quick way to test if you are infected:

http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org...feyechart.html

If the picture look OK, you are probably OK.

I was OK and the reboot was a fluke. Well, until I downloaded the
newest MS virus, IE8. It didn't quite load properly so my computer
wouldn't boot normally for a day and a half. I finally got it to boot,
downloaded the entire packet to my computer, and got it to load
properly. All appears well now. What a FPITA!

--
You can't do anything about the length of your life,
but you _can_ do something about its width and depth.
-- Evan Esar
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I was OK and the reboot was a fluke. Well, until I downloaded the
newest MS virus, IE8. It didn't quite load properly so my computer
wouldn't boot normally for a day and a half. I finally got it to boot,
downloaded the entire packet to my computer, and got it to load
properly. All appears well now. What a FPITA!

--
You can't do anything about the length of your life,
but you _can_ do something about its width and depth.
-- Evan Esar

LAA-AARY! Why you do such dumb ****?

Get thyself to mozilla!

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-04-05, cavelamb wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

I was OK and the reboot was a fluke. Well, until I downloaded the
newest MS virus, IE8. It didn't quite load properly so my computer
wouldn't boot normally for a day and a half. I finally got it to boot,
downloaded the entire packet to my computer, and got it to load
properly. All appears well now. What a FPITA!

LAA-AARY! Why you do such dumb ****?

Get thyself to mozilla!

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

Also try Google Chrome. It is a great browser in very many respects,
very fast, secure and robust. I like it and use it from time to time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 00:25:00 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus9925
scrawled the following:

On 2009-04-05, cavelamb wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

I was OK and the reboot was a fluke. Well, until I downloaded the
newest MS virus, IE8. It didn't quite load properly so my computer
wouldn't boot normally for a day and a half. I finally got it to boot,
downloaded the entire packet to my computer, and got it to load
properly. All appears well now. What a FPITA!

LAA-AARY! Why you do such dumb ****?

(seen only because Ig quoted it)

Get thyself to mozilla!

I did, very early on. I use_d_ Firefox for most things and IE only for
Netflix while their viewer would work only under IE. Now that the new
viewer is supported by Firefox, I had moved over until the newest
versions of Firefox (from 3.0.7) developed memory leaks, damnear
halting my computer if Firefox was left on for more than an hour, with
Windows screaming about losing system memory. sigh

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

I use Forte Agent for news and MS Outleak Express for email. Both are
very good at what they do. I think it may be Micro$oft's only good
program _ever_!

Also try Google Chrome. It is a great browser in very many respects,
very fast, secure and robust. I like it and use it from time to time.

I'll check it out, Ig.

--
You can't do anything about the length of your life,
but you _can_ do something about its width and depth.
-- Evan Esar

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 05:31:47 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I use Forte Agent for news and MS Outleak Express for email. Both are
very good at what they do. I think it may be Micro$oft's only good
program _ever_!

Curious, what don't you like about Agent for email?

regards
Mark Rand (gave up on Outleak after I looked at an email and it ran a .com
file included in said email...)
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I use Forte Agent for news and MS Outleak Express for email. Both are
very good at what they do. I think it may be Micro$oft's only good
program _ever_!

Curious, what don't you like about Agent for email?

regards
Mark Rand (gave up on Outleak after I looked at an email and it ran a .com
file included in said email...)
RTFM

I have been using Yahoo Mail for a while now because of their spam
trap.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 21:17:55 +0100, the infamous Mark Rand
scrawled the following:

wrote:

I use Forte Agent for news and MS Outleak Express for email. Both are
very good at what they do. I think it may be Micro$oft's only good
program _ever_!

Curious, what don't you like about Agent for email?

I believe that Agent was strictly a news reader when I started using
it. I didn't want to have to search two different programs for client
mail so I stuck with Outleak, a perfectly good program. Micro$oft's
ONLY decent program, IIRC.

--
You can't do anything about the length of your life,
but you _can_ do something about its width and depth.
-- Evan Esar
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 19:07:15 -0500, the infamous "Phil Kangas"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message On Wed, 01 Apr 2009
22:10:14 -0500, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"
scrawled the following:

What I heard was it has been in the works for years.
It was first delivered to 'us' in 2000. It lights up
on April 1.

I'm running Avast and hope I'm covered for Conflicker. We

shall
see...

LJ--with all appendages crossed.

Those Finnish kids were having some fun, again....heh heh
......phil
http://www.usnews.com/blogs/washingt...s/2009/03/31/6
0-minutess-russian-cybercriminal-goof_print.htm

Had you set your URL in between GT/LT brackets, it wouldn't have
broken like that.

You'd think that with the money they pay these media jerks, they'd at
least try to check out stories before they air them, huh? Dan Rather
learned that the hard way recently.

Back to the computer:

We had a couple of 1 and 2 second power outages yesterday afternoon,
during some high winds. Damn if I didn't find a faulty UPS during
them. It had worked fine last week but the comp booted twice in ten
minutes when those flickers hit yesterday. I took the UPS off the
stereo and moved it to the comp. The only casualty was the load of
messages I had just DLed for this newsgroup. 48 turned into 300 when I
had to recover deleted messages in Agent. That old UPS was nearly
brand new, too. I got it, um, just 15 or so years ago and put a new
battery in it just 5 years ago.

Oh, well. Time to go find another one...

--
I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life
which are the real ones after all. --Laura Ingalls Wilder (1867-1957)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Conflicker Worm - revisited?

It looks like it's waking up slowly...