Bruno

Default What might this worm gear fit?

I have a 40 tooth Boston worm gear and a couple worms. Would anyone
know what machine(s) they might fit?

http://home.pacbell.net/brunoh//tools/BG1.jpg

Thanks,
-Bruno
Bob May

Where do you want 40:1 reduction of the speed of a shaft? The size of the
gear will, of course, determine the amount of power that can be delivered by
the size gear.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Bruno wrote:
I have a 40 tooth Boston worm gear and a couple worms. Would anyone
know what machine(s) they might fit?

http://home.pacbell.net/brunoh//tools/BG1.jpg

Well ... the 40:1 ratio is a common one found in index/dividing
heads, so if you want to make an very good one, that might be an
excellent starting point. Most people who want to build their own
dividing head are scared off by the prices from Boston Gear.

What is the OD of the big gear, and the ID as well? It might
have to be bored out a bit to allow a reasonable spindle to pass through
it.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Bruno

(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

In article ,
Bruno wrote:
I have a 40 tooth Boston worm gear and a couple worms. Would anyone
know what machine(s) they might fit?

http://home.pacbell.net/brunoh//tools/BG1.jpg

Well ... the 40:1 ratio is a common one found in index/dividing
heads, so if you want to make an very good one, that might be an
excellent starting point. Most people who want to build their own
dividing head are scared off by the prices from Boston Gear.

I'd thought that making a dividing head with it would be an
interesting project (for sometime in the unforseeable future), but
also that if someone had a machine down for want of this gear it might
find a better use.

What is the OD of the big gear, and the ID as well? It might
have to be bored out a bit to allow a reasonable spindle to pass through
it.

OD is 4 1/2", and 7/8" thick. ID is 3/4" with 1/8"x3/16" keyway.

Enjoy,
DoN.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Bruno wrote:
(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

In article ,
Bruno wrote:
I have a 40 tooth Boston worm gear and a couple worms. Would anyone
know what machine(s) they might fit?

http://home.pacbell.net/brunoh//tools/BG1.jpg

Well ... the 40:1 ratio is a common one found in index/dividing
heads, so if you want to make an very good one, that might be an
excellent starting point. Most people who want to build their own
dividing head are scared off by the prices from Boston Gear.

I'd thought that making a dividing head with it would be an
interesting project (for sometime in the unforseeable future), but
also that if someone had a machine down for want of this gear it might
find a better use.

A kind thought.

What is the OD of the big gear, and the ID as well? It might
have to be bored out a bit to allow a reasonable spindle to pass through
it.

OD is 4 1/2", and 7/8" thick. ID is 3/4" with 1/8"x3/16" keyway.

O.K. The size is reasonable for a nice dividing head, but the
bore is too small. That size dividing head would probably want a
spindle which could mount something like a #3 Morse Taper -- or a
similar sized B&S (I think that is a B&S #9). If making from scratch, I
would suggest going for the Morse taper -- or perhaps making it to fit a
common collet size. Make the spindle with a external thread to mount a
common chuck size as well.

You *would* have to bore the gear and cut a new keyway to fit
any of these spindle options -- but it looks as though there is a lot of
meat in the hub.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564