Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default For Sale or Trade: 8" Super Index horizontal/vertical rotary table (with 3-jaw chuck) for milling machine

Carla Fong wrote:

Hi everyone - A while ago we purchased an 8" super index for our milling
machine that turns out to be way too big for us, now that I try to heft
it onto the mill. You can see the details of one of these at Enco part
number 202-3030,
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=953904&PMAKA=202-3030
(although we got ours from J&L, it looks like it came from the same
general place as the Enco version.

That would use most of the envelope under my bridgeport. I have a 12" RT that I call my
uncle for help lifting. A hydraulic cart to slide these things onto the table is on my
agenda. Us older guys are not going to risk that magic pop in our backs if we are smart.
I'd check harbor freight for a cart to get it in place if your index works under your
envelope.

Carla

If the professor on Gilligan's Island can make a radio out of a coconut,
why can't he fix a hole in a boat?

It is sorta like asking mom and dad why Santa doesn't visit poor people.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

erik litchy wrote:

i would feel safer using a small overhead hoist than a table like that.

I'd rather slide than lift.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

erik litchy wrote:

i would feel safer using a small overhead hoist than a table like that.

I'd rather slide than lift.

To load my ~200# 10" tilting RT onto my Bridgeport I normally use either
an engine hoist or my forklift, whichever is closer, or on the odd
occasion I actually have someone working with me, two people can lift it
just fine.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Carla Fong wrote:

That would use most of the envelope under my bridgeport. *I have a 12" RT that I call my
uncle for help lifting. *A hydraulic cart to slide these things onto the table is on my
agenda. *Us older guys are not going to risk that magic pop in our backs if we are smart.
I'd check harbor freight for a cart to get it in place if your index works under your
envelope.

Carla

Long ago my back told me that all the second-hand lifts I could buy
would cost less than one trip to the emergency room.

A platform lift (stacker) similar to this has been the most useful:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...2354_200342354
It drops lower than a scissors table so heavy things are easier to
slide onto it.

You can hang loads under the table like a crane, but it's unstable if
they swing. They are fine as is on hard floors. I use mine outdoors
and so modified it with larger stainless steel wheels:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/Wheels#

Jim Wilkins

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:

A platform lift (stacker) similar to this has been the most useful:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...2354_200342354
It drops lower than a scissors table so heavy things are easier to
slide onto it.

That is an awesomely useful tool. I've changed small dies, small assembly presses, and
tooling details with those. Too often I grab an elevator table when this fine machine
would do the job as well or better.

WEs
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 31, 6:12*pm, Wes wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
A platform lift (stacker) .....

That is an awesomely useful tool. *I've changed small dies, small assembly presses, and
tooling details with those. *Too often I grab an elevator table when this fine machine
would do the job as well or better.
WEs

Unfortunately not an awesomely affordable tool.

Mine cost $10, plus about $50 for rebuilding. I haven't seen one that
actually works sell at an auction for under $125.

I ordered a crank-up Vestil from Northern when I was at Segway to lift
them up to benchtop height. It worked well and didn't leak oil on the
lab floor, of course, but the ratchet mechanism was louder than the
whole production line.

Jim Wilkins