Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

Default Milling on the lathe Vertical tslot table or vertical milling vise?

1. Before anyone even starts a REAL milling machine is in the works but
the 2 demons of all workshops are working against it Money and
Especially space so until the new workshop is built i have a lathe and
room for it but NOT a mill or even a Mill/Drill asian thingy

I know this is aimed mainly at the hobby people because most sane people
would used a vertical mill for vertical milling and a lathe for turning.
As i said though the time and Space demons are on me so to me it makes
more sense to be able to do some limited milling in a lathe than to do
nothing waiting for the mill

Has anyone used the Palmgren vertical vise miling attachment or a myford
vertical table? which would be the most versatile to serve until i could
get a proper milling machine?

Any help is appreciated
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clark Magnuson

I have done lathe work on the vertical mill
Just put the work in the collet, and the lathe bit in the vice.

--
Accidental creation should not be taught as a fact.
Intelligent creation should not be banned from teachings as

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My first metalworking investment was a PRAZI lathe with the milling
attachment. Used it for several years before advanced to an EMCO lathe
with milling head, then a mill/drill.

The lathe/mill adapter is very limited in how big a part it can mill.
Also, not very rigid. But it does get you going. Since both of the
attachments you ask about attach to the cross slide on your lathe, you
can determine the maximum length of a pass you can make.

How do you intend to hold the end-mill? Do you have a collet setup for
the lathe? If you are going to use small end-mills, the maximum speed
of the lathe may be a little slow.

Good luck! Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco

I've only done a couple of milling projects in my Atlas 10F lathe, but
it sure can be done. My lathe has the Atlas milling vise, which, I
think, is similar to the palmgren. Don't plan on any heavy cuts.
IMHO you HAVE to have a collet setup for the milling cutters, though.
HSM has had several articles over the years where the author has done
milling in the lathe. I was always jealous of Myford owners with that
t-slot compound, too.

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------------

Brent Philion wrote:

1. Before anyone even starts a REAL milling machine is in the works but
the 2 demons of all workshops are working against it Money and
Especially space so until the new workshop is built i have a lathe and
room for it but NOT a mill or even a Mill/Drill asian thingy

I know this is aimed mainly at the hobby people because most sane people
would used a vertical mill for vertical milling and a lathe for turning.
As i said though the time and Space demons are on me so to me it makes
more sense to be able to do some limited milling in a lathe than to do
nothing waiting for the mill

Has anyone used the Palmgren vertical vise miling attachment or a myford
vertical table? which would be the most versatile to serve until i could
get a proper milling machine?

Any help is appreciated

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:34:20 -0500, Brent Philion
wrote:

1. Before anyone even starts a REAL milling machine is in the works but
the 2 demons of all workshops are working against it Money and
Especially space so until the new workshop is built i have a lathe and
room for it but NOT a mill or even a Mill/Drill asian thingy

I know this is aimed mainly at the hobby people because most sane people
would used a vertical mill for vertical milling and a lathe for turning.
As i said though the time and Space demons are on me so to me it makes
more sense to be able to do some limited milling in a lathe than to do
nothing waiting for the mill

Has anyone used the Palmgren vertical vise miling attachment or a myford
vertical table? which would be the most versatile to serve until i could
get a proper milling machine?

Any help is appreciated

========================
First thing to do is to buy and read:

Milling Operations in the Lathe (Workshop Practice)
Tubal Cain
Milling Operations in the Lathe (Workshop Practice)
Publisher: learn how customers can search inside this book.
List Price: £6.95
Our Price: £5.56 & eligible for Free UK delivery on orders over
£15 with Super Saver Delivery. See details & conditions.
You Save: £1.39 (20%)
Powell's in the US generally has this in stock see
http://www.powells.com/

second thing to do is to order one or more morse taper end mill
adapters to fit your lathe. You can use a piece of "allthread"
as a drawbar. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ATTEMPT TO USE A JACOBS
TYPE DRILL CHUCK WITH OUR WITHOUT A DRAWBAR. You can also make a
adapter to go on your face plate from a piece of 1 inch thick
plate or bar.

Third thing is to *NEVER* attempt to climb cut [where the endmill
tends to pull the part into the cut.] Even the best lathes have
far too much backlash to do this.

Forth thing is to keep telling your self "its not a mill ... its
not a mill..." and take light cuts.

Much high quality work has been done with a lathe adopted as a
milling machine. It is not as convieient or fast.

The Palmgren vice allows easy vertical adjustment. I have never
used the Myford vertical table, but this may be more rigid.

See http://www.mcduffee-associates.us/ma...theMilling.htm
to see how we adopted a surplus compound slide for vertical
adjustment to lathe milling. You may well be able to do the same
thing with your Myford compound. Just make sure everything is
rigid.

Uncle George

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to spaco :
I've only done a couple of milling projects in my Atlas 10F lathe, but
it sure can be done. My lathe has the Atlas milling vise, which, I
think, is similar to the palmgren. Don't plan on any heavy cuts.
IMHO you HAVE to have a collet setup for the milling cutters, though.

Hmm ... consider the possibility of using a Morse Taper end mill
holder which matches the spindle nose, and making a drawbar to hold it
firmly in place. (For that matter, A Morse Taper collet could be used
as well.

HSM has had several articles over the years where the author has done
milling in the lathe. I was always jealous of Myford owners with that
t-slot compound, too.

Hmm ... check with MLA for their casting kit for a T-slotted
cross-slide for a South Bend. It may be the right dimensions to be
machined to fit the Atlas as well. I considered that for my 12x24"
Clausing, but the casting was just a bit too small for that one.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

I dont have a collet setup yet its in the "to get" list along with the 4 jaw

the lathe needs a tooling update since most of it is 50 years old and i
will gradually deal with it and i want to swap out the old lanterns
style toolpost for a quick change and so on

I think caution and milling SLOWLY and carefully will counteract some of
the lack of rigidity
but by the same token i know its a tradeoff i'm making until i can
afford a real milling machine

but the question is am i better off with a vertical slide table and a
T-slot clamping kit a la myford

or a vertical slide milling vise

http://www.palmgren.com/palmgren/p-m...ttachment.html

I know there are guys in this forum just WINCING seeing me look at these
piddly things compared to a real mill

wrote:
My first metalworking investment was a PRAZI lathe with the milling
attachment. Used it for several years before advanced to an EMCO lathe
with milling head, then a mill/drill.

The lathe/mill adapter is very limited in how big a part it can mill.
Also, not very rigid. But it does get you going. Since both of the
attachments you ask about attach to the cross slide on your lathe, you
can determine the maximum length of a pass you can make.

How do you intend to hold the end-mill? Do you have a collet setup for
the lathe? If you are going to use small end-mills, the maximum speed
of the lathe may be a little slow.

Good luck! Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

Atlas actually had one that they made too?

I actually have a 10F that i'm using for this

as far as i can see i CAN buy a Myford slide and make it work on the 10F
compound with minimal adapting

but you think it would be superior to a vise arrangement?

Brent Philion wrote:

1. Before anyone even starts a REAL milling machine is in the works
but the 2 demons of all workshops are working against it Money and
Especially space so until the new workshop is built i have a lathe and
room for it but NOT a mill or even a Mill/Drill asian thingy

I know this is aimed mainly at the hobby people because most sane
people would used a vertical mill for vertical milling and a lathe for
turning. As i said though the time and Space demons are on me so to me
it makes more sense to be able to do some limited milling in a lathe
than to do nothing waiting for the mill

Has anyone used the Palmgren vertical vise miling attachment or a
myford vertical table? which would be the most versatile to serve
until i could get a proper milling machine?

Any help is appreciated

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

snip
Hmm ... consider the possibility of using a Morse Taper end mill
holder which matches the spindle nose, and making a drawbar to hold it
firmly in place. (For that matter, A Morse Taper collet could be used
as well.

snip
A morse taper collet is certainly usable but because you most
likely will be changing mill cutters several times in any
project, it will be much easier to use a end mill holder as this
will require only the use of a allen [hex] key from the front of
the spindle.

A morse taper collet must be have the draw bar slackened, tapped
forward in the spindle, the end mill changed, and retightened.
This gets old very quickly and there can be a tendency of the
endmill to shift in/out of the collet.

For typical home shop machining you will only need one or
possibly two holders 3/8 and 1/2 inch.

Uncle George
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

SNIP
Any help is appreciated

========================
First thing to do is to buy and read:

Milling Operations in the Lathe (Workshop Practice)
Tubal Cain
Milling Operations in the Lathe (Workshop Practice)
Publisher: learn how customers can search inside this book.
List Price: £6.95
Our Price: £5.56 & eligible for Free UK delivery on orders over
£15 with Super Saver Delivery. See details & conditions.
You Save: £1.39 (20%)
Powell's in the US generally has this in stock see
http://www.powells.com/

I already own the book and a few more in the series (workholding as an
example)

Busybee tools carries them in canada

second thing to do is to order one or more morse taper end mill
adapters to fit your lathe. You can use a piece of "allthread"
as a drawbar. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ATTEMPT TO USE A JACOBS
TYPE DRILL CHUCK WITH OUR WITHOUT A DRAWBAR. You can also make a
adapter to go on your face plate from a piece of 1 inch thick
plate or bar.

Endmill holder has gone from the "would be nice" pile to the necessary
pile in my tooling update

Third thing is to *NEVER* attempt to climb cut [where the endmill
tends to pull the part into the cut.] Even the best lathes have
far too much backlash to do this.

Every book i've ever seen says not to do this on anythign short of a
giant production machine a lathe is not a giant production mill

Forth thing is to keep telling your self "its not a mill ... its
not a mill..." and take light cuts.

Can I say "it makes me want to buy the mill faster" instead =)

I only intend to use lathe milling until i can resolve my time and space
issues and get a real mill and working area

Much high quality work has been done with a lathe adopted as a
milling machine. It is not as convieient or fast.

The Palmgren vice allows easy vertical adjustment. I have never
used the Myford vertical table, but this may be more rigid.

See http://www.mcduffee-associates.us/ma...theMilling.htm
to see how we adopted a surplus compound slide for vertical
adjustment to lathe milling. You may well be able to do the same
thing with your Myford compound. Just make sure everything is
rigid.

Uncle George

Even with the section incomplete your website is amazing and has been
bookmarked as i am an electronics telecom person entering into craft
machining

Thanks very much

Brent Philion
Ottawa Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

DoN. Nichols wrote:
Hmm ... check with MLA for their casting kit for a T-slotted
cross-slide for a South Bend. It may be the right dimensions to be
machined to fit the Atlas as well.

They offer one made for the Atlas.

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/A-11.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

spaco wrote:
Thank you for this information. It will go on my gift list.

Pete Stanaitis

So now that I take another look at this, why could you not just use a
chunk of steel and machine it to the dimensions on the drawing, to fit
your crossslide? Is it really that advantageous to use an iron casting?

Rex

Rex B wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:

Hmm ... check with MLA for their casting kit for a T-slotted
cross-slide for a South Bend. It may be the right dimensions to be
machined to fit the Atlas as well.

They offer one made for the Atlas.

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/A-11.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Rex B "":

spaco wrote:
Thank you for this information. It will go on my gift list.

("It" being the MLA cross-slide casting.)

Pete Stanaitis

So now that I take another look at this, why could you not just use a
chunk of steel and machine it to the dimensions on the drawing, to fit
your crossslide? Is it really that advantageous to use an iron casting?

Yes. The reasons which come to mind a

1) Since the casting is close to final size and shape, there is
less metal to machine away, and thus less waste.

You'll need to borrow time on somebody's milling machine if you
don't already have one -- and given the reason for the T-slotted
cross-slide, it would seem apparent that you don't have one. I
don't think that you have enough travel on the existing
cross-slide to get away with milling it in the lathe.

2) Cast iron tends to absorb vibration a lot better than steel
does, so you have less contribution to chatter.

3) Cast iron on cast iron dovetails will wear better that steel on
steel will.

4) I think that it will be easier to mill the T-slots in cast iron
than in steel. (That said, I've milled a circular T-slot in a
6" diameter chunk of 12L14 -- probably the nicest machining
steel readily available.)

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

Maybe things have changed, but as of a couple of years ago MLA didn't have
any of the Atlas T--slotted cross-slides for sale. Check first before
getting your hopes up.

Mike

Rex B wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

Hmm ... check with MLA for their casting kit for a T-slotted
cross-slide for a South Bend. It may be the right dimensions to be
machined to fit the Atlas as well.

They offer one made for the Atlas.

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/A-11.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

It looks like there is one there meant for the atlas but they make you
buy the atlas table then the base and the milling slide instead of the
southbend where the base is optional

Though i'd love to have a second set of eyes confirm that

Rex B wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:

Hmm ... check with MLA for their casting kit for a T-slotted
cross-slide for a South Bend. It may be the right dimensions to be
machined to fit the Atlas as well.

They offer one made for the Atlas.

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/A-11.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

I didn't explain that very well. I meant that even though the table was
listed on the MLA web site, they hadn't been able to get any castings the
last time I checked. Things may well be different now as that was at least
two years ago.

Mike

. ..

Rex B wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:

Hmm ... check with MLA for their casting kit for a T-slotted
cross-slide for a South Bend. It may be the right dimensions to be
machined to fit the Atlas as well.

They offer one made for the Atlas.

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/A-11.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

It looks like they have all the appropriate parts now but i dont trust
my eyes to confirm

If the T-Slot cross slide and purpose milling slide are ready then it
seems liek ti would be a much better thrid option

option 1 was to shoehorn a myford mlling attachment onto the top of my
compound (Not rigid at all really)

Option 2 was to attach a palmgren horizontal vice to the toolpost on the
same compound

this creates option 3 and seems to be the most solid and rigid solution
to my problem as it seems to be purpose built for the Atlas rather than
a shoehorning

as such i'm calling MLA in the morning as well

Brent

Rex B wrote:

DoN. Nichols wrote:

Hmm ... check with MLA for their casting kit for a T-slotted
cross-slide for a South Bend. It may be the right dimensions to be
machined to fit the Atlas as well.

They offer one made for the Atlas.

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/A-11.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

========================
The Palmgren vice allows easy vertical adjustment. I have never
used the Myford vertical table, but this may be more rigid.
See http://www.mcduffee-associates.us/ma...theMilling.htm
to see how we adopted a surplus compound slide for vertical
adjustment to lathe milling. You may well be able to do the same
thing with your Myford compound. Just make sure everything is
rigid.

Uncle George

I don't understand the page with the boring head.
http://www.mcduffee-associates.us/ma...oring_head.htm

The pictures are probably supposed to be self-explanatory, but it's not
working for me. I know how a boring head works, but I cannot figure out
what the added part is for, made from square bar.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't understand the page with the boring head.
http://www.mcduffee-associates.us/ma...oring_head.htm

Since you don't have calibrations like a real boring
head, you need some way to measure how far out
you have set the tool bit. The extra block allows
you to do that. Gingery uses a similar method in his
books as well.
--Glenn Lyford

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brent Philion wrote:
1. Before anyone even starts a REAL milling machine is in the works but
the 2 demons of all workshops are working against it Money and
Especially space so until the new workshop is built i have a lathe and
room for it but NOT a mill or even a Mill/Drill asian thingy

I know this is aimed mainly at the hobby people because most sane people
would used a vertical mill for vertical milling and a lathe for turning.
As i said though the time and Space demons are on me so to me it makes
more sense to be able to do some limited milling in a lathe than to do
nothing waiting for the mill

Has anyone used the Palmgren vertical vise miling attachment or a myford
vertical table? which would be the most versatile to serve until i could
get a proper milling machine?

Any help is appreciated

Since nobody has replied about the vertical table vs. vise, I'll
comment. I've got a Palmgren milling slide with a slotted table
instead of a vise, I've always regretted that. By the time you get a
vise on the thing, you've got a whale of a lot of leverage on the
compound. I replaced the lantern TP mounting forks on the milling
attachment with a disk that fits the compound hole on the 9" S.B., it
helped, but not a whole lot. Still a lot of leverage there, things
moved while cutting. I made my own milling cutter holder for the
headstock, cut off a large MT3-shanked drill, drilled and tapped the
small end for a drawbar and bored a hole in the other for the cutter
shank, secured with a setscrew. Still couldn't do keyways very well.
Solved it by going with a Aamco shaper. I now have a small vertical
mill for that stuff. The slotted vertical table was good in theory,
being more flexible than a vise, I just couldn't get a solid setup that
way.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

I checked in with MLA and found out that for the atlas cross slide table
i would need a mill to finish the casting.

It sort of created a Chicken and Egg situation

I'm looking for this kit because idont have a mill but i need a mill to
make the kit work (And the cost of the local communit colleges machining
project course is $400 for access to the machines and no teaching involved)

I could put the 400 towards a mill or towards instruction so for now
that kind of puts the casting kit to the side and makes me lean towards
saving for a mill

Rex B wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

Hmm ... check with MLA for their casting kit for a T-slotted
cross-slide for a South Bend. It may be the right dimensions to be
machined to fit the Atlas as well.

They offer one made for the Atlas.

http://www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/A-11.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull

In article ,
Brent Philion wrote:

I checked in with MLA and found out that for the atlas cross slide table
i would need a mill to finish the casting.

It sort of created a Chicken and Egg situation

I'm looking for this kit because idont have a mill but i need a mill to
make the kit work (And the cost of the local communit colleges machining
project course is $400 for access to the machines and no teaching involved)

I could put the 400 towards a mill or towards instruction so for now
that kind of puts the casting kit to the side and makes me lean towards
saving for a mill

I found a small but sturdy mill for $300

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:08:56 GMT, Nick Hull
wrote:

In article ,
Brent Philion wrote:

I checked in with MLA and found out that for the atlas cross slide table
i would need a mill to finish the casting.

It sort of created a Chicken and Egg situation

I'm looking for this kit because idont have a mill but i need a mill to
make the kit work (And the cost of the local communit colleges machining
project course is $400 for access to the machines and no teaching involved)

I could put the 400 towards a mill or towards instruction so for now
that kind of puts the casting kit to the side and makes me lean towards
saving for a mill

I found a small but sturdy mill for $300

===================
You don't have to have a lathe milling adapter to do milling on
the lathe. It just makes it a whole lot easier. You can get by
with a right angle iron of the appropriate size bolted to the top
of the cross slide, and the part to be milled clamped to the
right angle iron. Problem will be in the set-up/adjustment.
This will involve several hours with the dial indicator to get
the face of the right angle iron exactly perpendicular to the
spindle axis and then several hours to get the height and pitch
of the part correctly clamped to the angle iron. Major PITA, but
you only have to do this once. How do you think the first
machinist made one?

Uncle George
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 23:08:56 GMT, Nick Hull
wrote:

In article ,
Brent Philion wrote:

[...]

I milled a block-style toolpost on my 9" Logan with no mill or milling
attachment. I have also used a Phase II QC toolpost and holder as a
small milling attachment. The toolbit clamping posts are you "vise" with
built-in vertical screw adjustment. Works for small things.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

Just wanted to Toss an update

Two weeks ago i bought the MT3 to Weldon endmill holder and a few days
later built its drawbar On thursday the Palmgen 400B milling adaptor
came in and this weekend i'm going to make a holddown for it (My
current rocker toolpost is a bit too small so i'm going to turn one
this weekend hopefully to fit what the milling attachment is
expecting)

thanks for the advice to all who posted. this should keep me doing
some limited milling until such time as i can afford a real mill or
mill/drill