Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help with 2002 Dakota.

Sorry for another question but things just seem to keep happening:

My brother has a 2002 Dodge Dakota truck with a v6. King cab 150,000
miles. He took it to Midas and had a new heater core, coolant flush,
etc a month ago. Spent about 700 bucks.

Anyway he was driving it and it overheated and began blowing out
clouds of white smoke. He took it to Midas. They said it would be a
3-4 hour job at 70 bucks an hour to take it apart and find out what is
wrong. Since my brother mentioned to them that he was wanting a new
vehicle anyway, they offered to buy it as is for 275.00.

When my mother told me I called the mechanic at Midas. He said it was
billowing smoke so much they had to open the bay doors. Think he said
they did a pressure test and it was not holding pressure and it was
leaking coolant internally.

I got a call from my mom last night saying that if I wanted the truck
I could just have it. If not, they were going to sell it to the guy at
Midas.

What are the odds this is just a head gasket and not a cracked block
or head? I have replaced heads before but it was a long time ago.
Would this be worth me takign and trying to fix to sell it or am I
asking for a headache?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

I'd bet it's a head gasket!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 12, 1:42*pm, "Buerste" wrote:
"stryped" wrote in message

[...]

I'd bet it's a head gasket!- Hide quoted text -

Easy to fix? How much in parts?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:

What are the odds this is just a head gasket and not a cracked block
or head? I have replaced heads before but it was a long time ago.
Would this be worth me takign and trying to fix to sell it or am I
asking for a headache?

Bring it home, pull intake and head or heads depending on luck. Decide then. Scrap value
has not been affected in any way. Find out if they use stretch bolts for heads, newer
stuff uses head bolts that MUST be replaced as I understand it.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 05:32:25 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

What are the odds this is just a head gasket and not a cracked block
or head? I have replaced heads before but it was a long time ago.
Would this be worth me takign and trying to fix to sell it or am I
asking for a headache?

Most likely cause is a combination of a stuck thermostat and blown head
gaskets.

Suspect a cracked block if you know that there's no antifreeze and/or core
plugs have come out.

This opinion is worth what you paid for it, but ties in with three of my past
vehicles :-(

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had a Blazer that dumped white steam out - water leak into a
cylinder and the steam explosion blew out the front corner of my V6 engine.

I traded it in - or pay for a rental, labor, a new engine and new hoses and
lord knows what else. Known for massive charge overruns....

I traded the truck in - as I was told it was to be junked, I got my stuff
out, and stripped the truck of anything I could. The sales guy (not manager)
was aghast to my taking the bumper hitch etc. I asked him - you said
you were going to junk it to the scrap yard - so what is the problem.

Two bays down were 6 engine blocks in special shipping racks. I think
Chevy had a problem they were not willing to pay for.

Be cautious - might be a short or long engine.

Martin

stryped wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What kind of idiot would let Midas, a muffler shop franchise that
shoe-horned it's way into "auto repair" by hiring deadbeats and losers
the legitimate shops wouldn't touch; changed their moniker to Midas
Auto Service, and hung their shingle out for suckers, perform a
complex repair like that? I don't need to comment on the truck,
everyone here knows what happened after Midas worked on it.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

wrote:

Sorry for another question but things just seem to keep happening:

My brother has a 2002 Dodge Dakota truck with a v6. King cab 150,000
miles. He took it to Midas and had a new heater core, coolant flush,
etc a month ago. Spent about 700 bucks.

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

JR, it didn't seem that anyone was thinking of mentioning that, although
that was my first instinct.

It would seem likely to me, that Midas's workmanship or parts were related
to the overheating and subsequent damage.

I have no idea why anyone would continue to operate a vehicle if the engine
light or other warning indicator was on, but they do.. even when it's
billowing white smoke, I guess.

Cooling system repairs/service prior to an overheating condition.. nope, I
wouldn't ever guess that the two were related.

I wunder what folks base their logic or reasoning on today. Maybe it was
just (something-to-be-worshipped)'s will.

--
WB
metalworking projects

wrote:

Sorry for another question but things just seem to keep happening:

My brother has a 2002 Dodge Dakota truck with a v6. King cab 150,000
miles. He took it to Midas and had a new heater core, coolant flush,
etc a month ago. Spent about 700 bucks.

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
JR, it didn't seem that anyone was thinking of mentioning that,
although that was my first instinct.

It would seem likely to me, that Midas's workmanship or parts were
related to the overheating and subsequent damage.

I have no idea why anyone would continue to operate a vehicle if the
engine light or other warning indicator was on, but they do.. even
when it's billowing white smoke, I guess.

Cooling system repairs/service prior to an overheating condition..
nope, I wouldn't ever guess that the two were related.

I wunder what folks base their logic or reasoning on today. Maybe it
was just (something-to-be-worshipped)'s will.

Bill,

Your website seems to be down. You posted something about punches or the
like a couple of weeks ago and I was interested and went to your site
but it just timed out. Is it down?. IIRC I have looked at it in the past
but not recently.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi Dave, as I just checked the management software, it seems that everything
is fine with all the metalworking projects pages.

I don't know enough about the software (Cpanel) to find out if there was any
outage, but I'm nowhere my traffic limit, only about half of last month's
traffic.

I don't recall mentioning anything about punches Dave, but I did mention my
toolholder for grinding HSS lathe cutting tools a couple of times within the
past few weeks.

http://www.kwagmire.com/tools/broach_tool.html

You're the first comment that I know of, regarding anything at the kwagmire
site, but I don't give an email address for it just because anyone that
reads RCM could associate my signature with that site, so they would have an
idea of how to contact me.
There is quite a bit of traffic from non-RCM origins that wouldn't know how
to contact me, though.

Thanks for mentioning it Dave, I rarely pay much attention to it, or update
it, which I just keep neglecting to do.

--

"David Billington" wrote in message
Wild_Bill wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
[...]

That was the link I was interested in looking at but it still seems to
be down. Basically it seems that www.kwagmire.com can't be found so may
be a DNS issue. While that subject was of interest the whole
www.kwagmire.com site seems to be unreachable for me at the moment. It
would be useful to now if others have the same problem.

Cheers

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It seems to be working here, Dave. I search kwagmire from a Google, search
page, or Yahoo, and click the links, zingo.. goes right to the pages.

I'm fairly certain that I'm actually getting fresh paths to kwagmire, since
I have my browser settings set to go to the actual URLs each time I request
them (but since this is hack/spitMS Windowsiscrap, I wouldn't bet my dog on
it).

--

Wild_Bill wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
It seems to be working here, Dave. I search kwagmire from a Google,
search page, or Yahoo, and click the links, zingo.. goes right to the
pages.

I'm fairly certain that I'm actually getting fresh paths to kwagmire,
since I have my browser settings set to go to the actual URLs each
time I request them (but since this is hack/spitMS Windowsiscrap, I
wouldn't bet my dog on it).

Interesting, must do some more digging about this. I can use google and
get many hits about your site www.kwagmire.com but when trying to go to
the site I get the error "server can not be found". I'm sure I have
looked at your site in the past so shall do some more digging to see if
I can find where the problem is.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 21:57:50 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

That was the link I was interested in looking at but it still seems to
be down. Basically it seems that www.kwagmire.com can't be found so may
be a DNS issue. While that subject was of interest the whole
www.kwagmire.com site seems to be unreachable for me at the moment. It
would be useful to now if others have the same problem.

Cheers

Dave

Just checked. I can resolve it ok. if you're running windoze do:-
ipconfig /flushdns.

Flush the cache on or restart your dns server if you're running one.

Alternatively, it may have been down when you looked and up when I looked:-)

regards
Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just did a traceroute and it mapped 11 hops to the destination.. don't
know what that means, if anything, but I wasn't able to find my DNS Tools
folder.

I think Mark has made a good point, that if your browser isn't set to go
directly to a URL for every attempt you make, it will just keep showing the
last result (as part of your recent History, maybe?).

I had made that change a long time ago (to get new results every attempt)
when I was first starting to learn how to create a web site. The problem was
that I couldn't see new changes/corrections after I had uploaded them.

--
WB

Wild_Bill wrote:
It seems to be working here, Dave. I search kwagmire from a Google,
search page, or Yahoo, and click the links, zingo.. goes right to the
pages.

I'm fairly certain that I'm actually getting fresh paths to kwagmire,
since I have my browser settings set to go to the actual URLs each time I
request them (but since this is hack/spitMS Windowsiscrap, I wouldn't bet
my dog on it).

Interesting, must do some more digging about this. I can use google and
get many hits about your site www.kwagmire.com but when trying to go to
the site I get the error "server can not be found". I'm sure I have looked
at your site in the past so shall do some more digging to see if I can
find where the problem is.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

That was the link I was interested in looking at but it still seems to
be down. Basically it seems that www.kwagmire.com can't be found so may
be a DNS issue. While that subject was of interest the whole
www.kwagmire.com site seems to be unreachable for me at the moment. It
would be useful to now if others have the same problem.

Cheers

Dave

Just checked. I can resolve it ok. if you're running windoze do:-
ipconfig /flushdns.

Flush the cache on or restart your dns server if you're running one.

Alternatively, it may have been down when you looked and up when I looked:-)

regards
Mark Rand
RTFM

I'll look into it but am currently running Mandriva 2006 and have no had
any issues before.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
I forgot to mench, there are no ads, cookie crap or anything else,
that some types of software would possibly block, so I'm boofuddled.

My MS XP machine, which has never tried to connect to kwagmire.com,
failed to connect so not sure what is going on at the moment.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Billington wrote:

I'll look into it but am currently running Mandriva 2006 and have no had
any issues before.

It works OK for me. I'm using open DNS. I was having problems with
Earthlink's DNS server being down, or very slow.

http://www.opendns.com/

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In looking at the Cpanel stats for the 13th, the graph and numbers are low
compared to previous days this month, Dave.
It's 3am EDT here, so I'm guessing the overall traffic has been calculated.

I don't see any tools for looking at downtime or anything that resembles
that.

When I can reach my hosting guy/guru, I'll ask him if he can determine
anything about lapses or potential problems.

--
WB

Wild_Bill wrote:
I forgot to mench, there are no ads, cookie crap or anything else, that
some types of software would possibly block, so I'm boofuddled.

My MS XP machine, which has never tried to connect to kwagmire.com, failed
to connect so not sure what is going on at the moment.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After sending the previous message a few minutes ago, I noticed an Update
Now button, and the traffic looked normal, not low. It seems that I'd been
looking at the stats results from about 6 hours earlier for the 13th.

As I mentioned before, I don't understand much about the tools for Cpanel,
probably not more than about 10%.

--
WB

Wild_Bill wrote:
I forgot to mench, there are no ads, cookie crap or anything else, that
some types of software would possibly block, so I'm boofuddled.

My MS XP machine, which has never tried to connect to kwagmire.com, failed
to connect so not sure what is going on at the moment.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
In looking at the Cpanel stats for the 13th, the graph and numbers are
low compared to previous days this month, Dave.
It's 3am EDT here, so I'm guessing the overall traffic has been
calculated.

I don't see any tools for looking at downtime or anything that
resembles that.

When I can reach my hosting guy/guru, I'll ask him if he can determine
anything about lapses or potential problems.

No joy yet. I tried using open DNS ip addresses in my router as
suggested by Michael Terrell and it still can't find it.
If I do a dig and get the ip address I can see a Cpanel page but that's
not much use.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
In looking at the Cpanel stats for the 13th, the graph and numbers are
low compared to previous days this month, Dave.
It's 3am EDT here, so I'm guessing the overall traffic has been
calculated.

I don't see any tools for looking at downtime or anything that
resembles that.

When I can reach my hosting guy/guru, I'll ask him if he can determine
anything about lapses or potential problems.

Got it now. I had to set the DNS entries on my local machine and it now
goes straight to your site. The broaching page shows almost exactly what
I did for holding a HSS tool bit for a metal spinning trim tool.

Cheers

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm glad you guys were able to figure out that DNS stuff, because all that
stuff is over my head.

The images for the toolholder were made on a flatbed scanner. Making good
images of metal parts (and dark materials in general) is fairly complicated
if one doesn't have a good camera and some talent in lighting and
photography.

I find the toolholders very handy when sitting at the grinder with a handful
of cutting tools to grind. I can grind very aggressively for rough shaping
HSS cutting tool blanks.

--

Wild_Bill wrote:
In looking at the Cpanel stats for the 13th, the graph and numbers are
low compared to previous days this month, Dave.
It's 3am EDT here, so I'm guessing the overall traffic has been
calculated.

I don't see any tools for looking at downtime or anything that resembles
that.

When I can reach my hosting guy/guru, I'll ask him if he can determine
anything about lapses or potential problems.

Got it now. I had to set the DNS entries on my local machine and it now
goes straight to your site. The broaching page shows almost exactly what I
did for holding a HSS tool bit for a metal spinning trim tool.

Cheers

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wild_Bill wrote:
I'm glad you guys were able to figure out that DNS stuff, because all
that stuff is over my head.

I forgot that the PC and the router had DNS settings. The PC settings
did the job, not sure what the router ones do.

The images for the toolholder were made on a flatbed scanner. Making
good images of metal parts (and dark materials in general) is fairly
complicated if one doesn't have a good camera and some talent in
lighting and photography.

Tell me about it. Most of the stuff I take pics of, mainly metalwork,
give my camera trouble in that it won't auto focus so requires finding
something at the same distance to focus on then moving back to the
desried subject. PITA.

I find the toolholders very handy when sitting at the grinder with a
handful of cutting tools to grind. I can grind very aggressively for
rough shaping HSS cutting tool blanks.

That's a nice idea. I hadn't thought of using my trim tool for that but
it would make some shaping much easier on 3/8" bits having about 2.5' of
steel and ash as a lever behind it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I've had to come up with some tricks/alternate methods for using my low-end
HP 215 PhotoSmart digital camera.

Often, I turn the flash off and use 1 or 2 sunlight compact fluorescent
bulbs in extension arm lamps to light the object.
Using anything to steady the camera produces exceptionally better results.
Just holding the cam with 2 hands doesn't produce good results for me. If I
can't find a stationary surface nearby to rest the cam on, I'll grab some
length of anything about 6 foot long to use as a monopod to steady the cam.
I rarely use a tripod setup, but instead just improvise something.

Small items are sometimes a problem to shoot close-up, so I'll use the cam's
x2 zoom (electronic, not optical) feature, and move further away.

Background contrast is a big factor with inexpensive cameras. I bought a
pack of neon colored poster boards, and placing an object on one color will
produce far better results than some other colors.
Other colors of poster board (actually just heavy paper like card stock) are
good for some items. White background for a dark object generally produces a
poor image of the object, for example, with inexpensive cameras.

I see some eBay auction pictures that are fantastic images of metal objects
(and black objects with white text on them or shiny objects with black text)
that I assume are taken with somewhat expensive digital cameras, maybe over
$1k.
I can't see spending a couple grand for a camera when I'm not really very
interested in photography.

The HP 215 was about $170 a few years ago (maybe 5 years), and it does a
barely adequate job of taking pictures in the shop, but it was practically
worthless without rechargeable NiMH batteries (2000 mAh or better). Alkaline
batteries would only last for about 12 pictures.

--

Wild_Bill wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 12, 5:13*pm, Wes wrote:
stryped wrote:
What are the odds this is just a head gasket and not a cracked block
or head? I have replaced heads before but it was a long time ago.
Would this be worth me takign and trying to fix to sell it or am I
asking for a headache?

Bring it home, pull intake and head or heads depending on luck. *Decide then. *Scrap value
has not been affected in any way. *Find out if they use stretch bolts for heads, newer
stuff uses head bolts that MUST be replaced as I understand it.

Wes

Well, my brother is bringing the truck to me today. After the holidays
I will take the heads off and see what is goign on. I fugure worst
case scenario I can haul it to the junk yard but it is a nice looking
truck.

I found out it is a 2000, not an 02 and has about 160,000 miles.

I have never done a head gasket on a car before. It is usually obviosu
when takign the head off if it is the head gasket? I guess parts of
the gasket woudl be missing?

My brother said it keept being low on coolant and he kept putting
coolant in. It overheated on him and the dash light came on and he
immediately stopped and parked it across form Midas. The next morngi
he started it to drive it over there and that is when he noticed alot
of smoke.

He said it had been runnign fine but that for several weeks there
seemed to be hesitation with the engine.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:

I have never done a head gasket on a car before. It is usually obviosu
when takign the head off if it is the head gasket? I guess parts of
the gasket woudl be missing?

If not missing, you will see distortions. Also pay attention to the intake gaskets, there
is usually cooling passages in the intake also.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 05:35:55 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

On Dec 12, 5:13*pm, Wes wrote:
stryped wrote:
[...]

A friend...professional mechanic has used Steel Seal on 3 of his own
vehicles with great sucess.

http://www.steelseal.com/store/pc/vi...y=&idproduct=3

He says to follow the directions EXACTLY. He later tore one engine
down to do a rebuild, and found that the sealant looked and felt very
simlar to JB Weld.

It will cost you about $150 for two bottles for a V8, plus shipping.
Takes about 24-36 hours for it to fully cure/seal. He has driven at
least 100,000 miles on each of those 3 vehicles with no issues.

Gunner

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania

Fender deLuxe Hot Rod ,2002 N Cook Electronics Repair 66 April 6th 08 08:36 PM
Car battery a 2002 ransley Home Repair 24 January 22nd 08 11:57 PM
Laney CD850S, 2002 N Cook Electronics Repair 5 August 27th 07 11:35 AM
GFCI and NEC 2002 Kathy Home Repair 21 February 8th 05 03:14 PM
Best Screw of 2002 SJ UK diy 42 January 5th 04 01:16 PM