Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need Whitworth tools. Will trade for Stuff

The subject says it all.

Gunner

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There is still plenty of whitworth stuff available here in Australia,both
new and used.

You might try ebay.com.au

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

The subject says it all.

Gunner

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of
Spotsylvania

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 01:57:29 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

The subject says it all.

what whitworth tools do you need?
taps?
dies?
spanners?

very zen that subject line. says it all but says nothing.
Stealth Pilot

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 22:09:54 +1100, the infamous "Grumpy"
scrawled the following:

There is still plenty of whitworth stuff available here in Australia,both
new and used.

You might try ebay.com.au

Unfortunately, he could buy a whole new scoot for the price of
shipping a few heavy steel tools here from Oz, Grumps. Hell, "they"
get $20USD for shipping a mere paperback book from there. It's one of
the most ridiculous things I've seen in a long while.

---
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.
--John Wayne (1907 - 1979)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 26, 3:57*am, Gunner Asch wrote:
The subject says it all.

Gunner

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania

Gunner,

I've got some Whitworth stuff if I can find it. I've had some of
these wrenches for 40 years. I'll be in touch if I can lay my sweaty
paws on any of 'em.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a one-way tool policy, They come in but they never go out, inless
somehow i have 3 of something I can only use one of.
Ebay is your friend, or buy new. I bought sockets and wrenches new so as not
to screw up the fasteners. I did good on Ebay for taps and dies.
http://www.rabers.com/parts/tools/index.html

--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The subject says it all.

what whitworth tools do you need?
taps?
dies?
spanners?

very zen that subject line. says it all but says nothing.
Stealth Pilot

Whitworth screwdrivers, crescent wrenches and the like. And maybe a
Whitworth crosspoint screwdriver and a Stillson (pipe wrench)

I take it you havent followed the Royal Enfield thread?

Im getting an elderly Royal Enfield 700 up and running and have been
running into tool size incompatibilty, so I need spanners, ring
spanners, sockets and whatever I can find to losen and tighten Whitworth
fasteners without chewing them up.

here once was a frog named Whitworth
who liked to sit on a britworth
one day he slipped wrench
because of his bench
and now he is stuck in the snitworth

Gunner

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 22:09:54 +1100, "Grumpy"
wrote:

There is still plenty of whitworth stuff available here in Australia,both
new and used.

You might try ebay.com.au

shipping, import duties and so forth..might get a bit expensive, eh wot?

But Ill check

Thanks

Gunner

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .

The subject says it all.

Gunner

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of
Spotsylvania

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 08:11:07 -0800 (PST), Vernon
wrote:

On Nov 26, 3:57*am, Gunner Asch wrote:
The subject says it all.

Gunner

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania

Gunner,

I've got some Whitworth stuff if I can find it. I've had some of
these wrenches for 40 years. I'll be in touch if I can lay my sweaty
paws on any of 'em.

Thanks Vernon. Ill see about rounding up some R8 tooling for you. G

Or other stuff as needed.

Gunner

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

The subject says it all.

Gunner

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania

I have a nice Whitworth hammer I can sell you at a price.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 04:58:14 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 22:09:54 +1100, the infamous "Grumpy"
scrawled the following:

There is still plenty of whitworth stuff available here in Australia,both
new and used.

You might try ebay.com.au

Unfortunately, he could buy a whole new scoot for the price of
shipping a few heavy steel tools here from Oz, Grumps. Hell, "they"
get $20USD for shipping a mere paperback book from there. It's one of
the most ridiculous things I've seen in a long while.

About 5 years ago I sent a dozen boxes of Kraft Dinner to my KD
addicted son in the other London. $4.95 for the product, $39.70 parcel
post; rates are higher now. Even at that, he figures he could make a
profit by having me ship it to him and sell it below the local retail
price. Every visit, I take an extra suitcase full of KD (I'm on a
special diet and bring my own food, don't you know).
---
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.
--John Wayne (1907 - 1979)

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Nov 26, 3:57*am, Gunner Asch wrote:
The subject says it all.

Gunner

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania

Gunner,

I've got some Whitworth stuff if I can find it. I've had some of
these wrenches for 40 years. I'll be in touch if I can lay my sweaty
paws on any of 'em.

I think my Whitworth wrenches from 1957 have been misplaced in my many
moves.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Just go down to your Sears store - they have them right there in the
store, don't even need to do a catalog order. At least they did in '59
or '60 when I bought a '53 MG-TD and needed Whitworth wrenches for it.

More amazing is that the Sears store was in Youngstown, Ohio - the home
of maybe 2 MG's. Wait, maybe that was a Pittsburgh Sears. But even
Pittsburgh didn't have enough English cars to justify Sears carrying
those wrenches. Not just a couple of sets, either: individual sockets,
box ends, etc.

Sears' good old days.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

The subject says it all.

Gunner

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of
Spotsylvania

You may also find you're bike has some BA fasteners in the electrical
system, and instruments.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The subject says it all.

what whitworth tools do you need?
taps?
dies?
spanners?

very zen that subject line. says it all but says nothing. Stealth Pilot

Whitworth screwdrivers, crescent wrenches and the like. And maybe a
Whitworth crosspoint screwdriver and a Stillson (pipe wrench)

Gunner

Aw, that's too bad. You could probably get started by buying some cheap
hand wrenches (the kind that don't fit anyway) and grinding them out a
bit to fit the next higher size.

But a Whitworth crescent wrench -- that's hard. It uses a special thread
form on the screw an rack that can only be machined on a British lathe
using special adapters hand-built by gnomes in Scotland.

So I guess you'll have to find the real deal, eh?

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Unfortunately, he could buy a whole new scoot for the price of
shipping a few heavy steel tools here from Oz, Grumps. Hell, "they"
get $20USD for shipping a mere paperback book from there. It's one of
the most ridiculous things I've seen in a long while.

We can ship cheap junk from China for peanuts but it costs a fortune to ship a jar of
Vegemite from Australia. Something is wrong with that.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

But a Whitworth crescent wrench -- that's hard. It uses a special thread
form on the screw an rack that can only be machined on a British lathe
using special adapters hand-built by gnomes in Scotland.

That lathe is a Myford, no other lathe is capable.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

A friend of mine has parents in the Bahamas and whenever he or his
sister go out to visit from the UK they have to take bacon and sausages
as all the stuff they get in the Bahamas is from the US. Having lived in
the US its difficult to understand how the best bacon seemed to have
more fat than the streaky we get in the UK. Whats the bacon like in Canada.

---
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight
It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.
--John Wayne (1907 - 1979)

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A good Australian friend brought us our very own jar of Vegemite -
probably for his use while here. That stuff is not one of life's
wonderful experiences. Is it good for removing paint? I do see
it in a very few stores, we must be getting more Australians.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Wes" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:

Unfortunately, he could buy a whole new scoot for the price of
shipping a few heavy steel tools here from Oz, Grumps. Hell,
"they"
get $20USD for shipping a mere paperback book from there. It's
one of
the most ridiculous things I've seen in a long while.

We can ship cheap junk from China for peanuts but it costs a
fortune to ship a jar of
Vegemite from Australia. Something is wrong with that.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 21:33:31 -0500, the infamous Gerald Miller
scrawled the following:

wrote:

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 22:09:54 +1100, the infamous "Grumpy"
scrawled the following:

There is still plenty of whitworth stuff available here in Australia,both
new and used.

You might try ebay.com.au

Unfortunately, he could buy a whole new scoot for the price of
shipping a few heavy steel tools here from Oz, Grumps. Hell, "they"
get $20USD for shipping a mere paperback book from there. It's one of
the most ridiculous things I've seen in a long while.

About 5 years ago I sent a dozen boxes of Kraft Dinner to my KD
addicted son in the other London. $4.95 for the product, $39.70 parcel

Crikey! Isn't that ridiculous? I paid $13 and change for delivery of
a muscle stim unit from England, and it was only 4 ounces. Aussie
parcels are triple that while Chinese parcels are only 1.5 times the
normal in-country fees. Go figure. They're both the same distance
from me.

post; rates are higher now. Even at that, he figures he could make a
profit by having me ship it to him and sell it below the local retail
price. Every visit, I take an extra suitcase full of KD (I'm on a
special diet and bring my own food, don't you know).

I'll bet that's fun in Customs! I had fun in Customs from Mexico
once. I brought back some coral (before I knew better) and when the
agent opened my suitcase, the stench forced him to close it and wave
me through without further search. I could have smuggled in a couple
kilos of goods without fuss that day.

--
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
-- Confucius

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 12:40:48 +0000, the infamous David Billington
scrawled the following:

A friend of mine has parents in the Bahamas and whenever he or his
sister go out to visit from the UK they have to take bacon and sausages
as all the stuff they get in the Bahamas is from the US. Having lived in
the US its difficult to understand how the best bacon seemed to have
more fat than the streaky we get in the UK.

Yes, the best bacon is 75% fat. Char it and most of that goes away
while leaving one the best tastes on Earth. It ranks right up there
with Sumatran coffee.

Whats the bacon like in Canada.

That's not bacon, it's ham which is -called- Canadian Bacon.
'Orrible stuff!

--
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
-- Confucius
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

We can ship cheap junk from China for peanuts but it costs a fortune to ship a jar of
Vegemite from Australia.

It's the hazardous material surcharge.

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The subject says it all.

what whitworth tools do you need?
taps?
dies?
spanners?

very zen that subject line. says it all but says nothing.
Stealth Pilot

Whitworth screwdrivers, crescent wrenches

left or right hand??

and the like. And maybe a
Whitworth crosspoint screwdriver and a Stillson (pipe wrench)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

wrote:

The subject says it all.

what whitworth tools do you need?
taps?
dies?
spanners?

very zen that subject line. says it all but says nothing.
Stealth Pilot

Whitworth screwdrivers, crescent wrenches

left or right hand??

and the like. And maybe a
Whitworth crosspoint screwdriver and a Stillson (pipe wrench)

This chap hoolds loads of Whitworth and BSF tooling and exports all
over the world even though he's just a one man band:

http://www.baconsdozen.co.uk/

AWEM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The subject says it all.

what whitworth tools do you need?
taps?
dies?
spanners?

very zen that subject line. says it all but says nothing. Stealth Pilot

Whitworth screwdrivers, crescent wrenches and the like. And maybe a
Whitworth crosspoint screwdriver and a Stillson (pipe wrench)

Gunner

Aw, that's too bad. You could probably get started by buying some cheap
hand wrenches (the kind that don't fit anyway) and grinding them out a
bit to fit the next higher size.

But a Whitworth crescent wrench -- that's hard. It uses a special thread
form on the screw an rack that can only be machined on a British lathe
using special adapters hand-built by gnomes in Scotland.

So I guess you'll have to find the real deal, eh?

The hard one has been finding a Whitworth crosspoint screw drivers.
Everyone Ive asked has looked at me like I was crazy.

Damn..they must be reallllllly hard to find.

Gunner

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The subject says it all.

what whitworth tools do you need?
taps?
dies?
spanners?

very zen that subject line. says it all but says nothing.
Stealth Pilot

Whitworth screwdrivers, crescent wrenches

left or right hand??

damn....Im going to have to check. brb.

I need lefthand for removal, right hand for installation.

Sigh...this is going to get expensive....

and the like. And maybe a
Whitworth crosspoint screwdriver and a Stillson (pipe wrench)

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:10:19 -0800, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

wrote:

. ..

wrote:

The subject says it all.

what whitworth tools do you need?
taps?
dies?
spanners?

very zen that subject line. says it all but says nothing.
Stealth Pilot

Whitworth screwdrivers, crescent wrenches

left or right hand??

damn....Im going to have to check. brb.

I need lefthand for removal, right hand for installation.

Sigh...this is going to get expensive....

All this reminds me of the joke I heard last week:

--snip--
A car gets a flat on the interstate one day.

The blonde driver eases it over onto the shoulder
of the road, carefully steps out of the car and opens the trunk.

She takes out two cardboard men, unfolds them and
stands them at the rear of the vehicle facing oncoming traffic.

The lifelike cardboard men are in trench coats
exposing their nude bodies and private parts to approaching drivers.
Not
surprisingly, the traffic becomes snarled and backed up.

It isn't very long before a police car arrives.

The officer, clearly enraged, approaches the blonde
of the disabled Vehicle yelling, ' What's going on here?'

'My car broke down, officer' says the woman calmly.

'Well, what the heck are these obscene cardboard
pictures doing here by the road?' he asks.

'Helllooooooo!!! !' says the blonde.

'Those are my emergency flashers!'
--snip--

--
In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a
question mark on the things you have long taken for granted.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 12:40:48 +0000, the infamous David Billington
scrawled the following:

A friend of mine has parents in the Bahamas and whenever he or his
sister go out to visit from the UK they have to take bacon and sausages
as all the stuff they get in the Bahamas is from the US. Having lived in
the US its difficult to understand how the best bacon seemed to have
more fat than the streaky we get in the UK.

Yes, the best bacon is 75% fat. Char it and most of that goes away
while leaving one the best tastes on Earth. It ranks right up there
with Sumatran coffee.

Having experienced both for some years I agree on the qualities of the
smell and taste of bacon but definitely disagree on which version is
best, makes for an interesting world. I much prefer the English stuff
and Danish and prefer smoked bacon. The Dutch have "spek" which is fatty
like US bacon but tends to be sliced much thinner.

Whats the bacon like in Canada.

That's not bacon, it's ham which is -called- Canadian Bacon.
'Orrible stuff!

--
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
-- Confucius

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 01:57:29 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

The subject says it all.

Say what sizes you need and I may have duplicates to send off in
the post.

No charge - you help others enough

Alan

change oz to au in email address
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:10:18 -0800
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Aw, that's too bad. You could probably get started by buying some cheap
hand wrenches (the kind that don't fit anyway) and grinding them out a
bit to fit the next higher size.

But a Whitworth crescent wrench -- that's hard. It uses a special thread
form on the screw an rack that can only be machined on a British lathe
using special adapters hand-built by gnomes in Scotland.

So I guess you'll have to find the real deal, eh?

The hard one has been finding a Whitworth crosspoint screw drivers.
Everyone Ive asked has looked at me like I was crazy.

Damn..they must be reallllllly hard to find.

Dang, it has been a while, which is why I forgot about it. Way
back when, I worked with a Brit in a VW shop in Germany. He mentioned
this in passing, which is why it has taken so long to percolate back
to consciousness.
The problem is that you are looking for crosspoint screwdrivers
which look like a plus sign. Whitworth crosspoints look like an X.

Just one more detail to drive you crazy. At least you're not
working on the Greek made machines - those require a screwdriver which
looks like an Xi.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 18:15:59 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That explains it!

Just one more detail to drive you crazy. At least you're not
working on the Greek made machines - those require a screwdriver which
looks like an Xi.

I thought they looked like "?" (the infinity symbol)

Or do I have that mistaken for old travel trailer screws?

tschus
pyotr

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Mon, 01 Dec 2008 08:20:01 -0800
in rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:

[...]

No, those are for holding on propeller shafts or blades.