Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need Whitworth tools. Will trade for Stuff

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 18:15:59 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:10:18 -0800
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Aw, that's too bad. You could probably get started by buying some cheap
hand wrenches (the kind that don't fit anyway) and grinding them out a
bit to fit the next higher size.

But a Whitworth crescent wrench -- that's hard. It uses a special thread
form on the screw an rack that can only be machined on a British lathe
using special adapters hand-built by gnomes in Scotland.

So I guess you'll have to find the real deal, eh?

The hard one has been finding a Whitworth crosspoint screw drivers.
Everyone Ive asked has looked at me like I was crazy.

Damn..they must be reallllllly hard to find.

Dang, it has been a while, which is why I forgot about it. Way
back when, I worked with a Brit in a VW shop in Germany. He mentioned
this in passing, which is why it has taken so long to percolate back
to consciousness.
The problem is that you are looking for crosspoint screwdrivers
which look like a plus sign. Whitworth crosspoints look like an X.

AH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That explains it!

Just one more detail to drive you crazy. At least you're not
working on the Greek made machines - those require a screwdriver which
looks like an Xi.

I thought they looked like "?" (the infinity symbol)

Or do I have that mistaken for old travel trailer screws?

tschus
pyotr

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania