Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My mister has a cold

My cool mist quit today and it had a load of snot in the tank clogging it
up. I am using a eco-non-anything coolmist koolaid and water, and had it all
washed out 3 months ago. I use it most of the time I am milling, but still
only need to fill it once or twice a month.
What are you guys using to kill bacteria? I don't think adding gas or laquer
thinner to a water base will do, what about Lysol or another alcohol?
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stupendous Man wrote:

My cool mist quit today and it had a load of snot in the tank clogging
it up.

(...)

Get thyself to yon local beauty supply store and buy the largest bottle
of "40 volume liquid developer" you can. Liquid, not creme type.

http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.c...-peroxide.html

This stuff is 12% concentration Hydrogen Peroxide.

Handle with care. Wear eye protection.
The stuff will burn you chemically.

Dump a little in the tank, swish it around and check it 24 hrs later.

Cautions listed: strong oxidizer, causes irritation, effects may be
delayed, not for medicinal use, avoid contact with eyes or skin.
If irritation occurs, flush with water. In case of eye contact or
ingestion, get professional medical help. Store in a cool place out
of sunlight. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
My cool mist quit today and it had a load of snot in the tank clogging it
up. I am using a eco-non-anything coolmist koolaid and water, and had it
all washed out 3 months ago. I use it most of the time I am milling, but
still only need to fill it once or twice a month.
What are you guys using to kill bacteria? I don't think adding gas or
laquer thinner to a water base will do, what about Lysol or another
alcohol?
--
Stupendous Man,

Try a small ultra-violet light.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 22:05:27 -0700, "Stupendous Man"
wrote:

My cool mist quit today and it had a load of snot in the tank clogging it
up. I am using a eco-non-anything coolmist koolaid and water, and had it all
washed out 3 months ago. I use it most of the time I am milling, but still
only need to fill it once or twice a month.
What are you guys using to kill bacteria? I don't think adding gas or laquer
thinner to a water base will do, what about Lysol or another alcohol?

Stick a fish tank bubbler stone in there with an air pump from the 2nd
hand store and run it a few hours a day.

Most coollant bacteria is anerobic and the bubbler kills it dead

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 05:51:31 GMT, the infamous "Harold and Susan
Vordos" scrawled the following:

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
My cool mist quit today and it had a load of snot in the tank clogging it
up. I am using a eco-non-anything coolmist koolaid and water, and had it
all washed out 3 months ago. I use it most of the time I am milling, but
still only need to fill it once or twice a month.
What are you guys using to kill bacteria? I don't think adding gas or
laquer thinner to a water base will do, what about Lysol or another
alcohol?
--
Stupendous Man,

Try a small ultra-violet light.

Yeah, man. Get a blacklight and watch the cool patterns in the mist.
thud Oops, I'm back. What was it you were saying, 'Arry?

Are you talking about the UV lights like they use to purify spas?

--
Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely.
-- Rodin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--Getcher self some antibacterial tablets. They're huge so you'll
want to crumble off a corner of one and chuck it in your coolant tank. I
think I got mine from DoAll. One tube of tablets will last a lifetime.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : "Hold on! we're passing
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : through the moronosphere!"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.c...-peroxide.html

This stuff is 12% concentration Hydrogen Peroxide.

Handle with care. Wear eye protection.
The stuff will burn you chemically.

Dump a little in the tank, swish it around and check it 24 hrs later.

Cautions listed: strong oxidizer, causes irritation, effects may be

What's that going to do to aluminum and steel?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stupendous Man wrote:

http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.c...-peroxide.html

This stuff is 12% concentration Hydrogen Peroxide.

Handle with care. Wear eye protection.
The stuff will burn you chemically.

(That is, if you happen to expose broken skin to it.
otherwise, normal precautions are sufficient.)

Dump a little in the tank, swish it around and check it 24 hrs later.

Cautions listed: strong oxidizer, causes irritation, effects may be

What's that going to do to aluminum and steel?

I'm guessing, not much.

If you dose conservatively, the liberated oxygen will be spent in
converting the organics to ash.
For example, I spray full-strength 12% H2O2 in my shower
from a bottle. The aluminum door track remains shiny.

The term 'strong oxidizer' is advice to folks who haven't used
a 'smoke wrench'.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

Yep! The air bubbler Gunner mentioned can be a good idea, too, assuming
the growth is anaerobic. Could probably control it with silver, too.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 09:22:28 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The air bubbler is found in a ****load of machine shops. Since I
service machinery for a living..and I tend to get covered with coolant
at times...how "buggy" it is is important to me. Some of the stuff on
shops that dont use any way to control bugs...its eaten the skin away
on my arms, top of my head etc.

I wear a hat a lot, or a "do-rag" when going into these machines,
because I really hate open sores on the top of my head...makes the
barber recoil a bit......

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies
and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

snip-----

Yep! The air bubbler Gunner mentioned can be a good idea, too, assuming
the growth is anaerobic. Could probably control it with silver, too.

Harold

The air bubbler is found in a ****load of machine shops. Since I
service machinery for a living..and I tend to get covered with coolant
at times...how "buggy" it is is important to me. Some of the stuff on
shops that dont use any way to control bugs...its eaten the skin away
on my arms, top of my head etc.

Assuming I ever get my house finished, I intend to get my Overbeck universal
grinder in operation. Coolant isn't a luxury with a grinder, it's
mandatory. I've heard a great deal about using a bubbler for coolant, and
intend to do just that----plus use Hocut for coolant. I figure that will
solve the riddle. I'm way familiar with stinky coolant.

I wear a hat a lot, or a "do-rag" when going into these machines,
because I really hate open sores on the top of my head...makes the
barber recoil a bit......

Chuckle!

So the barber is a light-weight? :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm using the little unit that only holds a half-gallon. I will order some
of the tablets. It sucks when the mister doesn't.
Thanks,
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
I'm using the little unit that only holds a half-gallon. I will order some
of the tablets. It sucks when the mister doesn't.
Thanks,
--
Stupendous Man,

I used to use one of those things-----but the damned residue would make the
quill on my Bridgeport so sticky it became hard to move. I'd drop it full
length, spray it with a chemical cleaner (industrial 409 type of stuff) and
run the quill up and down, dissolving the film. A good wipe down with a
clean cloth, then generous oiling would restore the feel of the quill. I
finally abandoned using the damned thing-----didn't like the deposit it left
on everything in the shop.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I used to use one of those things-----but the damned residue would make
the quill on my Bridgeport so sticky it became hard to move.

i only use it on steel, it makes the tools last longer.
I use Kerosene for aluminum, that cleans the machine up nicely.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you do this, keep your skin & eyes away from the UV - some (maybe all?)
short wavelength UV germicidal lamps will cause mutations / cancers.

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
High frequency UV, not the inexpensive black light type. These lamps can
be found in sterilizers and pond pumps.
Steve

news

Try a small ultra-violet light.

Harold

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
My cool mist quit today and it had a load of snot in the tank clogging
it up. I am using a eco-non-anything coolmist koolaid and water, and had
it all washed out 3 months ago. I use it most of the time I am milling,
but still only need to fill it once or twice a month.
What are you guys using to kill bacteria? I don't think adding gas or
laquer thinner to a water base will do, what about Lysol or another
alcohol?
--
Stupendous Man,

Mister of your Craft daclark Home Repair 0 July 22nd 06 12:54 AM
Mister of your Craft daclark Woodworking 0 July 22nd 06 12:52 AM
Patio mister info Rob Mills Home Repair 2 July 14th 05 03:05 AM
Mirror de-mister Ian Waddell UK diy 6 January 23rd 05 01:23 AM
mister Kenneth W. Sterling Metalworking 1 July 10th 03 02:25 AM