Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HF: ITC -- Inside Track Club -- $9.99

Awl --

Inyone join? Worth it?

I already have misgivings about my effing Costco membership, where I gotta
buy a pallet full of crap at about the same unit price as the crap in my
local supermarket.

I go to Costco mainly for the free food samples -- it's on the way to my
tooling supplier.

But, I must say, *some* of HF's stuff is priced "right".

For example, I searched high and low for clamp on multimeters/ammeters,
cheapest I could find was about $22. Bought a bunch.

Logged on to HF today, saw'em for $9.99!! And they also had much cheaper
regular digital multimeters than what I had been able to find.
Also, 24 pack of button cell batteries, $2.99!
wow....

Ditto casters -- they have by far the cheapest small swivel plate casters,
99c w/ 2" wheels, and slightly smaller, 4 for $1.69!! Discounted caster
warehouses don't even come close, and you'd think they would.

Graingers is surprisingly good, both price and variety, on casters. As good
as the discounted places, afaict.

But, a lot of other stuff, esp. name brand, is no great bargain at HF.

And their wetstone wheel, for I think $99 (on sale) can be had at Sears for
$30, and the Sears' is double-sided/reversible.

Eternal vigilance, I spose....

--
DT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DrollTroll wrote:

Awl --

Inyone join? Worth it?

Generally worthwhile if you have an HF store nearby. You can also
generally combine the ITC price with one of their coupons (sometimes
have to remind them that the ITC price is a sale price, not a coupon),
so you can get some exceptional bargains at times. Of course it means
another set of flyers to add to the bathroom reading material, and a
separate ITC section on the HF site to review in addition to the regular
sale section.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

DrollTroll wrote:

Awl --

Inyone join? Worth it?

Generally worthwhile if you have an HF store nearby. You can also
generally combine the ITC price with one of their coupons (sometimes
have to remind them that the ITC price is a sale price, not a coupon),
so you can get some exceptional bargains at times. Of course it means
another set of flyers to add to the bathroom reading material, and a
separate ITC section on the HF site to review in addition to the regular
sale section.

Becomes sort of a part time job, dudnit??

Up until recently I got the HF catalogs, and I actually put together a cupla
orders. But the prices would change so much, just keeping track of it all
brought out my OCD, and I wound up never ordering anything!
Too much chaos.

--
DT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DrollTroll wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

DrollTroll wrote:

Awl --

Inyone join? Worth it?

Generally worthwhile if you have an HF store nearby. You can also
generally combine the ITC price with one of their coupons (sometimes
have to remind them that the ITC price is a sale price, not a coupon),
so you can get some exceptional bargains at times. Of course it means
another set of flyers to add to the bathroom reading material, and a
separate ITC section on the HF site to review in addition to the regular
sale section.

Becomes sort of a part time job, dudnit??

Up until recently I got the HF catalogs, and I actually put together a cupla
orders. But the prices would change so much, just keeping track of it all
brought out my OCD, and I wound up never ordering anything!
Too much chaos.

Yea, especially when you have three different prices for an item in the
same flyer.

When you have a HF store nearby it's a big benefit since you can inspect
the item before buying, but even there I've had some surprises though
all have been good. On several occasions I've bought a larger item like
a mini mill, looking at the store display and deciding it was good
enough, and then finding when I got the crated unit home the unit in the
crate was noticeably nicer than the store display.

The HF store is about 60 miles from me, but along a loop I do roughly
once a month, so in the day or two before the trip I look through the
recent flyers, the regular sale and the ITRC sale sites to see if
anything I have a need or use for is on sale and make notes and/or print
pages.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default ITC -- Inside Track Club -- $9.99

"DrollTroll" wrote in message

Eternal vigilance, I spose....

Hey, I just heard they found a body stuffed in a suitcase up in Yonka's
today. That wasn't you, was it?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"DrollTroll" wrote in message

Eternal vigilance, I spose....

Hey, I just heard they found a body stuffed in a suitcase up in Yonka's
today. That wasn't you, was it?

You mean, me *in* the suitcase (which would indeed suggest that the internet
is everywhere), or me *stuffing* the suitcase??

Well, if it turns out it's jon banquer in that suitcase, I guess I'll have
to get my alibi together.

I didn't hear about it, just googled it, and yeah, me'n'the wife go runnin
at Tibbetts.

But, it looks like the body was dropped off there, not killed there.
And this is not at all the first time.
Usually they drop the bodies off at the north end of Tibbetts, from the
Cross County Parkway East -- stop'n'drop, if you will.

Yonkers is not yet like East or south central LA, but give it just a little
more time.
Which is surprising, cuz I woulda thought the Manhattan Yupsters woulda
over-run Yonkers some time ago. Even fuknNewark is becoming the artiste hot
spot, but somehow Yonkers gets side stepped.

I guess the homeyz (and the armies of illegals) here are dug in more firmly
than I thought.

I should proly run in Tibbets a little faster. And better armed.

--
DT

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

DrollTroll wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

DrollTroll wrote:

[...]

Yeah, what's up with dat??? It's maddening. Is that sloppiness, or some
marketing/informational-type strategy?

I think the closest store to NYC is about 30 mi away in NJ, and not a fun
ride, either, with about 15 tolls. Bummer.

Apparently, NYC is not *always* the center of the universe.

--
DT

When you have a HF store nearby it's a big benefit since you can inspect
the item before buying, but even there I've had some surprises though
all have been good. On several occasions I've bought a larger item like
a mini mill, looking at the store display and deciding it was good
enough, and then finding when I got the crated unit home the unit in the
crate was noticeably nicer than the store display.

The HF store is about 60 miles from me, but along a loop I do roughly
once a month, so in the day or two before the trip I look through the
recent flyers, the regular sale and the ITRC sale sites to see if
anything I have a need or use for is on sale and make notes and/or print
pages.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 16:53:03 -0400, "DrollTroll"
wrote:

For example, I searched high and low for clamp on multimeters/ammeters,
cheapest I could find was about $22. Bought a bunch.

Logged on to HF today, saw'em for $9.99!! And they also had much cheaper
regular digital multimeters than what I had been able to find.

The clamp ons are actually not bad at all. I keep one in the back of
my Chicago tool caddy as a spare for the Fluke. Works quite well

I bought a dozen or so of the small yellow DMMs for friends, family
and a few customers. They regularly go on sale for $3.99, and they
also work pretty well. Gate time is pretty slow...change the
voltage..it takes a half second to catch up...but all and all pretty
handy to stick in all the vehicles etc

Go by your 99c store and buy a tupperwear type container the size of
the meter and keep it in it with a spare battery

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 19:52:32 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

DrollTroll wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

DrollTroll wrote:

[...]

This coming weekend is Sidewalk Sale at most HF stores

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 00:44:02 -0400, "DrollTroll"
wrote:

I think the closest store to NYC is about 30 mi away in NJ, and not a fun
ride, either, with about 15 tolls. Bummer.

Apparently, NYC is not *always* the center of the universe.

Its actually the ass end of the universe.

If they were going to give the planet an enema..NYC is where they
would put the hose.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DrollTroll" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"DrollTroll" wrote in message

Eternal vigilance, I spose....

Hey, I just heard they found a body stuffed in a suitcase up in Yonka's
today. That wasn't you, was it?

You mean, me *in* the suitcase (which would indeed suggest that the
internet is everywhere), or me *stuffing* the suitcase??

Either way. I wasn't making any assumptions.

Well, if it turns out it's jon banquer in that suitcase, I guess I'll have
to get my alibi together.

I didn't hear about it, just googled it, and yeah, me'n'the wife go runnin
at Tibbetts.

But, it looks like the body was dropped off there, not killed there.
And this is not at all the first time.
Usually they drop the bodies off at the north end of Tibbetts, from the
Cross County Parkway East -- stop'n'drop, if you will.

This sounds like a Jersey job to me. If the body was hacked up and packed
like chicken parts, you can count on it. See if the giblets were wrapped in
wax paper and stuffed up the butt. That's a sure sign.

Yonkers is not yet like East or south central LA, but give it just a
little more time.

Hey, when I lived in Mt. Vernon, 51 years ago, I could see Yonkers out my
bedroom window but the only reason anyone went there was to go to the
harness track. Now, I wouldn't go into either place on a dare.

Which is surprising, cuz I woulda thought the Manhattan Yupsters woulda
over-run Yonkers some time ago. Even fuknNewark is becoming the artiste
hot spot, but somehow Yonkers gets side stepped.

It probably will happen, but it's been set back by the financial meltdown.
Artists are not a reliable base for that kind of thing. You need a lot of
overpaid hacks from lower Manhatten to make it work. That's what happened to
Hoboken and Jersey City. The first step is to get a luxury ferry between
Yonkers and the Water Street docks, with waiters and white-linen cocktail
service.

I guess the homeyz (and the armies of illegals) here are dug in more
firmly than I thought.

I should proly run in Tibbets a little faster. And better armed.

Good luck.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

This coming weekend is Sidewalk Sale at most HF stores

The same day as our 'Quarterly Memorial' at our local Veteran's park,
and the grand opening of the new Operation Shoebox location. They
outgrew the last location in less than a year, and are shooting for
35,000 packages to be packed & shipped to our overseas troops before
Christmas.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DrollTroll wrote:

[...]

Do you get the weekly E-mail specials?

http://www.harborfreight22.com/MailPreferences/

You get a couple dozen unadvertised offers, and a link to more
coupons:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html...a_cpnsave.html has 85
coupons this week.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

Its actually the ass end of the universe.

If they were going to give the planet an enema..NYC is where they
would put the hose.

Close, Newark, NJ.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

Its actually the ass end of the universe.

If they were going to give the planet an enema..NYC is where they
would put the hose.

Close, Newark, NJ.

Well, Taft, CA already has the holes in the ground, and from all reports,
nobody there would notice.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

Its actually the ass end of the universe.

If they were going to give the planet an enema..NYC is where they
would put the hose.

Close, Newark, NJ.

Well, getting closer:
Camden, NJ.

One of the poorest districts on the East Coast. Where ahm movin to!
Soon....

A Vig-Net:

Before the construction of the WTC (which **decimated** whole vibrant
neighborhoods, in particular "Radio Row" -- absolute heaven for many of the
people here), NYC -- Manhattan in particular -- was really a great place,
for *everyone*.

A dert-cheap subway system, many cultural centers/communities (all
super-affordable), and yet still coexisting with fuknWall Street.
Museums were plentiful *and free*, jazz was smokin' in both Harlem and on
Jazz Row (the W. 50's), paradoxically right above the Diamond District in
the W. 40's.

A mix of abandoned/non-abandoned piers throughout the city/island, a
fascinating blend of industry, artists, workers, residents.
By City College in Harlem, you had *foundries* and machine shops!!

Canal Street was Used Machinery/Surplus/Electromechanical heaven! Grand
Machinery was filled with BPs, LeBlondes, Monarchs, Colchesters, you name
it.

Juilliard was, up until the 90's, just short of 125th and B'way!!
But of course *had* to move to Lincoln Center.

Not far away, in the Bronx, you still had vestiges of farms, in the '70s,
80's!!
Indeed, nyc was little up the in the crime stats, as even in its "affordable
heydey", it was a little concentrated population-wise.

In the other boroughs, you had fascinating "hot spots", like Ridgewood,
Queens, which in just a few square-mile area was THE knitting capitol/mecca
of *the world*. In the 80's!! And proly as many machine shops then as
there are liquor stores/fast food ****houses today.

And no doubt a lot of other stuff I don't know about.

Then came Mayor Guiliani (god help the world if dat mutha****a ever becomes
president).

Then fuknDeNiro discovered 14th Street, destroyed Tribeca, fukn Bubba Bill
decided to move his office to/get blown at 125th St, and Brownstones that
nyc was *giving away for $1* (no foolin), became $1 Mil, almost overnight.
A number of my coworkers got these brownstones f'dat dollar, and man, are
they sitting pretty now.

In the 60's, West Village apts could be had for less than $50 a month, East
Village cheaper than that!
Westside apts for $50-300/mo. And hyooge!

In SoHo, before the artists cornered the market, 5,000 sq ft lofts could be
had for under $50/mo. The Artistes nixed this, however.

Artists are, in principle, assholes not unlike Wall Street assholes, usually
living on a sizable allowance from dey parents, so's they can "express
themselves" 24/7.

Bad for "real" real estate, but not as bad as the Wall Street predators,
DeNiro's, and their moneyed/entitled/speculative ilk.

Now, mutha****as are paying millions for those *same* apartments. A little
beyond the normal inflation rate, I think.

What happened??
The curse of the "perception of hipness", amongst entitled moneyed
philistines, the subsequent speculation, greed, and municipal manipulation,
the Gift of Guiliani and Bloomberg.

Speculation/manipulation destroyed NYC for the working family. The same
speculation that tripled energy rates in CA.

Which we are all ultimately responsible for, because we so willingly
tolerate an un-accountable government/system of """representation"""".
Cuz, well, we're so wrapped up in ourselves, so addicted to pointless
mind****ing entertainment, and whatever other self-preoccupations we may
have.

So, if NYC is the asshole of the planet, it's one highly perfumed and
expensive asshole, yo.

I believe we are shipping our artists with smaller allowances to Newark, and
the outright poor to Camden.

--
DT, in Yonkers, NY, 10 mi from Lincoln Center -- 10 min, if no traffic.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

Its actually the ass end of the universe.

If they were going to give the planet an enema..NYC is where they
would put the hose.

Close, Newark, NJ.

Well, getting closer:
Camden, NJ.

One of the poorest districts on the East Coast. Where ahm movin to!
Soon....

I hope you're kidding. But if you're not, there's one thing you won't have
to worry about in Camden: Nobody is going to try gentrifying it in our
lifetimes. They'd have to clean up all the lead, for one thing.

It's an alarming place in many ways. The mayor sits armed in his home, and
had to pull a gun on someone a couple of years ago.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Camden, NJ!!! HF: ITC -- Inside Track Club -- $9.99

"Wes" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

Its actually the ass end of the universe.

If they were going to give the planet an enema..NYC is where they
would put the hose.

Close, Newark, NJ.

Well, getting closer:
Camden, NJ.

One of the poorest districts on the East Coast. Where ahm movin to!
Soon....

I hope you're kidding. But if you're not, there's one thing you won't have
to worry about in Camden: Nobody is going to try gentrifying it in our
lifetimes. They'd have to clean up all the lead, for one thing.

It's an alarming place in many ways. The mayor sits armed in his home, and
had to pull a gun on someone a couple of years ago.

I guess dats why the wife is telling me to send her a postcard!

There's an on-again/off-again regular on amc who lives right outside of
Camden -- Laurelton, iirc -- who sez it's not that bad.

But I suspect, judging from other areas in NJ without nearly the rep, that
it might very well be that bad. So, OK, mebbe not Camden.

NJ, I'm told, is in general like NYS, a miserable (read: administratively
hostile/expensive) effing place to conduct bidniss.
Your bidness is grass, and the state/local municipality is the lawnmower.

Of course, NYS is the worst, and in fact has lost a lot of business to NJ.
NY is second only to Hawaii in overall expense, and at least Hawaii has a
3,000 mile excuse.

But still, NJ has absolutely deee-licious industrial areas, big brick
fortress-like industrial buildings.

Mebbe Delaware, Maryland, or proly PA.

The fuknYupsters have speculated much of the East Coast out of contention,
so mebbe all's that's left is Camden and PA, and PA only because it's inward
a little.

But, if I wind up any broke-er, Camden it will be!!

My prediction is that real estate will hobble a little for a cupla years,
but then it will be off again to the races, cuz, well, making real estate
fundamentally unavailable to the masses is second only to a food/water
shortage in efficiently and effectively ****ing them clear up their
ileocecal valves.
And also a lot subtler.

And, what would Cable be, without its litany of mind****ing home shows?
Doesn't everyone need a 3-story stained glass cathedral ceiling in their
bathrooms, so's they can **** in religious epiphany??

It will not stop until the working class -- what's left of them -- will have
to commute, long distance, to mind-numbing jobs from military-style
barracks, replete with triplex or quadriplex bunk beds.

We'll be sleeping the same way ParkFast parks cars in Manhattan: in stacks.

--
DT, Sleepless -- and broke -- in Yonkers. And cramping.....

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 04:30:37 -0400, Wes wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Its actually the ass end of the universe.

If they were going to give the planet an enema..NYC is where they
would put the hose.

Close, Newark, NJ.

Wes

Ok...Newark is a fistula.

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies
and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

[...]

Without getting into a travelogue, I thought you meant you'd be right *in*
Camden. That's a hellhole, South Jersey's version of Patterson or Trenton.
Nobody I know goes there on purpose. But, surprisingly, most of the suburbs
are very nice. Choose carefully. They come in several flavors, from old
blue-collar to the full-yuppie version.

There's Camden, then a thin row of suburbs, and then there's South Jersey,
which is the rest of it. I was born in South Jersey. It's rural -- truck
farms -- with housing developments sprouting up all over like milkweeds. If
you like rural places, there are lots of places you'll find to like not far
from Camden. Otherwise, you'll think of it the same way most New Yorkers
think of it: a flat, sandy wasteland overrun with eggplants and tomatoes.
The truth is in the perception.

But I suspect, judging from other areas in NJ without nearly the rep, that
it might very well be that bad. So, OK, mebbe not Camden.

Not Camden. Not *in* Camden, at least. Somewhere outside of Camden.

NJ, I'm told, is in general like NYS, a miserable (read: administratively
hostile/expensive) effing place to conduct bidniss.
Your bidness is grass, and the state/local municipality is the lawnmower.

It's a mixed bag. After two Republican administrations (Kean and Whitman),
it got a lot better for business. We drew in the biggest pharma companies in
the world, and lots of little ones and other research centers, with good tax
deals for them. The Democrats in that office backslid somewhat. But the
state is so fouled up that it's in a financial crisis right now, so it's
anybody's guess how it will come out. Having a financial whiz for governor
(Corzine, a Dem) has helped everyone to see the underlying reality, and it
ain't pretty. But he's not a magician. He inherited one hell of a mess. When
he tells people how it really is, which he's been doing a lot, he has to
duck behind a piece of armor plate.

Don't count on anything long-term. It's all in flux.

Of course, NYS is the worst, and in fact has lost a lot of business to NJ.
NY is second only to Hawaii in overall expense, and at least Hawaii has a
3,000 mile excuse.

But still, NJ has absolutely deee-licious industrial areas, big brick
fortress-like industrial buildings.

Mebbe Delaware, Maryland, or proly PA.

I like all three, and I've lived in both PA and MD at different times.
Delaware, though, is booooring...

What I like now is Virginia, especially 'way out where my son is, in
Lexington. You really have to like the outdoors, though, to appreciate those
parts of it. One thing that redeems it is that there are lots of small
college towns, so there's something else going on besides milking contests.

The fuknYupsters have speculated much of the East Coast out of contention,
so mebbe all's that's left is Camden and PA, and PA only because it's
inward a little.

PA is desolate a little. Get out of the cities, and you're in the woods. I
like that (I lived in the woods near Bloomsburg, which has no known
connections to the rest of the universe). But not everybody does. I've been
trying to move to PA for 30 years, but my wife knows too much about what
it's like to go for it.

[...]

LOL! You really do need to get out of Yonkers more. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 10:49:36 -0400, "DrollTroll"
wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

Its actually the ass end of the universe.

If they were going to give the planet an enema..NYC is where they
would put the hose.

Close, Newark, NJ.

Well, getting closer:
Camden, NJ.

One of the poorest districts on the East Coast. Where ahm movin to!
Soon....

Perhaps you can find a vintage set of Harder Homes and Gardens on
Ebay? This would enable you to fortify and armor your home and shop,
and teach you the basic theory about the best ways to interlock fields
of fire, concertina and mine fields used in conjuction with each
other.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 13:00:19 -0400, "DrollTroll"
wrote:

The fuknYupsters have speculated much of the East Coast out of contention,
so mebbe all's that's left is Camden and PA, and PA only because it's inward
a little.

But, if I wind up any broke-er, Camden it will be!!

My prediction is that real estate will hobble a little for a cupla years,
but then it will be off again to the races, cuz, well, making real estate
fundamentally unavailable to the masses is second only to a food/water
shortage in efficiently and effectively ****ing them clear up their
ileocecal valves.
And also a lot subtler.

I suspect, with absolutely nothing tangible to back up my gut feeling,
that real estate prices will continue to fall...in some places
precipitously....as the economy shakes and shimmies into a new
equilibrium.

One notes that illegal immigration is slowing down dramatically...they
are not coming over the borders in droves anymore because they are
becoming increasingly unable to find work, and are facing increased
pressure from ICE and local governments in many locations.

I drive on Interstate 5, one of the main freeways leading through
California down to Mexico..and Im seeing a LOT of piled high! Okie
Rigs, loaded down with household items, headed south to Mexico each
day.

I Pray the trend continues. It should be noted, at the least in
California, the Illegals enabled homeowners to upgrade to bigger and
newer homes. The homeowner could rent their home out, have a regular
income that could be used to pay for their new mortgage, or sell and
have a downpayment. Once the buyers/renter pool starts to dry up...the
prices should be going down, or the banks get the houses and are
forced to dispose of them at steep discounts...IE a glut on the market
of housing, both rental and for sale.

There are an estimated 20=30 million illegals in the US..and if even a
significant fraction of them go South...their residences will be
vacated.

If companies go tits up..their industrial properties will be vacant as
well. I see many thousands of business properties up for
lease/rent/sale here in California...and being that way for several
years so far, with no expectation of them being taken anytime soon.

Shrug...Im not an economist, but have a tiny bit of country boy common
sense, which may not apply to big city stuff...but it generally
appears to me, that when there are too much stuff..prices always go
down

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies
and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

Without getting into a travelogue, I thought you meant you'd be right
*in* Camden. That's a hellhole, South Jersey's version of Patterson
or Trenton. Nobody I know goes there on purpose.

My latest addition is an immigrant from Patterson.
He's Italian.

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

Without getting into a travelogue, I thought you meant you'd be right
*in* Camden. That's a hellhole, South Jersey's version of Patterson
or Trenton. Nobody I know goes there on purpose.

My latest addition is an immigrant from Patterson.
He's Italian.

In NJ, we call those people "escapees." g

It's too bad. Patterson is America's first industrial city. Alexander
Hamilton built it more or less from scratch, financing a system of water
raceways from Patterson's Great Falls, which ran water-powered factories
that lined the raceways. It had three or four generations of industry,
starting with textile mills that used the machinery plans stolen from
England. Patterson is where Rogers Locomotive Works was located.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in
message ...

"Wes" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

Without getting into a travelogue, I thought you meant you'd be
right *in* Camden. That's a hellhole, South Jersey's version of
Patterson or Trenton. Nobody I know goes there on purpose.

My latest addition is an immigrant from Patterson.
He's Italian.

In NJ, we call those people "escapees." g

And here in California we call them refugees Ed.
head shake

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

[...]

The last time I was in Camden (always by missing a turn around the Ben
Franklin Bridge) it looked better, with live people moving about,
sitting on the steps visiting, playing chess... That was about 2004
or so.

Of course, the Thumbian I was taking to Bookbinder's was wishing for a
Hummer with twin .50's. Like my son said about Michigan folks, "They
may be yankees, but some are the damnedest rednecks I've ever met."
This one checks his handgun at the plant gate on the way in to work
during trapping season.

The time before was about 1980, and it looked like nothing but burned
out buildings, broken windows, and few winos or bodies propped up in
doorways here and there.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The latter sounds more like the Camden we know and love not. But things may
have gotten better. They surely couldn't get any worse.

It's like the town that time forgot. Everybody moved out, except those who
had nowhere else to go.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

Its actually the ass end of the universe.

If they were going to give the planet an enema..NYC is where they
would put the hose.

Close, Newark, NJ.

Well, getting closer:
Camden, NJ.

One of the poorest districts on the East Coast. Where ahm movin to!
Soon....

Perhaps you can find a vintage set of Harder Homes and Gardens on
Ebay? This would enable you to fortify and armor your home and shop,
and teach you the basic theory about the best ways to interlock fields
of fire, concertina and mine fields used in conjuction with each
other.

"Better shack and swamp" ?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 10:02:37 -0400, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

"Wes" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

Its actually the ass end of the universe.

If they were going to give the planet an enema..NYC is where they
would put the hose.

Close, Newark, NJ.

Well, Taft, CA already has the holes in the ground, and from all reports,
nobody there would notice.

Except one particular county inspector, eh?

--
Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely.
-- Rodin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Wes" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

Its actually the ass end of the universe.

If they were going to give the planet an enema..NYC is where they
would put the hose.

Close, Newark, NJ.

Well, getting closer:
Camden, NJ.

One of the poorest districts on the East Coast. Where ahm movin to!
Soon....

Perhaps you can find a vintage set of Harder Homes and Gardens on
Ebay? This would enable you to fortify and armor your home and shop,
and teach you the basic theory about the best ways to interlock fields
of fire, concertina and mine fields used in conjuction with each
other.

"Better shack and swamp" ?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

http://2012base.com/Survival_Bunkers...ur_Own_Bunker/

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...strations.html

http://www.paperlessarchives.com/fm_s_1954-1962.html

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...103/index.html

and most importantly,,,,,

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...0-1/index.html

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies
and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

Its actually the ass end of the universe.

If they were going to give the planet an enema..NYC is where they
would put the hose.

Close, Newark, NJ.

Well, Taft, CA already has the holes in the ground, and from all reports,
nobody there would notice.

Except one particular county inspector, eh?

All nice and tidy now..least whats visible from the outside of the
compound. They are happy. So am I.

Gunner

"Obama, raises taxes and kills babies. Sarah Palin - raises babies
and kills taxes." Pyotr Flipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 21:10:59 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

"Wes" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

Its actually the ass end of the universe.

If they were going to give the planet an enema..NYC is where they
would put the hose.

Close, Newark, NJ.

Well, Taft, CA already has the holes in the ground, and from all reports,
nobody there would notice.

Except one particular county inspector, eh?

All nice and tidy now..least whats visible from the outside of the
compound. They are happy. So am I.

So, what method did you end up using in putting in the rollup door?

--
Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely.
-- Rodin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

Its actually the ass end of the universe.

If they were going to give the planet an enema..NYC is where they
would put the hose.

Close, Newark, NJ.

Well, Taft, CA already has the holes in the ground, and from all reports,
nobody there would notice.

Except one particular county inspector, eh?

All nice and tidy now..least whats visible from the outside of the
compound. They are happy. So am I.

So, what method did you end up using in putting in the rollup door?

I put it up, backwards. Cemented in posts on either side of the
entryway, welded unistrut to the posts for tracks and mounted the roll
on the OUTSIDE of the shop. There simply wasnt any room to put the
roll on the inside. Actually deosnt look too bad. I did put all the
hardware, locks..on the inside and used the slots in the unistrut as
the locking slots for the sliding locking bars. Ill post a couple
pictures this evening..the Ex has my truck at the moment with both
cameras in it.

Gunner

DHS CLUB [email protected] Woodworking 0 June 1st 06 11:05 AM
DHS CLUB [email protected] Home Repair 0 June 1st 06 11:05 AM
DHS CLUB [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 June 1st 06 10:56 AM
Woodturning club? Bob Woofter Woodturning 5 January 9th 06 12:40 AM
WWJ Book Club Ray Woodworking 7 May 3rd 05 04:08 AM