Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DrollTroll DrollTroll is offline

Default HF: ITC -- Inside Track Club -- $9.99

"Wes" wrote in message
Gunner wrote:

Its actually the ass end of the universe.

If they were going to give the planet an enema..NYC is where they
would put the hose.

Close, Newark, NJ.

Well, getting closer:
Camden, NJ.

One of the poorest districts on the East Coast. Where ahm movin to!
Soon....

A Vig-Net:

Before the construction of the WTC (which **decimated** whole vibrant
neighborhoods, in particular "Radio Row" -- absolute heaven for many of the
people here), NYC -- Manhattan in particular -- was really a great place,
for *everyone*.

A dert-cheap subway system, many cultural centers/communities (all
super-affordable), and yet still coexisting with fuknWall Street.
Museums were plentiful *and free*, jazz was smokin' in both Harlem and on
Jazz Row (the W. 50's), paradoxically right above the Diamond District in
the W. 40's.

A mix of abandoned/non-abandoned piers throughout the city/island, a
fascinating blend of industry, artists, workers, residents.
By City College in Harlem, you had *foundries* and machine shops!!

Canal Street was Used Machinery/Surplus/Electromechanical heaven! Grand
Machinery was filled with BPs, LeBlondes, Monarchs, Colchesters, you name
it.

Juilliard was, up until the 90's, just short of 125th and B'way!!
But of course *had* to move to Lincoln Center.

Not far away, in the Bronx, you still had vestiges of farms, in the '70s,
80's!!
Indeed, nyc was little up the in the crime stats, as even in its "affordable
heydey", it was a little concentrated population-wise.

In the other boroughs, you had fascinating "hot spots", like Ridgewood,
Queens, which in just a few square-mile area was THE knitting capitol/mecca
of *the world*. In the 80's!! And proly as many machine shops then as
there are liquor stores/fast food ****houses today.

And no doubt a lot of other stuff I don't know about.

Then came Mayor Guiliani (god help the world if dat mutha****a ever becomes
president).

Then fuknDeNiro discovered 14th Street, destroyed Tribeca, fukn Bubba Bill
decided to move his office to/get blown at 125th St, and Brownstones that
nyc was *giving away for $1* (no foolin), became $1 Mil, almost overnight.
A number of my coworkers got these brownstones f'dat dollar, and man, are
they sitting pretty now.

In the 60's, West Village apts could be had for less than $50 a month, East
Village cheaper than that!
Westside apts for $50-300/mo. And hyooge!

In SoHo, before the artists cornered the market, 5,000 sq ft lofts could be
had for under $50/mo. The Artistes nixed this, however.

Artists are, in principle, assholes not unlike Wall Street assholes, usually
living on a sizable allowance from dey parents, so's they can "express
themselves" 24/7.

Bad for "real" real estate, but not as bad as the Wall Street predators,
DeNiro's, and their moneyed/entitled/speculative ilk.

Now, mutha****as are paying millions for those *same* apartments. A little
beyond the normal inflation rate, I think.

What happened??
The curse of the "perception of hipness", amongst entitled moneyed
philistines, the subsequent speculation, greed, and municipal manipulation,
the Gift of Guiliani and Bloomberg.

Speculation/manipulation destroyed NYC for the working family. The same
speculation that tripled energy rates in CA.

Which we are all ultimately responsible for, because we so willingly
tolerate an un-accountable government/system of """representation"""".
Cuz, well, we're so wrapped up in ourselves, so addicted to pointless
mind****ing entertainment, and whatever other self-preoccupations we may
have.

So, if NYC is the asshole of the planet, it's one highly perfumed and
expensive asshole, yo.

I believe we are shipping our artists with smaller allowances to Newark, and
the outright poor to Camden.

--
DT, in Yonkers, NY, 10 mi from Lincoln Center -- 10 min, if no traffic.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller