Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT since it isn't political. inner tubes

I find myself with a 72 Ford van that has 225X75R15 tires. The tread is
good but the tubeless things don't hold much air. 15" tires seem to have
gone the way of the Dodo. I would like to try some inner tubes but have had
trouble finding those also. Any sources for inner tubes that would fit my
tires?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 16, 10:24 am, "Stuart Fields" wrote:
I find myself with a 72 Ford van that has 225X75R15 tires. The tread is
good but the tubeless things don't hold much air. 15" tires seem to have
gone the way of the Dodo. I would like to try some inner tubes but have had
trouble finding those also. Any sources for inner tubes that would fit my
tires?

Depending on where its losing air, you might not want to run tubes (or
anything).
Unless this is just a rolling storage barn that doesn't see the road.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I find myself with a 72 Ford van that has 225X75R15 tires. The tread is
good but the tubeless things don't hold much air. 15" tires seem to have
gone the way of the Dodo. I would like to try some inner tubes but have
had trouble finding those also. Any sources for inner tubes that would fit
my tires?

I just orderred 15" tubes from Bumper to Bumper about a month ago. Not a
stock item, but it came in a few days.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 07:24:03 -0700, "Stuart Fields"
wrote:

I find myself with a 72 Ford van that has 225X75R15 tires. The tread is
good but the tubeless things don't hold much air. 15" tires seem to have
gone the way of the Dodo. I would like to try some inner tubes but have had
trouble finding those also. Any sources for inner tubes that would fit my
tires?

Are you going to start driving it again, or just looking to keep it
off the rims in storage? If it's just storage or farm use, any decent
tire shop can order up radial rated inner tubes, they do exist.

If you plan to drive this on the road, the loss of air is trying to
tell you the tires are rotten - the next warning is when one old tire
grenades at 65 MPH and sends you barrel-rolling into the ditch.

If you can't afford or justify new tires for a farm truck, go to a
tire store and get some take-off tires. People will toss a set with
10,000 miles left and buy new tires because they're "going on a trip",
and those old tires are fine for trailers and light duty uses.

And sometimes you get lucky - Some schlub buys a new car and buys a
set of 20" rims and 50-series tires, and you can buy a set of stock
rims and nearly new tires for a song.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stuart Fields wrote:
I find myself with a 72 Ford van that has 225X75R15 tires. The tread is
good but the tubeless things don't hold much air. 15" tires seem to have
gone the way of the Dodo. I would like to try some inner tubes but have had
trouble finding those also. Any sources for inner tubes that would fit my
tires?

Just toss some 235/75 R 15s on it. They are available just about
anywhere. I just tossed 8 of them with legal tread yesterday. (put new
ones on both vehicles in preparation for the upcoming weather)

If yours are leaking down and it isn't rusted bead leaks or bad valve
stems they are failing and will get worse. Tubes are available for
radial tires BUT they are about 20-30 bucks each and cause the tire to
wear faster because of the extra heat generated while using them.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Stuart Fields wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all. I found a tube for $12 and this is going into my spare.
This van never gets above 50 and is used to haul garbage to the dump some 8
miles away. I will say the electrics and the paint with this 36 year old
vehicle are holding up much better than my 11 year old Dodge pickup. The
302 Ford engine is nearing 200,000.
Another question popped up: 8ply trailer tires. What is the down side of
useing them? I can find them in the 225x75D15 size for reasonable costs.

Stu

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:04:55 -0700, "Stuart Fields"
wrote:

Thanks to all. I found a tube for $12 and this is going into my spare.
This van never gets above 50 and is used to haul garbage to the dump some 8
miles away. I will say the electrics and the paint with this 36 year old
vehicle are holding up much better than my 11 year old Dodge pickup. The
302 Ford engine is nearing 200,000.
Another question popped up: 8ply trailer tires. What is the down side of
useing them? I can find them in the 225x75D15 size for reasonable costs.

They'll work, but Not going to stick (corner or stop) worth a darn.
And if the van doesn't need 8-ply, they'll ride like a buckboard.

Trailer tires are designed for going in a straight line or taking
passive cornering without squirming, and a very hard ozone-resistant
compound for long life over performance.

Go look for a set of nice take-off Light Truck tires, and leave
Special Trailer tires to trailers.

-- Bruce --
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

And if you get caught with trailer tires on a passenger vehicle on a
public road... Hope you have a DEEP wallet. They are illegal. Just
another reason not to use them.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Radiant tubes in a concrete/mud slab vs mounting the tubes under the sub floor. [email protected] Home Repair 1 June 4th 07 06:37 AM
OT Political Eric R Snow Metalworking 0 September 23rd 05 12:57 AM
OT Political tony1158 Woodworking 37 October 28th 04 08:42 PM
political shoutdowns willshak Home Repair 3 October 13th 04 09:27 PM