Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman Bruce L. Bergman is offline

Default OT since it isn't political. inner tubes

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 07:24:03 -0700, "Stuart Fields"
wrote:

I find myself with a 72 Ford van that has 225X75R15 tires. The tread is
good but the tubeless things don't hold much air. 15" tires seem to have
gone the way of the Dodo. I would like to try some inner tubes but have had
trouble finding those also. Any sources for inner tubes that would fit my
tires?

Are you going to start driving it again, or just looking to keep it
off the rims in storage? If it's just storage or farm use, any decent
tire shop can order up radial rated inner tubes, they do exist.

If you plan to drive this on the road, the loss of air is trying to
tell you the tires are rotten - the next warning is when one old tire
grenades at 65 MPH and sends you barrel-rolling into the ditch.

If you can't afford or justify new tires for a farm truck, go to a
tire store and get some take-off tires. People will toss a set with
10,000 miles left and buy new tires because they're "going on a trip",
and those old tires are fine for trailers and light duty uses.

And sometimes you get lucky - Some schlub buys a new car and buys a
set of 20" rims and 50-series tires, and you can buy a set of stock
rims and nearly new tires for a song.

-- Bruce --