Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gloat and brag

Gloat first...
Don't know if I mentioned this but a couple of weeks ago I picked up a 2-8-2
Mikado work in progress from the estate sale of long time GGLS member and
former IBLS west coast secretary Dick Thomas.... It's a rolling frame (pilot
truck,drivers, trailing truck) with the saddle/cylinders/valves finished and
mounted, plus all the unfinished casting to complete it, (rods, link blocks,
bla,bla,bla) this is from the Railroad Supply castings and all work to date
is "Class A". I won't say the price, but it was less than half of what the
castings alone cost.

Brag next...
My birthday was also last week (don't ask how old.. too old)... and I was
bitching to my wife that I had to weld up a stand for this beast and wasn't
looking foreword to it, I just have a 20 year old funky welding mask for my
MIG. Sooo.. my B-Day comes and in with the sixpack of MicroBrew she also
gives me a 12 inch square card board box.... I open it and ... damned if the
woman didn't hit the welding store and buy me a top of the line Jackson Boss
auto dimming helmet, even sprung the bucks for the big window... For those
of you who weld and don't have an auto-dim all I can say is go buy one! Man
it sure is slick... I zapped that stand together in record time.

And the brag ain't about the helmet, it's about having a wife who buys you
cool stuff like this. :-)

--.- Dave

"You can tell the rich live steamers, they are the ones with two or more
unfinished locomotives in their shops".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Just don't forget to pay your SO back with interest. She let you buy that
worthless piece of junk, tolerates you wasting your time on it, and still
remembers your B'day. You got yourself a keeper.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave August" wrote:
[...]

Does she have a sister?

And yes, a nice auto dimming helmet makes it all so much easier! Even a
cheap HF bottom of the line auto-dim unit is better than no auto dimming in
my book.

--
Curt Welch http://CurtWelch.Com/
http://NewsReader.Com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave August" wrote in message
Gloat first...
Don't know if I mentioned this but a couple of weeks ago I picked up a
2-8-2 Mikado work in progress from the estate sale of long time GGLS
member and former IBLS west coast secretary Dick Thomas

I knew Dick. One of the nicest guys you could ask to meet. He'll be sorely
missed.

And the brag ain't about the helmet, it's about having a wife who buys you
cool stuff like this. :-)

I hear that! I've commented, below. You're one lucky dude! I have a
hunch she's pretty damned lucky to have you, too.

Congrats on the new toys.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

Just don't forget to pay your SO back with interest. She let you buy that
worthless piece of junk, tolerates you wasting your time on it, and still
remembers your B'day. You got yourself a keeper.

Karl

Damned straight! Women like that don't come along every day.

Mine is much the same. I'm entertaining the idea of buying a HAAS CNC mill,
used. The boss is encouraging me all the way----I'm the one that's
hesitating. She's been such a great wife that I'm concerned about
spending money that she may need when I'm gone. I'm 13 years older than she
is. If things continue working well, she's going to pass my probationary
period. Been married 31 years now, she's getting close. :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 03:11:06 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

Just don't forget to pay your SO back with interest. She let you buy that
worthless piece of junk, tolerates you wasting your time on it, and still
remembers your B'day. You got yourself a keeper.

Karl

Damned straight! Women like that don't come along every day.

Mine is much the same. I'm entertaining the idea of buying a HAAS CNC mill,
used. The boss is encouraging me all the way----I'm the one that's
hesitating. She's been such a great wife that I'm concerned about
spending money that she may need when I'm gone. I'm 13 years older than she
is. If things continue working well, she's going to pass my probationary
period. Been married 31 years now, she's getting close. :-)

Harold

We've been living our separate lives together for 46 years today.
Working in construction supervision, I was seldom at home for any
length of time until I retire in '94, so she had to be pretty much
self sufficient.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Happy anniversary, Gerry. Many more, too!

If you're anything like me, she's a good woman to have put up with you for
all those years! :-)

'94, eh? Must have been a good year to retire. I did the same thing, a
few months shy of my 55th birthday.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yeah Dick was one of the good ones...

I'm a 15 year member of GGLS and had many good times with him, we played
trains every where from Bitter Creek and Western to Train Mountain :-)

The *other* locomotive I'm working on was one of the logging Mikes he and
SteveVitkovis designed (and later sold to RRWH), Dick was one of the ones
who said "make it your own" and though it was pretty cool that I stretched
the frame on that to make a 2-10-2 Minaret out of it.

Yeah My wife and I are pretty lucky to have found each other... After she
got her Instrument Rating and was waffeling a bit on buying the 182 I was
the one telling her "its only money" :-)

--.- Dave

. net...

"Dave August" wrote in message
Gloat first...
Don't know if I mentioned this but a couple of weeks ago I picked up a
2-8-2 Mikado work in progress from the estate sale of long time GGLS
member and former IBLS west coast secretary Dick Thomas

I knew Dick. One of the nicest guys you could ask to meet. He'll be
sorely missed.

And the brag ain't about the helmet, it's about having a wife who buys
you cool stuff like this. :-)

I hear that! I've commented, below. You're one lucky dude! I have a
hunch she's pretty damned lucky to have you, too.

Congrats on the new toys.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

Mine is much the same. I'm entertaining the idea of buying a HAAS CNC mill,
used. The boss is encouraging me all the way----I'm the one that's
hesitating. She's been such a great wife that I'm concerned about
spending money that she may need when I'm gone. I'm 13 years older than she
is. If things continue working well, she's going to pass my probationary
period. Been married 31 years now, she's getting close. :-)

Buying for fun or doing some production work? Does she have an interest in learning?

Drive a hard bargain so she can get the money back if you go silent key.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 05:56:54 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

Happy anniversary, Gerry. Many more, too!

If you're anything like me, she's a good woman to have put up with you for
all those years! :-)

'94, eh? Must have been a good year to retire. I did the same thing, a
few months shy of my 55th birthday.

Harold

Two days after mine - it was a dark day in Toronto the day I retired
(total eclipse of the sun May 11 '94. I went to work, had breakfast, a
coffee at my desk then put together a box of personal stuff and took
it out to the van and just kept on going).
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Happy anniversary, Gerry. Many more, too!

If you're anything like me, she's a good woman to have put up with you for
all those years! :-)

'94, eh? Must have been a good year to retire. I did the same thing, a
few months shy of my 55th birthday.

Harold

Two days after mine - it was a dark day in Toronto the day I retired
(total eclipse of the sun May 11 '94. I went to work, had breakfast, a
coffee at my desk then put together a box of personal stuff and took
it out to the van and just kept on going).
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Way cool!

In spite of the fact that I sold my refining business in order to retire, I
looked back only briefly---the day after I emptied the lab (which was part
of the castle). I walked in as I had done for years, only this time with
my hands in my pockets, having a feeling of being worthless-------no longer
able to make a living. About ten minutes later, I was overcome with good
sense and realized that this was the exact thing I had worked for for my
entire life---and had hoped to occur sooner rather than later. I've never
looked back----and have enjoyed my retirement time immensely.

I trust you've missed the job like a chapped butt. :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

Mine is much the same. I'm entertaining the idea of buying a HAAS CNC
mill,
used. The boss is encouraging me all the way----I'm the one that's
hesitating. She's been such a great wife that I'm concerned about
spending money that she may need when I'm gone. I'm 13 years older than
she
is. If things continue working well, she's going to pass my
probationary
period. Been married 31 years now, she's getting close. :-)

Buying for fun or doing some production work? Does she have an interest
in learning?

Just for pleasure. I made the decision to avoid CNC when I was operating
my commercial shop. That served me perfectly well until I retired the shop
to pursue precious metal refining on a full time basis (back in '83), but I
now regret not having grown with CNC.. My skills on manual machines were
(and I hope still are) very good, thanks to working only that way---but
there are operations that are done with great difficulty, if at all, on
manual machines. A 3 axis CNC can do things I could only dream of on my
manual mill. Making molds for investment casting would be one of my
objective, plus the ability to engrave. A pantograph would be my alternate
choice, but the CNC is sitting in my garage as we speak. It was delivered
with no obligations, and serves as temporary storage for the rightful owner,
assuming I don't buy. We both benefit by the mutual agreement. My limited
contact with the machine is proving to be rather enjoyable. It opens doors
that might otherwise be closed for me.

The boss isn't too interested in learning-----she spends her time gardening
and pursuing her art glass collection. She's a model wife and encourages me
to go with my feelings---but has no interest aside from seeing me happy.
She suggested, just today, that if I die before her, there's already so
damned much stuff to get rid of that another machine won't make any
difference. I tend to agree. There are folks near that would look after
things for her. She's not adept at mechanical things in the least.

Drive a hard bargain so she can get the money back if you go silent key.

Wes

That's likely not an option. He's trying to sell because he upgraded to
one with a tool changer, and had no more room for the machine. I have a
rough idea of the price now----so I don't know how much I have in the way of
dicker room. The guy that owns the machine is OK---I'd want to treat him
fairly. After all, how many guys do you know that would deliver a machine to
your shop, no expense on your part, then spend time trying to help you learn
to operate the machine?

My interest is in building a model steam loco. Rods would be a lot easier
with a CNC, although not necessary.

Thanks for the very welcome comments, Wes. I appreciate anything I can
learn regards CNC. I feel like I'm completely naked and in a crowd where
they're concerned, very unlike my cock-sure attitude around manual machines.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave August" wrote in message
Yeah Dick was one of the good ones...

Indeed!

I met him many years ago, at the PNWLS club. It's located in Molalla,
Oregon, if you're not familiar. He and his wife, Georgia, were members and
had contributed a great deal to the club, only to be stabbed in the back by
Roy Larsen, the dude that was president of the club. They owned a small
house adjacent to the property before they fell on hard times with Roy. He
beat the club right into the ground before he finally died. They couldn't
get him out of office, thanks to his slight of hand in changing the bylaws
of the club. Dick and Georgia didn't deserve the treatment they received
at his hand.

Dick had Utah connections, so we reminisced about the "good old days" when
we'd talk.

I'm a 15 year member of GGLS and had many good times with him, we played
trains every where from Bitter Creek and Western to Train Mountain :-)

Funny we haven't crossed paths, although I have not attended many runs of
late, too busy building what seems to be the house from hell. I attended
the run at GGLS immediately after the IBLS run in LA, and at Bittercreek as
well, Doug Chancey, the founder, was alive and well then. A great guy, he
was. He personally invited the wife and me to attend the run at his track
that summer. Talk about some great memories.

The *other* locomotive I'm working on was one of the logging Mikes he
and SteveVitkovis designed (and later sold to RRWH), Dick was one of the
ones who said "make it your own" and though it was pretty cool that I
stretched the frame on that to make a 2-10-2 Minaret out of it.

Yeah My wife and I are pretty lucky to have found each other... After she
got her Instrument Rating and was waffeling a bit on buying the 182 I was
the one telling her "its only money" :-)

--.- Dave

All too cool! It's nice when a couple can get along, and share each other's
interests.
If I ever finish this damned house, maybe we'll meet at one of the runs. I
haven't been to TM for several years, but started going when there was
almost no track on the ground. The place has changed so much I don't even
recognize it any more.

The latest addition to management (at TM) is sure to make the place more
successful.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In spite of the fact that I sold my refining business in order to retire,
looked back only briefly---the day after I emptied the lab (which was part
of the castle). I walked in as I had done for years, only this time with
my hands in my pockets, having a feeling of being worthless-------no
longer able to make a living. About ten minutes later, I was overcome
with good sense and realized that this was the exact thing I had worked
for for my entire life---and had hoped to occur sooner rather than later.
I've never looked back----and have enjoyed my retirement time immensely.

I trust you've missed the job like a chapped butt. :-)

Harold

My retirement was forced but overdue at 57. At times, I missed the job.
And then, I had the chance to go to some conventions in Las Vegas. At
first, it was a missing something feeling. At the times when the convention
is roaring, and everything is clean and carpeted.

Then on the last day, the closing bell rings, and within half an hour,
it's pandemonium. Trash fills the carpet stripped aisles, and freight comes
surging in. Danger everywhere you turn. Exhibitors whining like little
children because they don't understand their freight is supposed to be
brought in first. And then, just the long hard hours of moving millions of
pounds of goods and freight out the door.

Then I thought, hell, I'm going fishing tomorrow and these guys are coming
back here at 0600.

I don't miss it any more, except that some times I get so busy around the
house, and doing retirement things that I wished I would have a 40 hour a
week job so I didn't put in so much unpaid overtime. ;-)

Puttering can be tiring.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gawd Harold I bet we HAVE crossed paths, just don't recognize each
other..lol..

Yeah I'm an old Wyoming boy with some realtives in SLC and Salem so Dick and
I laughed about that.

I still have the hand written note Doug Chancey sent me inviting me down to
BCWRR.. I count Karl Hovantz and Jack Bodenman as good frineds.

Exchanged many e-mails with QB. He was really intrigued by the Google map of
west coast live steam tracks I put up.
http://www.livesteam.org/

Q even offered to have Ross drive over to the Chiliquien airport to pick us
and the 440 up if I flew it up there,. (it WILL fit in the 182)... about a
year ago we did fly to TM for the tri-enial... had a frined come get us for
thay day.... I made a low, slow, flaps down pass over the steaming bays on
my way in, Barry Hague (of "SuperScale") still gives me a hard time about
that :-)

Yeah the buildout Q did for the IBLS meet was pretty impressive..

FWIW all the areial photos of local tracks, (GGLS, Sacto, BCWRR and even
TM) came for us... Wife is flying, I'm snapping...

--.- Dave

. net...

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:

That's likely not an option. He's trying to sell because he upgraded to
one with a tool changer, and had no more room for the machine. I have a
rough idea of the price now----so I don't know how much I have in the way of
dicker room. The guy that owns the machine is OK---I'd want to treat him
fairly. After all, how many guys do you know that would deliver a machine to
your shop, no expense on your part, then spend time trying to help you learn
to operate the machine?

If he is a friend, treat him well. I have a feeling he considers you a friend.

My interest is in building a model steam loco. Rods would be a lot easier
with a CNC, although not necessary.

Progress pics would be nice to see.

Thanks for the very welcome comments, Wes. I appreciate anything I can
learn regards CNC. I feel like I'm completely naked and in a crowd where
they're concerned, very unlike my cock-sure attitude around manual machines.

I fix the things. Outside of a waterjet system years ago I haven't done much cnc
programming.

Assuming this is a milling machine, learning cutter comp would be high on my list. Cutter
comp on a waterjet with a 0.005" nozzle wasn't much of an issue profiling a automotive
headliner.

On a mill, making sure the path you are cutting is on the correct side of your cutter is
pretty important to know.

The rest is stuff you know like speeds and feeds. The nice thing is that you can move x,y
and z at the same time, something you couldn't do on a manual machine. Then there is
circular interpolation. The cnc version of the rotary table. G02, G03. The form I was
most used to was start point in previous block (line). End point, center point in the
second block which had a G02/3 code. G02/3 X val Y val, I val, K val. IJK used to
reference center points of XYZ.

Some machines my need G17, G18, G19 as plane select. Why I don't know, I would think that
could be infered by the two out of 3 xyz values with corresponding ijk values.

I have a feeling you will be awesome soon on this machine. You know math, you know
machining, you just need to learn a few new words (g and m codes).

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 04:48:39 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I did go back for a semi-social event a year latter and realized how
good it was to be away from there. three years after retirement, I got
the chance to work three months in a working position rather than in
supervision, and thoroughly enjoyed myself.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
snip good stuff--

I have a feeling you will be awesome soon on this machine. You know math,
you know
machining, you just need to learn a few new words (g and m codes).

Wes

Heh! I appreciate your confidence in me, Wes. Hope I can live up to your
expectations!
Assuming I get far enough along to start building that 4-8-4 engine I've
talked about for years, I'll be certain to share the progress. Mean time,
I have to dedicate some time to learning the CNC well enough to make some
switch plates for the low voltage control lighting system I installed in the
new house. Then to master anodizing! :-)

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

Puttering can be tiring.

Yeah, really! So MANY projects, so LITTLE time! Which one
should I take a crack at first?

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Some machines my need G17, G18, G19 as plane select. Why I don't know, I would think that
could be infered by the two out of 3 xyz values with corresponding ijk values.

These select the plane of the arc. It needs this ONLY because
you can add a 3rd axis linear move to any arc to do helical
interpolation. It needs the G17, etc. to know which two axes
the arc is in, and which one is the additional linear axis.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:

Wes wrote:
Some machines my need G17, G18, G19 as plane select. Why I don't know, I would think that
could be infered by the two out of 3 xyz values with corresponding ijk values.

These select the plane of the arc. It needs this ONLY because
you can add a 3rd axis linear move to any arc to do helical
interpolation. It needs the G17, etc. to know which two axes
the arc is in, and which one is the additional linear axis.

I must have put that in needlessly. I did have some programs with helical moves on that
old AB8400 control. Cutting a round hole not aligned with the major axis was a pain. At
first I used two helical moves which is what I was taught to do at the manufacturers
training session.

Then I taught myself a trick. I programed two circles, one in XZ and the other one in YZ.
The machine had a scaling command that could scale each of two axis by different factors.
Then by rotating the a and b axis of the nozzle, I could cut an elipse that looked just
like a nice pretty circle when projected on a surface not aligned with two major axis.

Set scalling, g92 position preset, call the sub, return, g99 cancle position preset,
cancel scaling.

This machine was built in 1987 so it was fairly primitive.

I hated dealing with this machine so much that I convinced my boss to let me buy a couple
Fanuc S-10 robots to do waterjet with. I had a taste of a fairly primative RF control
Fanuc robot applying hotmelt adhesive to substrates that was so much nicer than dealing
with this gantry waterjet with a mill control.

I checked out the literature on the RH series and did some asking around and ended up
buying two S-10 robots from a company that was starting up in waterjet. I bought the
robots with plumbing, no integration. We built the cell in house, I designed it,
maintenance built the frame, I programed and wired it. It worked for over a decade and
may still be working. Plant failed and closed.

Later on, as I was more involved with IT related things, we bought complete cells from
that company. I still did in house stuff for adhesives and converted a robot cell we
picked up with a job from a failed firm into another waterjet cell.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

[...]

Steve, who'd you work for?

Just a bit of a brag JD[_2_] Woodturning 36 March 28th 08 10:55 PM
Just another brag JD Woodturning 10 December 13th 07 02:01 AM
OT Brag sweet sawdust Woodworking 4 June 15th 07 06:03 AM
Man makes 86 YO mother split own wood! Was: Possible Gloat/real gloat LRod Woodworking 0 May 3rd 06 04:32 PM
BRAG: successfully sharpened gouge David Walthall Woodturning 4 December 21st 03 06:42 AM