Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave August Dave August is offline

Default Gloat and brag

Gawd Harold I bet we HAVE crossed paths, just don't recognize each
other..lol..

Yeah I'm an old Wyoming boy with some realtives in SLC and Salem so Dick and
I laughed about that.

I still have the hand written note Doug Chancey sent me inviting me down to
BCWRR.. I count Karl Hovantz and Jack Bodenman as good frineds.

Exchanged many e-mails with QB. He was really intrigued by the Google map of
west coast live steam tracks I put up.
http://www.livesteam.org/

Q even offered to have Ross drive over to the Chiliquien airport to pick us
and the 440 up if I flew it up there,. (it WILL fit in the 182)... about a
year ago we did fly to TM for the tri-enial... had a frined come get us for
thay day.... I made a low, slow, flaps down pass over the steaming bays on
my way in, Barry Hague (of "SuperScale") still gives me a hard time about
that :-)

Yeah the buildout Q did for the IBLS meet was pretty impressive..

FWIW all the areial photos of local tracks, (GGLS, Sacto, BCWRR and even
TM) came for us... Wife is flying, I'm snapping...

--.- Dave

. net...

"Dave August" wrote in message
Yeah Dick was one of the good ones...

Indeed!

I met him many years ago, at the PNWLS club. It's located in Molalla,
Oregon, if you're not familiar. He and his wife, Georgia, were members
and had contributed a great deal to the club, only to be stabbed in the
back by Roy Larsen, the dude that was president of the club. They owned
a small house adjacent to the property before they fell on hard times with
Roy. He beat the club right into the ground before he finally died.
They couldn't get him out of office, thanks to his slight of hand in
changing the bylaws of the club. Dick and Georgia didn't deserve the
treatment they received at his hand.

Dick had Utah connections, so we reminisced about the "good old days" when
we'd talk.

I'm a 15 year member of GGLS and had many good times with him, we played
trains every where from Bitter Creek and Western to Train Mountain :-)

Funny we haven't crossed paths, although I have not attended many runs of
late, too busy building what seems to be the house from hell. I attended
the run at GGLS immediately after the IBLS run in LA, and at Bittercreek
as well, Doug Chancey, the founder, was alive and well then. A great guy,
he was. He personally invited the wife and me to attend the run at his
track that summer. Talk about some great memories.

The *other* locomotive I'm working on was one of the logging Mikes he
and SteveVitkovis designed (and later sold to RRWH), Dick was one of the
ones who said "make it your own" and though it was pretty cool that I
stretched the frame on that to make a 2-10-2 Minaret out of it.

Yeah My wife and I are pretty lucky to have found each other... After
she got her Instrument Rating and was waffeling a bit on buying the 182
I was the one telling her "its only money" :-)

--.- Dave

All too cool! It's nice when a couple can get along, and share each
other's interests.
If I ever finish this damned house, maybe we'll meet at one of the runs. I
haven't been to TM for several years, but started going when there was
almost no track on the ground. The place has changed so much I don't
even recognize it any more.

The latest addition to management (at TM) is sure to make the place more
successful.

Harold