Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JD JD is offline

Default Just another brag

I don't post often (primarily because it seems I know less than most
people here do), but I read this discussion board on a weekly basis.
The insights, ideas, knowledge, and all around good humor makes this
discussion board a pleasure to read. I wish to thank everyone who
contributes to this board and thank you for contributing your
knowledge. In other words, as I tell my university students when they
ask me what I've done all day, thanks for "stamping out ignorance in
the world." Without the ability to share what one learns, what good is
it to know something?
Again, I appreciate this discussion board and the patience that many
of you show with those of us who have a lesser knowledge of wood
turning.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,
Thanks for the knowledge and the laughs,

JD
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Nicely said, JD. I sure wouldn't feel intimidated around here as
there are all levels of learning and experience on this newsgroup.
After lurking for a while, you should know which threads to avoid,
which ones to watch, and which posters you are interested in.

I am sure you have ideas of value for us, so don't be shy. Put your
iron plated underwear on and post away!

Welcome to the fray!

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"JD" wrote in message
In other words, as I tell my university students when they
ask me what I've done all day, thanks for "stamping out ignorance in
the world." Without the ability to share what one learns, what good is
it to know something?

A never ending task. Have a feeling we're losing ground.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I second the motion about the quality of this group!! Lots of good
information and good will here.

Even my stupid questions get kindly answers.

I look on it as a place to share what I do know, even if I don't know
it all--someone else usually supplies the missing pieces.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone, and best
wishes for another wordy New Year.

Old Guy,
Wishing the weather would warm a bit so he can use his shop.

On Dec 10, 1:31 pm, JD wrote:
I don't post often (primarily because it seems I know less than most
people here do), but I read this discussion board on a weekly basis.
The insights, ideas, knowledge, and all around good humor makes this
discussion board a pleasure to read. I wish to thank everyone who
contributes to this board and thank you for contributing your
knowledge. In other words, as I tell my university students when they
ask me what I've done all day, thanks for "stamping out ignorance in
the world." Without the ability to share what one learns, what good is
it to know something?
Again, I appreciate this discussion board and the patience that many
of you show with those of us who have a lesser knowledge of wood
turning.
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,
Thanks for the knowledge and the laughs,

JD

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Old Guy wrote:
I second the motion about the quality of this group!! Lots of good
information and good will here.

Even my stupid questions get kindly answers.

I look on it as a place to share what I do know, even if I don't know
it all--someone else usually supplies the missing pieces.

Anyhow, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone, and best
wishes for another wordy New Year.

Old Guy,
Wishing the weather would warm a bit so he can use his shop.

You can come down and use mine. Supposed to be 82 today. May have to
turn on the AC. You can finish the tree ornament that has been on the
lathe the past two days then work on my backlog of bowls that are dry.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

To err is human. To blame someone else
is politics.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Gerald Ross said:

Old Guy wrote:

Old Guy,
Wishing the weather would warm a bit so he can use his shop.

You can come down and use mine. Supposed to be 82 today. May have to
turn on the AC. You can finish the tree ornament that has been on the
lathe the past two days then work on my backlog of bowls that are dry.

Tell ya what - send the blanks to me. It's only 76 here.
I'll box up and return the curly bits. ;-)

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi JD, Thanks for your good post. Keep em coming and more often. Right
or wrong some of us will agree with you and some won't. As you said,
It's the good humor that counts and it prevails here.

When I was teaching grad students, I counted enthusiasm about equal to
scholarship in "stamping out ignorance", at least for the long term. As
I followed their careers over the years excepting for the rare truly
brilliant ones, my opinion was justified.

What has been your experience in teaching and in turning wood? Just an
outrageous ploy to get you to start sharing the things you know ...or
as with many of us here the things you think you know.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JD JD is offline

What has been your experience in teaching and in turning wood? Just an
outrageous ploy to get you to start sharing the things you know ...or
as with many of us here the things you think you know.

Arch,

I think there are a lot of similarities in wood turning and teaching.
I see a lot of freshmen walk into my classroom the first time and
after a few days with them, I feel like I know which ones are going to
make it and which ones aren't. More often than not, I'm surprised at
the end of the semester when I find my assumptions were totally wrong,
those I thought were good to go, partied their way out of college.
Those who I thought would never make it, knuckle down and get the job
done (with a little encouragement and a firm push). Turning wood is
similar because there has been several times when I selected a piece
of wood from the pile knowing it was going to be the best I've ever
turned, only to see it turn into some horrible creation that I
couldn't get the dog to eat from. Other times, I feel I'm wasting my
time finishing a turning because the wood just doesn't seem to have
the right shape, figure, grain, etc. only to find out when completed
and a nice finish applied that it was actually a very beautiful piece
to behold.

I guess the hardest part about teaching, and wood turning, is that you
have to face the reality that you can't get it right every time. I've
been crushed when a bowl cracked while on the lathe and I've been
crushed when a student I've worked hard to get excited about gaining
an education decides to walk away from it and quit. All you can do is
chuck another piece of wood in the lathe and look forward to the start
of the next semester.

JD

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

JD
It is great to have you here . Feel free to put in your two cents worth (is
that now a buck and a half after inflation?). Just think of the new students
who, under the guise of enthusiasm, asked a question about something you
read a thousand times and you realize you never looked at it that way
before. Minor revelation is still revelation. I am amazed at how many times
a newcomer to turning or lots of other things has made me look anew at the
obvious that I have forgotten. Jump in here. It is a good group that mostly
realizes a good question can be as valuable as a good answer. Happens to me
in Bible study as much of the time as I let it. The rule likely apply to
turning as much as Bible study:

1) the pastor is not always right
2) the other opinion is always valuable, even if wrong and certainly if
right
3) nuisance value is vastly under-rated
4) questions can be more valuable than answers
5) questions without answers are generally worth pursuing
6) good answers lead to good questions

This is not a definitive list of rules {see (1) above}but putting expert in
for pastor makes them work for wood turning and most other stuff. Remember,
the pastor is only expert in the perception of the people, if he or she is
expert in his or her own opinion, that person is not qualified for the job.

Ramble, ramble, ramble...... Have a good one.
--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"JD" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Old Guy said:

On Dec 11, 7:04 am, Greg wrote:

Gerald Ross said:

Old Guy wrote:

Wishing the weather would warm a bit so he can use his shop.

You can come down and use mine. Supposed to be 82 today. May have to
turn on the AC. You can finish the tree ornament that has been on the
lathe the past two days then work on my backlog of bowls that are dry.

Tell ya what - send the blanks to me. It's only 76 here.
I'll box up and return the curly bits. ;-)

What great friends I have!!!

I know the feeling. ;-)
Why do you think Leaona Helmsley left a fortune to her dog?!

Greg G.

OT Brag sweet sawdust Woodworking 4 June 15th 07 06:03 AM
BRAG: successfully sharpened gouge David Walthall Woodturning 4 December 21st 03 06:42 AM