Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default cutting sheet aluminum on 12 inch wood bandsaw

As a electronic guy I often need to cut 1/16-3/16" & sometimes 1/2
small pieces of Aluminum, I
have a Craftsman cast iorn 12" bandsaw. They sell metal cutting
blades for these all the time
however I know I will have to drop the rpm. One blade has 9 tpi the
other 14 tpi but neither say
what rpm to run. The stock saw has 1725rpm motor 2/1 pully for 862
rpm of the 12" wheel.
If i figure it right thats around 2700 fpm, again this is for wood
cutting. What would be a good
fpm to go for when cutting aluminum. Another thing is both say for
non ferrous metals but will
also cut thin ferrous metals, one 9tpi and ones 14tpi both fit the
same model saw, I guessing the
9tpi could run a faster fpm?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

N4aeq wrote:
As a electronic guy I often need to cut 1/16-3/16" & sometimes 1/2
small pieces of Aluminum, I
have a Craftsman cast iorn 12" bandsaw. They sell metal cutting
blades for these all the time
however I know I will have to drop the rpm. One blade has 9 tpi the
other 14 tpi but neither say
what rpm to run. The stock saw has 1725rpm motor 2/1 pully for 862
rpm of the 12" wheel.
If i figure it right thats around 2700 fpm, again this is for wood
cutting. What would be a good
fpm to go for when cutting aluminum. Another thing is both say for
non ferrous metals but will
also cut thin ferrous metals, one 9tpi and ones 14tpi both fit the
same model saw, I guessing the
9tpi could run a faster fpm?

If you have the space, you'd be better off
just to get one of these when they are on sale...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 19, 3:27*pm, N4aeq wrote:
*As a electronic guy I often need to cut 1/16-3/16" & sometimes 1/2
small pieces of Aluminum, I
have a Craftsman cast iorn 12" bandsaw. *They sell metal cutting
blades for these all the time
however I know I will have to drop the rpm. *One blade has 9 tpi the
other 14 tpi but neither say
what rpm to run. *The stock saw has 1725rpm motor 2/1 pully for 862
rpm of the 12" wheel.
*If i figure it right thats around 2700 fpm, again this is for wood
cutting. *What would be a good
fpm to go for when cutting aluminum. *Another thing is both say for
non ferrous metals but will
also cut thin ferrous metals, one 9tpi and ones 14tpi both fit the
same model saw, I guessing the
9tpi could run a faster fpm?

14TPI is good, and AFAIK wood speeds are OK for aluminum although I
like slower settings, only because then I can risk cutting closer to
the line and have less cleanup.

If you cut steel (ferrous) the speed needs to be way down around 100 -
200 FPM even for thin sheet. Otherwise the tips of the teeth will
overheat and soften almost instantly.

Break's over, back to cutting & bending aluminum.
Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In general, I've considered that alumimum should be sawed at about 1000
surface feet per minute, about 1/3 the speed of wood band sawing. And
steel at about 1/10th the speed of aluminum, or somewhere between 80 and
150 SFM.
Another general rule is to have at least 2 teeth in the work at any
given time. At 14 tpi, you'd not quite have 2 teeth in 1/16" thick
stock. a 9tpi blade would be even worse, at about .110 between teeth.
I wouldn't run it any faster just because it has less teeth. To me
that would just mean that the teeth hit the work harder.
I use either 14 tpi blades in my band saws or the 10-14 tooth type.
When I do occasionally cut 14 or 16 ga steel stock, I just take it
easy on the blade. With high quality blades, I have only ever lost one
or two teeth in a blade, over 25 or 30 years.

One neat way to slow down a machine like yours is to go get a used
gearmotor, one that goes a lot slower than your current motor. Install
that motor below or farther away from the saw pulley than the current
motor. Get the proper belt. Then just change belt and engergize the
appropriate motor for the speed you need to run.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------------------------

N4aeq wrote:
As a electronic guy I often need to cut 1/16-3/16" & sometimes 1/2
small pieces of Aluminum, I
have a Craftsman cast iorn 12" bandsaw. They sell metal cutting
blades for these all the time
however I know I will have to drop the rpm. One blade has 9 tpi the
other 14 tpi but neither say
what rpm to run. The stock saw has 1725rpm motor 2/1 pully for 862
rpm of the 12" wheel.
If i figure it right thats around 2700 fpm, again this is for wood
cutting. What would be a good
fpm to go for when cutting aluminum. Another thing is both say for
non ferrous metals but will
also cut thin ferrous metals, one 9tpi and ones 14tpi both fit the
same model saw, I guessing the
9tpi could run a faster fpm?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 16:22:46 -0500, spaco
wrote:

One neat way to slow down a machine like yours is to go get a used
gearmotor, one that goes a lot slower than your current motor. Install
that motor below or farther away from the saw pulley than the current
motor. Get the proper belt. Then just change belt and engergize the
appropriate motor for the speed you need to run.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------------------------

Take a look here for an idea on using a speed reduction unit to slow
down your bandsaw.

http://neme-s.org/Oshkosh_2007/Carlstedt/DSC02356.JPG

Errol Groff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

N4aeq wrote:

As a electronic guy I often need to cut 1/16-3/16" & sometimes 1/2
small pieces of Aluminum, I

500 fpm on HSS bands is more like it if my various charts are right, so you are going too
fast. Got a table saw? Carbide tipped blades work well on aluminum. I cut 2" dia
aluminum rounds on my chopsaw often.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

N4aeq wrote:
As a electronic guy I often need to cut 1/16-3/16" & sometimes 1/2
small pieces of Aluminum, I
have a Craftsman cast iorn 12" bandsaw. They sell metal cutting
blades for these all the time
however I know I will have to drop the rpm. One blade has 9 tpi the
other 14 tpi but neither say
what rpm to run. The stock saw has 1725rpm motor 2/1 pully for 862
rpm of the 12" wheel.
If i figure it right thats around 2700 fpm, again this is for wood
cutting. What would be a good
fpm to go for when cutting aluminum. Another thing is both say for
non ferrous metals but will
also cut thin ferrous metals, one 9tpi and ones 14tpi both fit the
same model saw, I guessing the
9tpi could run a faster fpm?

I'm an electronic guy also but I have been volunteering at a local
high school metal shop for 6 or 7 years. We have two vertical band
saws, 20 in.or more, one set up for steel and the other for Aluminium.
The Aluminium one is running in 2000+ fpm with a 4 tpi blade and I've
cut everything from 1" down to 1/16" with it. When cutting thin stuff
just feed slowly and keep it down solid against the table. Sure it
would be some better to have a higher tooth count for the thinner
material but changing blades is a PAIN. :-) The only problem we
have is when students try to cut off the risers on the castings
and let it cock over and either break or badly bend the blade.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:27:39 -0700 (PDT), N4aeq
wrote:

As a electronic guy I often need to cut 1/16-3/16" & sometimes 1/2
small pieces of Aluminum, I
have a Craftsman cast iorn 12" bandsaw. They sell metal cutting
blades for these all the time
however I know I will have to drop the rpm. One blade has 9 tpi the
other 14 tpi but neither say
what rpm to run. The stock saw has 1725rpm motor 2/1 pully for 862
rpm of the 12" wheel.
If i figure it right thats around 2700 fpm, again this is for wood
cutting. What would be a good
fpm to go for when cutting aluminum.

Oh, about 2700fpm would be good.g The chart on my DoAll says
1500fpm, but only because that's the saw's highest speed. Machinery's
Handboook says 1000 to 3000fpm. I used to cut aluminum at around
5500fpm on a 36" saw I owned, but softer alloys are more prone to
gumming the blade at that speed. A bar of stick wax, made for metal
cutting, will help prevent that.

A 6 TPI hook tooth, same as for wood, is a good all-around blade for
aluminum, a somewhat finer blade might be better at the low end of
your thickness range. The usual 3 teeth in the work rule for cutting
metals at low speed does not apply to soft materials at high speed;
you'd have to be feeding your material at 16 inches per second to take
a .003 chip per tooth with the above setup. If you don't already have
something close, most small cities will have a saw shop that will make
up any blade you want.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

For me, the cheapest way and often the most accurate to cut all
kinds metals is to use a variable speed fixed base jig saw, my
preference is a Porter Cable. I was dubious at first. Not the best
tool for squares and rounds(it will cut them though if pieces are
properly held), but great for flats. I cut 1/4" steel with it no
problem, use saw wax that is available at Home Depot and similar. Put
cutting oil or wax along the line to be cut, it is pain to keep
stopping to lube but a necessity. I can cut a notch in a piece of 1/8"
angle iron within a 1/16", a real time saver. Also when cutting wear
long sleeves, long pants and face shield- hot chips fly around. I
clamp on a straight edge to make excellent cuts in 1/8" steel plate
finish with a file and it looks factory made. I used to have a plasma
cutter and preferred the jigsaw in many instances because of the
precision. You will go through blades, maybe spend $2-3 dollars on a
24" cut in 1/8" ferrous, totally worth it for me. If want to get real
fancy mount a coolant mister on the saw and be sure to use a GFI.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 18:59:22 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

Make that,

you'd have to be feeding your material at *10 inches per second* to take
a .003 chip per tooth with the above setup.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Another way to cut the thin stuff is to sandwich it btween a couple of
pieces of scrap laywood. This gives it support and holds it in place.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"N4aeq" wrote in message
As a electronic guy I often need to cut 1/16-3/16" & sometimes 1/2
small pieces of Aluminum, I
have a Craftsman cast iorn 12" bandsaw.

for what it's worth, I have a wood cutting bandsaw and when I need to cut
aluminum I cut it just fine, same coarse blade, etc - just feed slowly so
you don't damage the blade - I'm sure a metal cutting fine toothed blade
would be better

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 19, 1:27*pm, N4aeq wrote:
*As a electronic guy I often need to cut 1/16-3/16" & sometimes 1/2
small pieces of Aluminum, I
have a Craftsman cast iorn 12" bandsaw. *They sell metal cutting
blades for these all the time
however I know I will have to drop the rpm. *One blade has 9 tpi the
other 14 tpi but neither say
what rpm to run. *The stock saw has 1725rpm motor 2/1 pully for 862
rpm of the 12" wheel.
*If i figure it right thats around 2700 fpm, again this is for wood
cutting. *What would be a good
fpm to go for when cutting aluminum. *Another thing is both say for
non ferrous metals but will
also cut thin ferrous metals, one 9tpi and ones 14tpi both fit the
same model saw, I guessing the
9tpi could run a faster fpm?

One problem is that the rubber tires pick up the aluminum swarf,
particularly if you use cutting wax sticks.. When you switch back to
wood, this will come loose and embed itself in your project just at
the worst possible spot to remove it before finishing. DAMHIK. In my
shop, thin aluminum sheet gets either sheared or whacked out with a
saber saw and a fine blade. Sandwiching it with scrap door skins makes
it a lot easier to cut, I used to get mine from a lumber yard that
usually had a few than the pallet bands messed up and could be had
cheap.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

N4aeq wrote:

As a electronic guy I often need to cut 1/16-3/16" & sometimes 1/2
small pieces of Aluminum, I
have a Craftsman cast iorn 12" bandsaw. They sell metal cutting
blades for these all the time
however I know I will have to drop the rpm. One blade has 9 tpi the
other 14 tpi but neither say
what rpm to run. The stock saw has 1725rpm motor 2/1 pully for 862
rpm of the 12" wheel.
If i figure it right thats around 2700 fpm, again this is for wood
cutting. What would be a good
fpm to go for when cutting aluminum. Another thing is both say for
non ferrous metals but will
also cut thin ferrous metals, one 9tpi and ones 14tpi both fit the
same model saw, I guessing the
9tpi could run a faster fpm?

Run the wood blade, at wood speeds. If the aluminum is really thin,
put a backer under the sheet (some scrap ply or mdf)

It works fine, and wont hurt anything. Just dont ram the material into
the blade (good advice, no matter what you are cutting!)

Cheers
Trev