Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default cutting sheet aluminum on 12 inch wood bandsaw

On Jun 19, 3:27*pm, N4aeq wrote:
*As a electronic guy I often need to cut 1/16-3/16" & sometimes 1/2
small pieces of Aluminum, I
have a Craftsman cast iorn 12" bandsaw. *They sell metal cutting
blades for these all the time
however I know I will have to drop the rpm. *One blade has 9 tpi the
other 14 tpi but neither say
what rpm to run. *The stock saw has 1725rpm motor 2/1 pully for 862
rpm of the 12" wheel.
*If i figure it right thats around 2700 fpm, again this is for wood
cutting. *What would be a good
fpm to go for when cutting aluminum. *Another thing is both say for
non ferrous metals but will
also cut thin ferrous metals, one 9tpi and ones 14tpi both fit the
same model saw, I guessing the
9tpi could run a faster fpm?

14TPI is good, and AFAIK wood speeds are OK for aluminum although I
like slower settings, only because then I can risk cutting closer to
the line and have less cleanup.

If you cut steel (ferrous) the speed needs to be way down around 100 -
200 FPM even for thin sheet. Otherwise the tips of the teeth will
overheat and soften almost instantly.

Break's over, back to cutting & bending aluminum.
Jim Wilkins