John Doe

Default bandsaw cutting a Teflon coated cookie sheet?

I have a "professional weight steal" premium nonstick cookie sheet
that I might like to cut. My band saw has a metal cutting blade
installed.

I'm not concerned about handling the cookie sheet while cutting. In
case anyone happens to know, I'm wondering if the Teflon might
chip/peel/whatever, and whether the steel should cut easily enough.

I have a good rotary tool as an alternative cutting tool.

I do not want to test cutting the thing. If cutting might be a
problem, I probably will just buy a more appropriate size cookie
sheet for my application (optical mouse pad).

Thank you.
Wild Bill

Cutting sheetmetal with any type of saw is a little more complicated than
cutting thick stock.

For sheetmetal on a bandsaw, jig or scroll saw, you'll most likely achieve
better results and less blade damage if the sheetmetal is backed-up with a
dense material similar to hardboard or masonite. Gluing the metal to the
backer works well.

The steel sheet you have may not cut very well with tinsnips for your
purpose, because there will be some distortion at the cut, then the sheet
won't be completely flat.

WB

"John Doe" wrote in message
I have a "professional weight steal" premium nonstick cookie sheet
that I might like to cut. My band saw has a metal cutting blade
installed.

I'm not concerned about handling the cookie sheet while cutting. In
case anyone happens to know, I'm wondering if the Teflon might
chip/peel/whatever, and whether the steel should cut easily enough.

I have a good rotary tool as an alternative cutting tool.

I do not want to test cutting the thing. If cutting might be a
problem, I probably will just buy a more appropriate size cookie
sheet for my application (optical mouse pad).

Thank you.

D Murphy

John Doe wrote in
:

I have a "professional weight steal" premium nonstick cookie sheet
that I might like to cut. My band saw has a metal cutting blade
installed.

I'm not concerned about handling the cookie sheet while cutting. In
case anyone happens to know, I'm wondering if the Teflon might
chip/peel/whatever, and whether the steel should cut easily enough.

I have a good rotary tool as an alternative cutting tool.

I do not want to test cutting the thing. If cutting might be a
problem, I probably will just buy a more appropriate size cookie
sheet for my application (optical mouse pad).

Teflon is not actually bonded to the pan chemically speaking. The pan is
sand blasted to roughen up the surface, then a primer is applied, then the
Teflon. The Teflon get into the nooks and crannies created by the sand
blasting, and as it cures it "grabs" the rough surface. If you get it too
hot it will let go of the surface.

You should be able to cut it with a band saw, which may cause a little
peeling near the edge. I would sandwich it between some wood which should
help. Cut with the good side up. The big thing to avoid is getting it too
hot. Which seems unlikely on a bandsaw, but might happen if you power sand
or grind the edges after.

--

Dan

Richard J Kinch

John Doe writes:

I have a "professional weight steal" premium nonstick cookie sheet
that I might like to cut.

Dunno your application, but MSC sells Teflon sheets treated to be gluable
on one side. Works great with ordinary epoxy.
John Doe

Richard J Kinch wrote:
John Doe writes:

I have a "professional weight steal" premium nonstick cookie
sheet that I might like to cut.

Dunno your application,

Mousepad for my new optical/laser mouse.

but MSC sells Teflon sheets treated to be gluable
on one side. Works great with ordinary epoxy.

Do you have a link for that, or more details please. I do not know
what the acronym stands for or where to get Teflon sheets.

I just bought another, very heavy duty cookie sheet with a
smoother/glossy surface. Number one priority is glide, the slicker
the better. Unfortunately it is even bigger. I will probably go on
a serious shopping trip to some bakeware store.

Thanks.

JohnM

John Doe wrote:
Richard J Kinch wrote:

John Doe writes:

I have a "professional weight steal" premium nonstick cookie
sheet that I might like to cut.

Dunno your application,

Mousepad for my new optical/laser mouse.

Didja try the mouse on the teflon first to make sure it can see that
surface?

They're sure a slick mouse, no problems with crud buildup, etc.

John
Ned Simmons

In article ,
lid says...
Richard J Kinch wrote:
John Doe writes:

I have a "professional weight steal" premium nonstick cookie
sheet that I might like to cut.

Dunno your application,

Mousepad for my new optical/laser mouse.

but MSC sells Teflon sheets treated to be gluable
on one side. Works great with ordinary epoxy.

MSC -
http://www1.mscdirect.com

Another option, nearly as slippery, less expensive, and
available with an adhesive backing is UHMW polyethylene.
Try McMaster part number 1441T11

http://www.mcmaster.com/

McMaster will also have the prepared teflon.

Ned Simmons
John Doe

JohnM wrote:

Didja try the mouse on the teflon first to make sure it can see
that surface?

The cordless laser mouse works on both Teflon surfaces so far. I'm
not familiar with ordinary optical mice. A brief skipping issue
was easily resolved by repositioning the receiver.

They're sure a slick mouse, no problems with crud buildup, etc.

The fact it will slide around easier given the right surface
should more than make up for the slight weight increase over my
old cordless ball mouse.

I agree with WB. You need to back it up with something, plywood would
work.
The problem is that you can hardly get blades with enough teeth per
inch to always have a tooth or two in the work. I don't think you need
to glue the backer to the sheet metal. Use as fine toothed blade as
you have. Try it out on a tin can for a test cut. You will need to
smooth it out with a file after the cut, but that should not take long.

Dan

Doug Schultz

Any chance you can angle the sheet?
I think it might cut nicer if you were positioning the sheet face up and
with one end higher than the other so that there is more blade in contact
with the sheet in the cut.
and also as others have suggested clamp it between 2 pieces of wood to help
reduce chipping out of the teflon.

Doug