Default cutting holes in 3mm aluminum sheet

What is the best way to cut holes too big for a drill ?
Aluminium sheet approc 3mm thick.
TIA,
Simon.

nightjar

wrote in message
oups.com...
What is the best way to cut holes too big for a drill ?
Aluminium sheet approc 3mm thick.

No hole is too large for a drill, unless you mean too large to drill through
in one pass. You just drill lots of smaller holes just inside the waste area
of the hole you want, join them up and file the edge smooth. Alternatively,
take it to a sheet metal workshop, where they will probably use a big press
to punch the hole for you in a fraction of the time.

Colin Bignell

What sort of holes? Round, square, size?
Round, about 20mm diameter. I could maybe get a drill that size.
Simon.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
wrote:
What sort of holes? Round, square, size?

Round, about 20mm diameter. I could maybe get a drill that size.

What you really need is a Q-Max punch. This gives a near perfect hole with
no distortion of the sheet.

About a fiver from any decent tool shop.

--
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Chip

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:20:08 +0100,it is alleged that Nobody
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...Hole%20Cutters

That page is SO bookmarked:-) Can't believe the low prices!

--
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind.
- Albert Einstein
Rob Morley

In article , "raden"
says...
In message . com,
writes
What sort of holes? Round, square, size?

Round, about 20mm diameter. I could maybe get a drill that size.
Simon.

Something like

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=TL06485&N=411

although you should be able to get them much cheaper, about £20 IIRC

Someone already posted a link to one at Screwfix.
raden

In message , Rob Morley
writes
In article , "raden"
says...
In message . com,
writes
What sort of holes? Round, square, size?
Round, about 20mm diameter. I could maybe get a drill that size.
Simon.

Something like

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...=TL06485&N=411

although you should be able to get them much cheaper, about £20 IIRC

Someone already posted a link to one at Screwfix.

Really ?

Yes I saw it

--
geoff
John Rumm

What sort of holes? Round, square, size?

Round, about 20mm diameter. I could maybe get a drill that size.

Or a hole saw:

Cheers,

John.

nightjar

wrote in message
ups.com...
What sort of holes? Round, square, size?

Round, about 20mm diameter. I could maybe get a drill that size.

For that diameter, I would use a No 4 Norton's fly press and a punch & die
set, but I doubt most people have them available. The easiest way with a
drill would be a hole saw or a step drill, both of which are readily
available from electrical wholesalers; 20mm is a standard size for
electrical conduit.

Colin Bignell

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
nightjar nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote:
For that diameter, I would use a No 4 Norton's fly press and a punch &
die set, but I doubt most people have them available. The easiest way
with a drill would be a hole saw or a step drill, both of which are
readily available from electrical wholesalers; 20mm is a standard size
for electrical conduit.

Having punched many holes in electronic chassis etc, the best way by far
without an expensive press is a Q-max which produces a near perfect hole.
Hole saws don't, and neither do step drills. It's also difficult to keep a
step drill from wandering. A Q-Max can be as accurate as your skills in
positioning it.

3mm ally sheet will be fine - but keep the threads in the punch well
greased.

They're about a fiver for a 20mm one.

--
*If you don't pay your exorcist you get repossessed.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Tony Williams

In article . com,
wrote:
What sort of holes? Round, square, size?

Round, about 20mm diameter. I could maybe get a drill that size.

About 25 years ago I bought a tapered cutter, tradename
Conecut. It needs about a 12mm to start and will gradually
widen the hole up to a maximum of 35mm. Very (very) expensive,
but one of those tools you keep for years and, each time you
need it, it pays it's ground rent.

When sharp it would even drill a perfect hole for a wastepipe
in the side of a wooden sink unit. It was only used it in the
carpenters brace, and that kept it sharp for about 15 years.
Then one day (as you do) I needed something done in a hurry and
used it in the 600rpm 1hp Stanley drill.

--
Tony Williams.

Well, I used a hole saw + hand drill in the end. I clamped the alu
sheet onto a good block of wood, punched it, drilled a very small pilot
hole, drilled a long pilot hole into the wood using the drill bit that
came with the saw, attached the saw, and it went through fairly easily.
I used quite a slow drill speed. I think steel would have been more of
a job.
Thanks for all the responses.
Simon.

raden

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
wrote:

What is the best way to cut holes too big for a drill ?
Aluminium sheet approc 3mm thick.
TIA,
Simon.

20 ton press

Ooh, I've prolly got one of those in my toolbox

and punch and die set.

Qmax cutters for the one offs

--
geoff

Happiness: cheapie jigsaw, metal-cutting blade, 2mm ali sheet, neat30cm circle! Stefek Zaba UK diy 6 May 1st 05 10:50 PM
Drilling oblique holes in sheet stock Joe Metalworking 2 December 12th 04 09:47 PM
Gear cutting...am I crazy? (long) Glenn Lyford Metalworking 27 December 27th 03 06:39 AM
Boring dog holes... Silvan Woodworking 5 November 4th 03 07:10 PM
I want to start cutting sheet aluminum... Phil Mitchell Metalworking 8 October 29th 03 03:49 AM