Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
texasjim1093 texasjim1093 is offline

Default cutting sheet aluminum on 12 inch wood bandsaw

For me, the cheapest way and often the most accurate to cut all
kinds metals is to use a variable speed fixed base jig saw, my
preference is a Porter Cable. I was dubious at first. Not the best
tool for squares and rounds(it will cut them though if pieces are
properly held), but great for flats. I cut 1/4" steel with it no
problem, use saw wax that is available at Home Depot and similar. Put
cutting oil or wax along the line to be cut, it is pain to keep
stopping to lube but a necessity. I can cut a notch in a piece of 1/8"
angle iron within a 1/16", a real time saver. Also when cutting wear
long sleeves, long pants and face shield- hot chips fly around. I
clamp on a straight edge to make excellent cuts in 1/8" steel plate
finish with a file and it looks factory made. I used to have a plasma
cutter and preferred the jigsaw in many instances because of the
precision. You will go through blades, maybe spend $2-3 dollars on a
24" cut in 1/8" ferrous, totally worth it for me. If want to get real
fancy mount a coolant mister on the saw and be sure to use a GFI.