Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG DanG is offline

Default cutting sheet aluminum on 12 inch wood bandsaw

You will have much better success to use wood blades and wood
speeds with aluminum. Stick wax or appropriate coolant to prevent
galling the blade. Wood working carbide table and chop saw are
fast, sage, and efficient. Bandsaw and router for curves, etc.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"N4aeq" wrote in message
As a electronic guy I often need to cut 1/16-3/16" & sometimes
1/2
small pieces of Aluminum, I
have a Craftsman cast iorn 12" bandsaw. They sell metal cutting
blades for these all the time
however I know I will have to drop the rpm. One blade has 9 tpi
the
other 14 tpi but neither say
what rpm to run. The stock saw has 1725rpm motor 2/1 pully for
862
rpm of the 12" wheel.
If i figure it right thats around 2700 fpm, again this is for
wood
cutting. What would be a good
fpm to go for when cutting aluminum. Another thing is both say
for
non ferrous metals but will
also cut thin ferrous metals, one 9tpi and ones 14tpi both fit
the
same model saw, I guessing the
9tpi could run a faster fpm?